What really goes on inside (1 Viewer)

Rodger Gu

HSC
I've always admired people with a talent. Especially those with high cognitive ability or intellect. I am just an above average student, nothing flashy. But I've always wondered what goes on inside the brains of the really smart people. I shall define smart people as people who constantly score 95% + in every single exam if not higher. If your one of those people, please be modest. Share your thoughts on what goes on inside your head.
E.G
How do you study for tests

muzeikchun852

HSC
i really wanna know too..i got a friend, although he didnt study much, he still get extremely good mark for every subjects. thats just properly his talent or something.

HSC
I usually get above 95%, and all it takes is dedication to study and to think outside the box.

dancing_mermaid

HSC
I do this, but everyone I know considers me incredibly stupid, so I'm not sure it's the best criterion.

I don't study or prepare, but I do make a lot of connections between facts, rather than leaving the chunks of information as separate in my mind. Also, I have a pretty good memory - not great, but enough that i remember statistics from a few years ago without studying them and can quote texts pretty easily in essays.

I think everyone's braisn follow pretty similar paths, though. I do find talking about the general subject matter helpful, because I get into the habit of expressing the ideas I'll need in the exam.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I usually get above 95%, and all it takes is dedication to study and to think outside the box.
I wish I was as smart as you. Sitting here behind my computer screen and reading your comment makes me feel useless and stupid.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
exam techniques
- by studying what is gonna be tested
- by learning ahead
- by studying from past examination questions
- manage time well and check answers after exam

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
people, tell me if hardwork or brains is central to coming first in everything...

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If you're talking about year 10 and lower, if you have good memory just asking your friends for a quick summary of the topic should suffice as study if you pay attention in class/info sinks in while you're day dreaming.

Other than that, just ask questions when you don't understand something in class so the teacher can explain it to you instead of staying silent and being scared of asking because you'd sound "stupid". There's probably 5+ people wondering the same thing but they're too scared to ask as well :)

Flicking through your exercise book and discussing concepts with your friends also helps too.

Rodger Gu

HSC
Does anyone think that the people that score 95+ are born with it? Or do they just put in more effort than the rest of us.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Does anyone think that the people that score 95+ are born with it? Or do they just put in more effort than the rest of us.
Noone is completely born with it. Even prodigies have to make an effort in developing their skills. At the most you may be born with an eminent aptitude but its your efforts that really pave your path.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
tbh, a combination of both.
People who are born gifted and proceeds to study hard for the HSC are the ones that will score 99+ for the HSC.

themepark

HSC
It is deffinently a bit of both. Up to grade 10, and in biology which I found a lot of general knowledge, I would consistantly get 90+ with little or know work because I was abole to understand the stuff when we first learnt it and then would get 'super powers' in the exams lol and be able to rember stuff that I didn't know I even knew. General knowlege got me through it.

Now if it is an exam you can study for I am often annihilated because I have not learnt how to study or the self motivation to stay home and do work rather then something far more enjoyable... hence I am dissapointed with how my hsc has gone so far and have not started looking at stuff for my last exam on wednesday.

So I think 'brains' can only get you so far, then you have to have the brains to kick your butt into gear for the last year or so (or 3 days in my case) to really get the good final mark and ATAR of 95+

Rodger Gu

HSC
I would be really disappointed if I don't receive an ATAR of over 99. I am an average student scoring probably an average of 80-90 in most tests. What are just some tips to help me achieve my goal.

fullonoob

fail engrish? unpossible!
HSC
I would be really disappointed if I don't receive an ATAR of over 99. I am an average student scoring probably an average of 80-90 in most tests. What are just some tips to help me achieve my goal.
-exam papers
-teacher's advice
-the one's who don't ask questions (when they don't know) are the ones that are truly dumb
-good sleeping periods
-preparation
-balance
-quality over quantity (understanding not amount of info which you absorb)
-try to beat your friends, whilst allegedly co-operating with them
-variation of questions in maths (very important, only started this now and it is extremely effective)
-breaks and timetable what you want to do daily
Once you've lost your motivation, find another one. Set guidelines for yourself e.g. don't finish this hw by 12pm = run 3 laps around your block or w/e
or no sleep xD

bubbrubb

HSC
Now I can't speak from personal experience... but I heard that rubbing Buddha's belly will wash away all your problems.

But if that isn't your thing... try his earlobes :rolleyes:

Stringer Bell

HSC
N/A
The words 'Out, Out, OUT' run on an infinite loop, accompanied, in my minds eye, by an image of the dark brown military hairline, waiting on his skin like the front line of a foreign army (crouched in a nervous anticipation), of the boy in the row ahead of me.

HSC
umm well i usually get really high marks, i think its cause i love what im doing and im a great essay writer :)

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
here's what happens.

it goes like this:

'i'm off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of Oz'.

'uh oh, we're not in Kansas anymore..'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)