• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What to do in those first 10 minutes reading time. (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I usually just flick through the paper quickly, and then focus on preparing my essay with the question in my head. After I have a sound understanding I then go to read around 2-3 unseen text.

What do you do?

interesting

HSC
N/A
I usually just flick through the paper quickly, and then focus on preparing my essay with the question in my head. After I have a sound understanding I then go to read around 2-3 unseen text.

What do you do?
do them in your head =]

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Read section two and three and have the questions/stimuli in my head. Then I go back and read section one unseen texts and usually finish them just as time is up.

yours

HSC
Last time I spent too long looking at the creative question because it was very specific. In retrospect I should've read the unseen texts and answered the questions for them in my head first. That would've saved loads of time, because I ended up having to read them after I'd written the essay and creative and that ate into their 40 minutes. Though I guess you're supposed to balance it all and have ideas 'forming' about the essay and creative while you're doing the unseen, but in reality I do it backwards.

HSC
i bring a very small pen and i usually start my essay without the teachers watching so i can get a head start

taeyang

HSC
I take the cap off my lid of my tag-less water-bottle in which contains a piece of paper stuck to the roof with the start of each of my worst paragraphs. :D

jamesfirst

HSC
I bring jelly beans with cheat notes on it and when I read them, I eat it to remove the evidence.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
Read all unseen texts and all the questions associated, and when spare time left see how i can mould my essay and creative to the question/stimulus given.

gl =]

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You do realise you get to read through the entire paper beforehand, right?

They give you your exam paper and they go through it page by page to ensure you're not missing a page. THAT'S when you start planning - NOT during reading time.

jamesfirst

HSC

They give you your exam paper and they go through it page by page to ensure you're not missing a page. THAT'S when you start planning - NOT during reading time.
Nice.

herbs1

HSC

yeah this...when people from my school go through a paper, they sometimes stop on a page and you can clearly see they are planning etc. It's kind of dog, but i support it, given the exam is only 2 hours.

2011_

HSC
Definitely glance at the question when checking through the paper - why wouldn't you? Then you can decide what to look at first in reading time (eg. challenging questions or those that may require extra planning time?). That is my strategy anyway.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

Wouldn't you get caught if you're unlucky. Because they might see you stuck on 1 page.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Wouldn't you get caught if you're unlucky. Because they might see you stuck on 1 page.
Doubt it. It's like, probably the lowest end of the scale of cheating, seeing a question, perhaps 5 seconds before everyone else does. Yeah, could be classified as 'cheating', but you know, it's hardly the worst.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, obviously you don't stay on one page when they're checking the paper. You go through the entire paper at the pace of the supervisor. Like for English Modules, the pace they set (because they go through every related text, iirc) is enough for you to read the question. For Belonging, don't even bother reading the stimuli in section 1, just look at the questions.

The pace the supervisor goes through will be enough such that you can skim through the paper with a good idea of what the question is.

thesinophile

HSC
N/A
i bring a very small pen and i usually start my essay without the teachers watching so i can get a head start
I take the cap off my lid of my tag-less water-bottle in which contains a piece of paper stuck to the roof with the start of each of my worst paragraphs. :D
I bring jelly beans with cheat notes on it and when I read them, I eat it to remove the evidence.
OMG I can't stop fucking laughing

2011_

HSC
People, one day, you will be caught for cheating.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)