What should I expect from Year 11? (1 Viewer)

Year10er

HSC
In terms of workload, assignments, exams...?

Big step up from Yr 10 or is it just over exaggerated?

Thanks.

findx

HSC
its a step but i would say yr12 is a big step

remember year 11 is crammed into 3 terms as year12 starts in term 4. Try to implement study habits/techniques and wrote how how long you can concentrate during studying before you need a break. e.g. 1 hour study 5-10 break or 2 hr study 15min break.
Year 11 is all about tasting the hsc life, its all about implementing strategies which work best for you.

Please remember that your year 10 study habits may not work for year 11.

Hope it helps! :)

ProtoStar

HSC
N/A
According to my very experienced teacher, the year 11 courses, like findx mentioned are about getting a taste of the HSC, about working out how you're going to go about studying and working for year 12. The marks apparently mean next to nothing, year 11 is about learning to learn.

megan_p

HSC
Depends on your school. It's a fairly big jump from year 10 to year 11, but the jump for year 11 to 12 is much bigger!
A lot of schools have now brought in teaching year 10 in a way that when they go to year 11 the jump isn't that big, so it depends how your school worked year 10.
Something big I noticed was the workload was much larger and ALL your assignments and exams are around the same time, I would have an assignment due one day and exam and assignment due the next then an exam the day after that.
So don't put things off til the last minute and work hard from day 1 and year 11 and 12 will be easier for you!

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
All teachers say that it is a big step, in regards to assessments, Homework and the workload of the courses that you have chosen are increased.
Especially if you have chosen any of the Extension subjects such as English or Mathematics expect a lot of work.
Also teachers say that it is important to do at least three to four hours of study a day and try to maintain a study timetable that would beneficial for the HSC.
Being prepared and organized is crucial, this means not leaving assessments and tasks to the last minute and not cramming the day before the exam as Megan_P mentioned.

:)

eDmAn1010

HSC
It is a big step in terms of what is expected of you. The senior subjects are quite content driven, so you do need to keep up with where the class in. Also, teachers are looking for any excuse to get rid of the "weak" students, so watch out!!!!

I would suggest the best way to approach senior subjects, especially sciences, is to get a hold of the syllabus and tick off the dotpoints when you're going through it. I do it for my students, and I make them responsible for making sure that we cover every single dotpoint and that they are crystal clear.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
It is definitely quite a jump from year 10 to year 11 but again thats nothing compared to the jump to year 12. but its still empirical to get your subjects sorted out by the end - if you hate something, change it. if something's too hard, drop it. concentrate on getting the basics down (which you'll need for year 12, especially in science, and prelim maths topics will be in your hsc) but don't worry too much about your marks because you do get a clean slate in year 12. But in saying that, don't flake out because especially if your doing an extension subject, the teachers would prefer you to drop it if your getting low marks. just be prepared for consistent effort in year 11 and getting your study techniques set out.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
From my experience there's not a big step up in regards to workload. The teacher's realise that you've only just started year 11 and understand you're not used to the larger workload, so they don't expect as much at the start of the year. The change is gradual, at the start of the year all I did was my maths homework, by the middle of term 3 I was regularly spending time doing revision and extra homework problems, probably 5x as much as what I did at the start of the year but it didn't feel hard because it had been a really gradual change. Nevertheless, it's still a reasonably large step if you're someone like me who did literally no work during year 10 and then decided to start doing well during your senior years.

In regards to assignments and exams, I believe most schools (mine does) use the same rules as what the BOS requires for the HSC Course, things like a zero if an assignment is late, so if you're one of those people who's regularly breaking those sorts of rules you might be in for a shock.

Year 11 is just practice for year 12. It's an opportunity to perfect your study technique and prepare yourself for the HSC course. Don't stress about it - if you're stressing now you'll burn out by term 2. Don't spend all your time studying, yes, year 11 is important, but it doesn't actually count towards anything, so go out and have fun.

thrillkiller

HSC
Make all your mistakes in year 11 because it doesn't count towards anything

ZeeZee3

HSC
I don't know if its a big step or not, but I do know that people tend to be more active in education, study more. I heard from one of my senior friends that its a year where student results tend to fluctuate eg. average student ranked in top 5, top students dropping in ranks. Its best to just experiment with study/review methods and always remember that yr 11 does not count towards your hsc so you can try as much ways to study or do a test as possible.

Pfortune35

HSC
maths espcially 3 unit math (if your doing it) is a big step up, 2unit and general not so much

angelarr

HSC
I don't know how you approached the school certificate (lol school cert) but for most of our grade, we didn't really. I remember after school cert and year 10 we were all in the bludge-y mood. Come year 11 and a lot of people found it hard adjusting to the increased workload and different subjects. This has been mentioned a few times but you'll see a significant difference between the workload of junior maths and 3U prelim maths. You'll have to get used to doing homework daily to keep up with things.
But with that said, don't freak out too much. Use year 11 to really experiment with study techniques, figuring out what works best for you. Some people swear by study timetables while others are less disciplined but equally effective in studying, so it all depends on you really. In terms of the number of hours of study, I don't really remember doing solid hours of study after school, you'll find that homework generally takes up most of the time, and when you have hand-in tasks, you'll find that you don't really have "study" time, as funny as that sounds. Just keep on top of your work and you should be fine (for e.g i wrote notes every weekend rather than writing them up at the end of the term)
Basically, use year 11 as the experimental year, nothing counts towards your ATAR so don't get too worked up or stressed over anything yet. Most importantly, don't burn out. I worked pretty hard in year 11, and I found myself mentally exhausted when year 12 started, and even half way through term 2. So, just take it easy, and you'll be fine!

hayabusaboston

HSC
All teachers say that it is a big step, in regards to assessments, Homework and the workload of the courses that you have chosen are increased.
Especially if you have chosen any of the Extension subjects such as English or Mathematics expect a lot of work.
Also teachers say that it is important to do at least three to four hours of study a day and try to maintain a study timetable that would beneficial for the HSC.
Being prepared and organized is crucial, this means not leaving assessments and tasks to the last minute and not cramming the day before the exam as Megan_P mentioned.

:)
my cousin crammed for every assessment through high school (In sweden), including final exams, he ended up with a perfect 4.0 GPA and got into Karolinska Institutet.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Also, expect girls and guys to be much more into each other for year 11. Could be a good thing for some people, it might motivate them in study, but could be a bad thing, might distract. But in general, there's more gender intimacy.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
^ WTF's that got to do with the school workload? And "gender intimacy" occurs earlier too... it can be a distraction, but it is manageable..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)