White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Harry Potter Series -- JK Rowling
Lord of the Rings -- JRR Tolkein
The Hobbit -- JRR Tolkein
Angela's Ashes -- Frank McCourt
1984 -- George Orwell
Animal Farm -- George Orwell (I read that book when I was 10, and loved it, before I even knew what communisim was.. LOL)
Brave New World -- Aldous Huxley (I was suppose to read that last year for English. I didn't. I read it about 6 months ago and loved it. Glad I waited, because I would have hated it if I had to really study it, and not just read study guides..)
All Quiet on the Western Front - Remarque
My Brother Jack -- George Johnstone
Fluke -- James Herbert
Watership Down -- Richard Adams
A Short History of Australia -- Manning Clark. (his history is generally better in terms of research and bias than a few other australian historians. And you need to read some kind of history on Australia)

gem_max

HSC
hey just out of interest what are utopia and davinci code about? Ive heard a bit about them and am about to finish a book so might as well have a few good reads lined up myself.

miss_salty

HSC
N/A
gem_max said:
hey just out of interest what are utopia and davinci code about? Ive heard a bit about them and am about to finish a book so might as well have a few good reads lined up myself.
Utopia's pretty dull but i guess it raises those political, social and philosophical (?) questions. you've probably heard/seen parrallels to this world elsewhere and it's often compared to 1984 and Brave New World etc. haven't read Da Vinci but should be an easy read.

other books
- Lolita (here's ur perverted book)
- Anna Karenina (if u want a long enjoyable read)
- As I Lay Dying (loved this book)
- Crying of Lot 49 (a very tough read but not coz its boring - it just postmodern)
- To Kill A Mockingbird
- Ulysses
- The Eyre Affair

there's books everywhere. impossible to list all

gem_max

HSC
miss_salty said:
- To Kill A Mockingbird
ah yes definately this one! Man I wish I owned a copy of it. We read it in english and it was one of the first school books I ever liked or found any intelligence in.

mittens

HSC
i nearly forgot! sophie's world is a must-read! man! and the solitare game by the same author... they're such trippy books! for a really philosophical mystery kind of book! and honestly when reading them you have to keep the most open mind... if you close yourself off to any way of thinking like if u believe in evolution and u get to the part where they talk about semitism etc. then you're not going to get the full grasp of the book! its incredible and a must read for those that want to battle to keep an open mind... and there's a sub plot that just blows you away... try to work it out! with the major... and all the supernatural occurances and the storybook characters... you wont b sorry! my gosh i really do sound like im trying to sell it! lol

also i loved to kill a mocking bird... but honestly... brave new world...? im sorry but i cannot endorse that! this guy was taking LSD when he wrote that and some other drug who's name i've forgotten... but this guy... no! horrible! if i didnt have to read it and return it, i would have burnt it. well thats my take anyway.

HSC
best book ive ever read was called "shantaram", and was written by a guy called Gregory David Roberts.
Its an account of his life, and he's been through everything - he broke out of a melbourne jail, then went to India and then..... well, if u read it you'll find out. :)

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
If you liked the Da Vinci Code then you'll also like The Rule of Four by Caldwell & Thomason, maybe even more so.

sharks05

HSC
Just finished HSC and went to splurge at bookshop today :) Yeah, I'm considered to be an integral member of literary 'nerdom'.... there was so much to choose from... But I hav the latest Reilly for starters...

walrusbear

HSC
i highly recommend a book called 'atomised' by michel houellebecq

it's quite depressing but a very thought provoking look at the direction of western society

Jase

HSC
argh.. there are just so many books to read, one lifetime is not enough. I need to become immortal in order to take in all the minds of the world.

Anyway.. i still havn't gotten round to reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being.. has anyone read it? Is it really worth the money?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Dune. 2001. Hitchhiker's Guide. Matthew Reilly's books. Robert J. Sawyer's books. Moby Dick. Paradise Lost (granted, a poem, but still great). Crime and Punishment. An Imaginary Life. Ender's Game.

Soo many..

walrusbear

HSC
this is going to be controversial
but you could die without reading a matthew reilly book if you wanted

it's be a bit like reading the screenplay to a Steven Seagal movie in prose form

~*~Karina~*~

sharks05 said:
Just finished HSC and went to splurge at bookshop today :) Yeah, I'm considered to be an integral member of literary 'nerdom'.... there was so much to choose from... But I hav the latest Reilly for starters...
Yep, I did the same thing today...I'd seriously run out of stuff to read, found a cheap second hand bookstore and stocked up!

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
~*~Karina~*~ said:
Yep, I did the same thing today...I'd seriously run out of stuff to read, found a cheap second hand bookstore and stocked up!
Oh? Where?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
~*~Karina~*~ said:
Umm...a little shop in Manuka arcade (in canberra)...
Damn. So very far away.

There is a distinct lack of second-hand bookstores around where I live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)