What topic did everyone do for their major Project? (1 Viewer)

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
Heya all!

i wrote my project on Saladin and on the way history has been written about him on the role he played on the unification of the Arab forces against the invaders

i was wondering what the rest of you have done?

Jezapbo

HSC
Mine was on the Punic Wars, siilarities between it and the recent war on Iraq, and the economic motivations as possible causes to both wars (fertile lands and the oil theory)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
mine was:
The subjective nature of history and historical documents means the responsibility for the creation of both the heroes ands villains of history to fall more on the historian than on the individual of whom they write.

Explore this concept with regard to Ned Kelly, his motives and portrayal.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Critically Analyse the concept 'herstory' and the differing approaches of Virginia Rounding and Katie Hickman on courtesans in the 19th century.

I basically treated it like an english task :D

The Nick

McBain
HSC
Most people think Russia was solely to blame for the Cuban Missile Crisis. These people are idiots. Assess the reasons why there are so many idiots around.

waterfowl

HSC
My project (which I haven't finished yet, and must do soon!) is on Friedrich IV - he was the emperor of the Austro-Hungarian Empire (The Habsburg family).
It just looks at if he was a good leader or not, because some historians think he was a useless person who just advanced through the untimely deaths of others; but others think he was a great, philosophical leader who brought about the greatness of the house of Habsburg.

I chose it because I wanted to know more about Austrian history - and he seemed interesting!

classics_chic

HSC
I did my assignment (I'm class of 2003) on the views of Greek culture as used by various societies. I got the idea from Martin Bernal's Black Athena. He argues that the Greeks were Egyptian, and that the Egyptians were black- it's ethnocentric history: it's refuted by Mary Lefkowitz who says (rightly as far as I can see) that there's little solid evidence to support Bernal's work.

It was a great assignment to do, and heaps of fun. Steal my idea class of 2005, if you want to! (But I didn't tell you that).

I just hope that my history teacher doesn't visit this site, because now he'll know who I am!

hanjoc

i did mine on how historians view US Intervention in the Vietnam War differently, pretty much looking at people who supported them, people who said that the US were right at the time and also those that said US was totally imorral for intervening in a war that they didnt have to. it was a pretty interesting topic but i'd allow more than 2 weeks to get everything together :worried:

trekkie

HSC
I looked at different historians opinions on William Bligh and whether they thought that he was responsible for the mutiny on Bounty, i was attempting to ascertain whether or not histories judgement of Bligh as a tyrant was fair, or whether hes been unfairly treated by historians, and in my opinion he wasnt the bastard most people thought that he was!

~V~

Gold Member?
HSC
N/A
I looked at the concept of 'nazi gold' and the role of the swiss in laundering SHIT LOADS of money, artworks, etc. even tho they were 'neutral'. But really they held an immense fear of Germany and assisted them in the hope they would not be attacked... Germany planned to attack them anyway but didn't because of their extreme climate (alps). The vatican also laundered a lot of money as the feared a 'final soloution' against catholics... it was interesting... even tho i fell asleep 4 times while i was working on it lololol

Zhang San Feng

护花使者
HSC
The Nick said:
Most people think Russia was solely to blame for the Cuban Missile Crisis. These people are idiots. Assess the reasons why there are so many idiots around.
nice one badger...
i see jez is here too

i did mine on the ethnicity of kublai khan

Scotty Mate

The Battle of Lepanto in relation to its outcome and perceived impact on 16th Century society, and similarities to modern 'religious warfare'. Also covered the idea of Eastern cultures versus Western cultures and their interaction with each other.

N.B. - that Saladin topic would have been interesting, especially in relation to my own major work. There is something intriguing about when different cultures clash, whether its Alexander invading the Near East, Genghis Khan invading Europe/Asia or any of the Crusades. :)

Last edited:

babeishnes

I did the disappearance of the crew of the Mary Celeste, it was really hard to get accurate info but i got there in the end

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Varying interpretations as to why the Hungarian revolution in 1956 occurred encompassing dissident views, "official" (read: fabricated) Hungarian/Soviet historiography until 1989, real Hungarian historiography 1989+ and western/dissident historiography as affected by the release of Western and Eastern historical documents after 1956. I really wanted to do it for the whole thing, but, with a 2,500 word limit I had to really narrow down what I was doing. Still got a good mark though!

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
Scotty Mate said:
The Battle of Lepanto in relation to its outcome and perceived impact on 16th Century society, and similarities to modern 'religious warfare'. Also covered the idea of Eastern cultures versus Western cultures and their interaction with each other.

N.B. - that Saladin topic would have been interesting, especially in relation to my own major work. There is something intriguing about when different cultures clash, whether its Alexander invading the Near East, Genghis Khan invading Europe/Asia or any of the Crusades. :)
indeed i agree with you. while i hated doing my extention assignment - only because i had to do it - i can be soo lazy sometimes
anyway now that i look back on it it was actually something that i enjoyed
you dont really get to look at much medieval history - it seems
that the BOS doesnt like it that much
BUT IT IS SOO INTERESTING!!!

alimo

launcher169 said:
you dont really get to look at much medieval history - it seems
that the BOS doesnt like it that much
BUT IT IS SOO INTERESTING!!!
My younger sister, in yr 8, did medieval history as one of those 'filler' courses you do in history before you start 'Civics & citizenship' the next year. Our case study is the crusades, a BOS approved course, but because its a study of how history was written and made its not terribly interesting anymmore :( DAMN YOU Board Of Studies!

anyways, my topic question was 'Rubbish, Illiterate and Tuneless: What role does history play in the establishment of the image of early rock music in Australia, 1955-1963?' it was really good fun, because I got to listen to old music and read old, old rolling stone essays :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)