What to say when people ask what your atar was? (1 Viewer)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I don't mind telling my family, because they are family and they are really proud of me.

I am not embarrassed about my atar, but I just don't feel the need to tell people what it is, because I am worried about judgements.

Next year I am going back to school again for an awards thing for people who did well in their HSC marks/ATAR, and i mean I know there are people who got higher than me, but I just have a feeling people I am friends with from years below me will be asking ''Oh what did you get?'' And all that, and I don't really want to tell them because they will think of me as a certain number and I don't know what their standards are, so maybe they may think my ATAR is really good, or maybe it is okay, I don't know :S

What should I say to be nice? (Of course it also depends who is asking me, because i know some people just want to know because they are nosy)

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
"enough to get into [uni course]"

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
1. Enough to get into *insert your uni course*

2. Ninety nine point none-of-your-business.

(but really, what asdass said is the ideal one)

RishBonjour

HSC
"enough to get into [uni course]"
this.

Also, as long as you don't lie about your ATAR (hate people who do that) you should say it with a smile :)

A few days ago a kid in year 6 (family friend) asked me what atar I got. After I told him he had this expression on his face "lol.. 98.85, what a failure".

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Thanks guys! I like the uni answer :) And do people actually make up their ATAR? :S

Also, maybe I might use the ninety nine point none of your business for people I don't like LOL

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thanks guys! I like the uni answer :) And do people actually make up their ATAR? :S

Also, maybe I might use the ninety nine point none of your business for people I don't like LOL
Once you get into uni, no one even asks you. Those who do don't need a response.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Once you get into uni, no one even asks you. Those who do don't need a response.
My first day back, 1st years everywhere greeting each other etc.

Heard quite a few "How did you go in the HSC?".

Quietly laughed inside.

jnney

lemon
HSC
Be proud of your ATAR.

Let dem h8rs judge :p

But seriously, don't worry about what other people think. Their opinions don't matter, and they don't matter. So yeah ! :)

Cheesecake_a

HSC
Are you proud of your ATAR?
Hmm well I guess if I was more proud, i wouldn't make this thread lol and be more confident in answering people. I mean i was a bit under my goal, but I am above the cut off so that's good I guess (as long as it doesn't dramatically change lol)

Are you sure? And I guess people would just start judging by degrees then lol
Be proud of your ATAR.

But seriously, don't worry about what other people think. Their opinions don't matter, and they don't matter. So yeah ! :)
But I don't want them to judge! Okay look, basically the only clue I will give is I got high 80's. And I mean I think people are more ''Ohh wooow'' when you get 90 plus, and I don't want to be unimpressive lol

My first day back, 1st years everywhere greeting each other etc.

Heard quite a few "How did you go in the HSC?".

Quietly laughed inside.
Great -_-

funstudy

HSC
Good enough, then ask then about their ATAR to divert attention

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
You shouldn't care about how people judge your ATAR, if they honestly use it to judge you as a person they aren't worth associating with anyway

enoilgam

HSC
Be proud of your ATAR.

You shouldn't care about how people judge your ATAR, if they honestly use it to judge you as a person they aren't worth associating with anyway
These two pretty much. The only standard you should care about is your own.

forgot

HSC
Uni Grad
so true
And there will always be those people who try to make you feel disappointed with your atar, but who cares what they think.
just like the comments above, once you get into uni/course your atar is almost forgotten about

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Are you sure? And I guess people would just start judging by degrees then lol

And people who do that are douches. If you're making assumptions about people based on marks or degree, you're not worth the time of day.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
And people who do that are douches. If you're making assumptions about people based on marks or degree, you're not worth the time of day.
Wait are you referring to me? Because I don't do that. I was talking about people may start doing that once you get into Uni, like if someone asks what degree you do, there are probably certain stereotypes behind a degree, the whole elitism with degrees, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)