What TO Read (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
Any suggestion on what books must are a MUST To Read. Can be of any genre, encompass any philosophical views( even perverted ones). It could be your favourite book or author, be feminist and spread propaganda.

Thanks for any suggestions

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
i have read that, its great
also try 'deception point' and 'angels and demons' by dan brown too
other good books
hmmmmm

airframe and timeline by crichton

herberts dune was good too

patrick susskind's perfume also

walrusbear

HSC
i think 1984 must be read
i guess the genre is literary...

it seems so god damn pertinent right now

mittens

HSC
joujou_84 said:
ive been told that aparently "Da Vinci's code" is really good
ohh yeah! the da vinci code is apparently such an enthralling read with suspense that freaks you right out! and someone who read it told me that they were reading a really intense bit and reading what was on the next page seriously made them jump.
either way...

storm constantine is an awesome author! she has such a great style, her books in the Chronicles of Magravandias series are incredible... it's fantasy, honestly if i were to go into all the details of why you should read this series we'd be here 4 ages but basically it's fantasy with a twist of sex, politics and power play mixed in with each individual character's personal journey that leaves the reader contemplating their own purpose! i highly reccomend them.

also, Frank Peretti, writes supernatural thrillers... his book visitation chilled me to the bone, he's also written 'the present darkness, piercing the darkness and the oath, and im sure many others! i've heard stories about the oath and am dying to read it!

then there's matthew reilleyi really enjoyed his books: ice station, contest, temple area 7 wasnt as good as those other three, and scarecrow was a little tedious! but over-all a good read!

r.a. salvatore is a funny author of satire fantasy novels if you can get yur hands on any of his works, i've been searching for passage to dawn for a good couple of years but it's never in stock. so i've settled for a book in the series of 'a thousand orcs' very funny! -very dry wit.

John marsen, author of the tomorrow when the war began series is awesome...

= Jennifer =

HSC
i just started reading da vinci code and it is so engrosing unfortunately it might start to tear me away from my studies must hide and read after exams

J

jhakka

The Farseer Trilogy
The Liveship Traders
The Tawny Man

^Three must read trilogies by Robin Hobb.

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
the name of the rose and foucalt's pendulum by umberto eco.

two books you can get your teeth into, especially if you like the da vinci code.

Last edited:

grendel

day dreamer
HSC
N/A
mittens said:
yes i've heard of umberto eco... what genre are those books? what are they about?
its hard to describe eco. eco himself is a professor of semiotics (symbolism), kind of like the protagonist in the davinci code and angels and demons. but where as dan brown is clever and entertaining, eco is clever, scholarly and entertaining.

eco's novels are similar in theme to brown's, just with a higher IQ.

the name of the rose (which was made into a movie starring sean connery), one of my absolute favourite books, is a whodunnit set in a 16th century italian monastery with the holy inquisition and a famous religious debate (the name of which escapes me at the moment) as subplots. eco's attention to historical detail is amazing and you are totally transported into this medieval world.

foucalt's pendulum is mainly concerned with symbolism and secret societies (templars, illuminati and rosicrucians). similar sort of plot to the davinci code but a more satisfying read.

his books are a much more demanding read (more so foucalt's pendulum than the name of the rose) but the rewards are amazing.

he has two other novels, the island of the day before and baudolino.

start off with the name of the rose (just don't watch the movie first!). it's his most accessible novel.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
hey they are gr8 suggestions thx ppl. ill need to busy myself with reading since i havent had time to read in ages and i have nothing to do for the next 4 months. :)

mittens

HSC
joujou_84 said:
hey they are gr8 suggestions thx ppl. ill need to busy myself with reading since i havent had time to read in ages and i have nothing to do for the next 4 months. :)
ohh i second that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and thanx grendel! i'll look into it! sounds awesome!

gem_max

HSC
walrusbear said:
i think 1984 must be read
i guess the genre is literary...
I agree. I absolutely hated this book and threw it across the room when I finished it yet its essential in this evolving society to be familiar with the themes of this book. Hmm what else... Definately Memoirs of a Geisha, Feeling Sorry For Celia, the Tomorrow series and Sophie's World. Haha ok that should conquer some boredom.

~*~Karina~*~

1984 definately...best book ever. Its scarily pertinent at the moment, and Catch 22 is a must read too. Its hilarious.
Umm...what else... Lord of the Rings is kinda necessary, plus its awesome, and don't forget Harry Potter!

Jase

HSC
Hitchhikers Guide is a must read for all readers ever, just to get a taste of that style of humour.

When the Lion Feeds - Wilbur Smith
for any Indiana-Jones/African adventure-esque fans.

As part of a childhood type thing, how about Redwall? You haven't had a perfect childhood until you've read at least one Redwall.

and then all the social satires like everyone's said i.e. 1984, Brave new world, Catch 22, Farenheit 451, Utopia,

and the literary giants of speculative and classical fiction - LOTR, The Hobbit, Space Odyssey, Hamlet, The Magus, stuff by Dickens...

and the new-age acclaimed titles - Life of Pi, Fight Club... err that's all that comes to mind right now

Oh and I honestely don't think Dan Brown is really that great.. sure it's really entertaining and a must read, but it really isn't masterful enough. There's just so much hype around his books ever since the Code skyrocketed the sales in Dymocks.

Last edited:
G

Gavvvvvin

Yeah I just started reading Davincis Code because everyone else was saying it was good, and I must say, it is turning out to be by far the best book Ive ever read.

Gooba

HSC
A Simple Plan by Scott Smith is a must read. Along with the entire Matthew Reilly Collection.

astro

HSC
Portrait of a Lady by Henry James

The Omen by David Seltzer (sp?) is freaky but has it's good points

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)