What should I do guys (1 Viewer)

denny94

HSC
Hi guys Im new to bored of studies. I go to bonnyrigg high school and throughout my highschool life I was with the wrong crowd of people. I barely do hw and didn't pay attention in class. But now I have come to realise my wrong doings and how my future will be ruined if I keep doing this. I am really behind in school, should I get into with my teacher for help or do you guys have any tips for me to get back on track. Im not crying out for sympathy so please dont comment on that.
Thanks guys

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What subjects do you do?

How did you go in Preliminary?

denny94

HSC
english advance 66%
Physics 53%
Chemistry 52%
Biology 57%
Maths 83%
Maths ext 1 50%
those were my end of year assessment marks

RishBonjour

HSC
If you start studying now, you can improve those marks by A LOT!
its not too late
don't worry :)
my yearly prelim marks weren't too good either, but keep studying, and you will go great!
start with your worst subjects
for bio, its just memorising i guess.. ( in one day, you can finish one whole topic)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
When I get back from home I will give you some inspiration and give you tips. I am on my iPhone at the moment. But here is a quote I posted yesterday.

"It is not how you start the race. It's how you finish it."

sweetkiki

Unconscious Member
HSC
N/A
If you start studying now, you can improve those marks by A LOT!
its not too late
don't worry :)
my yearly prelim marks weren't too good either, but keep studying, and you will go great!
start with your worst subjects
for bio, its just memorising i guess.. ( in one day, you can finish one whole topic)
depends what you mean by topic, syllabus dot point? Module?
Wouldn't recommend learning a module in a day
unless you have a eidetic memory

but anyway
you have a while before school starts
so start on up/revise your work
starting with the worst ones

might want to consider getting practice books or a study buddy (with equal or greater learning capabilities/interests) to help in information retention/understanding

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
depends what you mean by topic, syllabus dot point? Module?
Wouldn't recommend learning a module in a day
unless you have a eidetic memory
i learnt the entire syllabus in a single night. wattup?

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I did the bare minimum amount of homework (i.e. enough to not get a detention) and absolutely no study in years 7-10 - Apart from coming equal first in music one year my grades were average at best. Over the summer holidays between year 10 and 11 I developed a passion for physics and realised that if I wanted to study it at uni I really needed to pull my shit together. So I did.

I started doing homework and revision and soon enough I was doing much, much better than before. After the half yearlies I was 5th in 3 unit maths, 19th in 2 unit, 4th in legal and 12th in Physics. It really didn't seem like I was doing a lot more work, but a little bit of study makes a lot of difference - especially when you're in the position I was in/you're in now. Then you gradually apply yourself more throughout the year and hopefully catch up to everyone else and go straight past them - I'm topping 3 subjects at the moment.

It's never too late to start applying yourself to school, although the earlier you do it, the better. Most importantly, there's no point changing if you're not going to enjoy it.

In regards to advice for specific subjects, this is what I've found worked for me:
Maths - Keep doing problems until you understand the concept. This was really hard at the start of year 11 (I'd paid no attention in year 10 whatsoever) because I didn't know much more than basic algebra and even then I wasn't confident in my ability. Get the basics down first (expanding/factorising, then move on to basic trig, calc etc.) and then move on to the more "advanced" topics - You're not going to be able to do locus & the parabola if you can't simplify algebraic expressions. Again WORK UNTIL YOU HAVE AN IN-DEPTH UNDERSTANDING OF THE TOPIC, whether it takes you 10 minutes or 10 days. As to how to get that understanding, I'm not sure, past papers/textbook exercises work for me but not for my friends. I'm sure Spiral can help you out there.

Physics & Chemistry - Personally I think you should be gaining an in-depth understanding of the entire course and even going further than what's required (for example, looking at the derivations of the formulas you learn rather than just accepting them as fact) but the way it's structured you could easily just rote learn the entire textbook and end up with a band 6 - I know that's what half my chem class did. (This would work for Bio as well probably; from what I understand the science courses are fairly similar although I have no experience with bio)

As for English I'm not the best source of information, but I'll try to help anyway. Memorise paragraphs rather than whole essays. By this I mean have a list of your quotes/techniques/effects and work out how you would fit them into an essay. You still go into the exam knowing what to write, but you're not screwed if the question doesn't fit what you've memorised.

tl;dr just apply yourself, you'd be surprised how easy it is once you get started.

enoilgam

HSC
Hi guys Im new to bored of studies. I go to bonnyrigg high school and throughout my highschool life I was with the wrong crowd of people. I barely do hw and didn't pay attention in class. But now I have come to realise my wrong doings and how my future will be ruined if I keep doing this. I am really behind in school, should I get into with my teacher for help or do you guys have any tips for me to get back on track. Im not crying out for sympathy so please dont comment on that.
Thanks guys
Make a specific goal (i.e. I want to study engineering at UTS and need an 85 ATAR). If you have a goal which is specific and above all reasonably achievable, then it is way easier to get motivated.

denny94

HSC
When I get back from home I will give you some inspiration and give you tips. I am on my iPhone at the moment. But here is a quote I posted yesterday.

