What TO Read (1 Viewer)

Abraxus

HSC
Aznpsycho said:
Also, I've heard extremely bad things about Dan Brown's books. What I've read appears to be written in rather boring prose. Could someone elaborate on why they're so popular?
apparently in his books he has a tendency to give an impression that what he's writing about is true. eg the "real truth" behind jesus and christianity that he talks about in da vinci code. i'm a catholic and although you'd think these implications would offend us, to some extent it did but i didn't let it get in the way of a great novel, plot-wise. thats why it caused so much controversy. i disagree tho, i just see his books as FICTIONAL crime/mystery novels with intricate plotlines and twists, i reckon dan brown's awesome.

also, are there any other good crime/mystery novelists out there? other than the famous ones like james patterson, agatha christie, dan brown etc .. i just recently got into crime.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
"The relevant equation is Knowledge = power = energy = matter = mass; A good bookshop is just a genteel black hole that knows how to read"

"They (the dragons) put you in mind of a can of sardines, if you thought that sardines were huge and scaly and proud and arrogant. And presumably, somewhere, there's a key."

"This is space. It's sometimes called the final frontier. Except of course that you can't have a final frontier, because there'd be nothing for it to be a frontier to, but as frontiers go, it's pretty penultimate..."

"It has been estimated that there are only about 500 real people on any given planet, which is why they keep unexpectedly running into one another all the time"

"Inside, an old man had just died.
'Oh', he said.
He opened his eyes and looked around the interior of his hut."

You've gotta love Pratchett. It's so...ridiculous!!

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
"The days followed one another patiently. Right back at the beginning of the multiverse they had tried all passing at the same time, and it hadn't worked."

"The vermine is a small black and white furry creature, much famed for its pelt. It is a more careful relative of the lemming; it only throws itself over small pebbles."

"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind!!!"

"Did I hear things, or can that little dog speak?" said Dibbler.
"He says he can't," said Victor. Dibbler hesitated.
"Well," he said, "I suppose he should know."

"It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going round to atheists' houses and smashing their windows."

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Lol, must do one some planets.
Not on mine though.

Hmmm good idea maybe...

"Ankh-Morpork! Pearl of cities! This is not a completely accurate description, of course — it was not round and shiny — but even its worst enemies would agree that if you had to liken Ankh-Morpork to anything, then it might as well be a piece of rubbish covered with the diseased secretions of a dying mollusc."

Last edited:
HSC
Albert K. Holic said:
best book ive ever read was called "shantaram", and was written by a guy called Gregory David Roberts.
Its an account of his life, and he's been through everything - he broke out of a melbourne jail, then went to India and then..... well, if u read it you'll find out. :)
OhhH! i read a couple pages of that book. I had to return it to the library so i couldn't finish it.

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
Adding some from my last post...

*The Potato Factory Trilogy (Toom and Hawk and Solomon's Song) - Bryce Courtney. It's just the epic Australian drama
*Looking for Alibrandi

Trajan

HSC
If you're into splatter-punk or even if you're not; read anything by Richard Laymon.

May I suggest " Funhouse" .

Also anything by Stephen laws.

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
Anything from Charles Dickens. Bryce Courtenay's Power of One.

lisajf

C'est la vie
HSC
its probably been said before but i have to say that everyone should read the harry potter books. They are fantastic and i miss them!!! lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)