"It is not how you start the race. It's how you finish it."
bro you look like your aiming high, I wish i had a clear direction and goals. I feel overwhelmed, but I guess I need get started nows

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
bro you look like your aiming high, I wish i had a clear direction and goals. I feel overwhelmed, but I guess I need get started nows
Not much you can do about your past. But there is a lot you can do with your future.

denny94

HSC
I did the bare minimum amount of homework (i.e. enough to not get a detention) and absolutely no study in years 7-10 - Apart from coming equal first in music one year my grades were average at best. Over the summer holidays between year 10 and 11 I developed a passion for physics and realised that if I wanted to study it at uni I really needed to pull my shit together. So I did.

I started doing homework and revision and soon enough I was doing much, much better than before. After the half yearlies I was 5th in 3 unit maths, 19th in 2 unit, 4th in legal and 12th in Physics. It really didn't seem like I was doing a lot more work, but a little bit of study makes a lot of difference - especially when you're in the position I was in/you're in now. Then you gradually apply yourself more throughout the year and hopefully catch up to everyone else and go straight past them - I'm topping 3 subjects at the moment.

It's never too late to start applying yourself to school, although the earlier you do it, the better. Most importantly, there's no point changing if you're not going to enjoy it.

In regards to advice for specific subjects, this is what I've found worked for me:
Maths - Keep doing problems until you understand the concept. This was really hard at the start of year 11 (I'd paid no attention in year 10 whatsoever) because I didn't know much more than basic algebra and even then I wasn't confident in my ability. Get the basics down first (expanding/factorising, then move on to basic trig, calc etc.) and then move on to the more "advanced" topics - You're not going to be able to do locus & the parabola if you can't simplify algebraic expressions. Again WORK UNTIL YOU HAVE AN IN-DEPTH UNDERSTANDING OF THE TOPIC, whether it takes you 10 minutes or 10 days. As to how to get that understanding, I'm not sure, past papers/textbook exercises work for me but not for my friends. I'm sure Spiral can help you out there.

Physics & Chemistry - Personally I think you should be gaining an in-depth understanding of the entire course and even going further than what's required (for example, looking at the derivations of the formulas you learn rather than just accepting them as fact) but the way it's structured you could easily just rote learn the entire textbook and end up with a band 6 - I know that's what half my chem class did. (This would work for Bio as well probably; from what I understand the science courses are fairly similar although I have no experience with bio)

As for English I'm not the best source of information, but I'll try to help anyway. Memorise paragraphs rather than whole essays. By this I mean have a list of your quotes/techniques/effects and work out how you would fit them into an essay. You still go into the exam knowing what to write, but you're not screwed if the question doesn't fit what you've memorised.

tl;dr just apply yourself, you'd be surprised how easy it is once you get started.
Hey man it looks like you came a really long way bro looking at your goals now it looks great. I mean from barely knowing maths, to knowing owning maths hahhahaa. Good on your bro, for me man term 4 for 12 hasn't been a great start for me i need to revise on all my topics and need to be more organized haha. Looking at where your at now man, you came along way bro congrats man. How did you gain an in depth understanding for physics and chemistry?? Did you use the textbooks mainly?

zeebobDD

HSC
dont worry about your prelim marks, those dont count towards anything anyway, i got like 54 or sumshit in ext1 prelim yearlies, then got 95% first term ext1 (this which will actually count) you should use the rest of your holidays to revise and practice on first terms work

SunnyScience

HSC
Chemistry & Biology - Buy the 'Dotpoint' books, or borrow/use them from/at a library. If your behind, these will do wonders at quickly touching on what you need to know exactly. However, making summaries of the dotpoints from your prescibed textbook (i'm sure your school gave you one for each?) and/or check out the resource section of BOS!

English - write your self an essay and short story 'bro'.

Maths - start working through your textbook, doing something like every second question of each chapter (reading the intros and examples)

You can do it!

A little bit or a lot each day (or vary it as you see fit) will do you good!

Credentials:
Biology 1st
Chemistry 1st
Ancient History 1st
English Adv 3rd
Eng Extn 2nd
Maths + extn top 15 :p (why is my azn class so smart? >_>)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)