what TYPE of school do u go to? (1 Viewer)

what TYPE of school do you go to??

• Total voters

brows

HSC
Re: Public School vs. Private

oblivious. said:
Private schools have better/more facilities, more opportunities for students and the teachers have more personal interest in how the students are progressing both educationally and in there personal lives.
Private schools also get longer holidays aswell as having more camps and excursions.
:)
I disagree with the excursions. That depends on what subjects you choose. I have only had 1 excursion in the past 4 years and i go to a private school (Year 12 this year).

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

aloysballa said:
private schools are def better especially cas and gps schools.
the only public schools that do better are selective schools.
kids in private schools are more likely to work harder and u get less drop kicks who just want to stuff around.
also the co-curricular on offer at private schools and the organisation of it craps all over that at most public schools.
Have you see how Killara and Cheerybrook go in the HSC?? And CAS schools??? The only good two is probably Knox or St. Aloysius

Dave2007

HSC

Forget public schools.

Forget private schools.

Forget selective public schools.

SELECTIVE PRIVATE FTW!!! :wave:

Either way this thread is full of so many ridiculous generalisations, because PEOPLE CANNOT HAVE GONE TO EVERY SCHOOL!!! People are inherently biased. I think my school (Selective private - Grammar) rocks. We have great facilities, great teachers, we are NOT spoonfed even though we are always the top performing private school (6th in state), we're in the GPS, heaps of extracurricular activities, besdies performing arts schools probably the best at music etc... But I'm biased ive gone there for years!

But then again other people have raised valid points. For example, most people at privates are rich and we don't get to mix with as diverse a group of people during school hours. There is also a tendency for parents to "guilt trip" their kids into studying hard because "We're not paying $20K a year for you to be a fuck-up".

How good the teachers are is also a big issue in this thread; but how can you know!? There's absolutely no independent way to validate this. People have argued that more private teachers have PhDs and get more money, thus meaning they are likely to put more effort in - but then people said that doesnt mean squat, its all about individual motivations. How can we know? Unless we have someone who went to sort of 5 or 6 schools growing up in an objective frame of mind then was a career teacher at several schools, maybe theyd be justified to comprehensively reply. But the people here, most of whom who have been at either a private or selective public since year 7 cant really qualify.

But then again its all about opinions...Personally id say at the bottom of the heap are your public schools in, say, new suburbs which are less economically well-off and have more new teachers. Then your no name private schools which cant get academics or extra curricular right. Then your good comprehensive public schools. Then your big-name private schools. Then selective public. Then selective private (although how many of these schools are there?)

Queen Anna

University Gal
HSC

dion7789 said:
Public school are definately better...we dont have the snobby students or teachers for that matter and the teachers we do have actually give a damn about the students unlike private schools where they are interested in their pay packets.

I think u get a much better education at public schools because the teachers do care and set up extra lessons and do a lot of extra work when they really dont need to. Public schools all the way
here here!!! rock on public skools!!!!!
I personally have never been to a private skool but what i fail to undertsand is why parents would pay for their kids to get into a private skool when a public skool which is equal if not better in regards to teaching , results etc is almost a quarter of the price. Its almost like a staus thing. their like yeah my kid goes to "where ever" and people listeneing to them brag are like "oooh really..how fancy!"
ok so private skools may have better facilities but thats coz they pay like $2000 dollars each year. To learn u dont necessarliy need state or the art facilites just great teachers and willing students - thats what makes a skool great. I look at my own skool and we beat every private skool in hsc results in our local area almost every year. Our teachers are willing to give up lunch times and their own free periods to give us personal help no matter what year your in or how well ur going in a course.
agreed that most good teachers go to private skools because of better wages but id say most of the teachers in my skool and all the ones ive come across are the best in our area. I had a friend who went to my skool then got a scholarship to a private skool and within a year she was back at my school. The whole time she was in a private skool she saying she couldnt wait to come bak coz the teachers are good and the kids are snobby.
but there is always going to be this debate about private VS public skools and no one is eva going to come to an answer coz everyone is so bias towards thier own skool. i mean lets face it. if ur private ull say private is better if ur public ull say publixc is better no matter how u try to justify. Unless of course u go to skool in a bin then in that case...

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A

Home schooling ftw.

ice ken

HSC

Queen Anna said:
here here!!! rock on public skools!!!!!
I personally have never been to a private skool but what i fail to undertsand is why parents would pay for their kids to get into a private skool when a public skool which is equal if not better in regards to teaching , results etc is almost a quarter of the price. Its almost like a staus thing. their like yeah my kid goes to "where ever" and people listeneing to them brag are like "oooh really..how fancy!"
ok so private skools may have better facilities but thats coz they pay like $2000 dollars each year. To learn u dont necessarliy need state or the art facilites just great teachers and willing students - thats what makes a skool great. I look at my own skool and we beat every private skool in hsc results in our local area almost every year. Our teachers are willing to give up lunch times and their own free periods to give us personal help no matter what year your in or how well ur going in a course.
agreed that most good teachers go to private skools because of better wages but id say most of the teachers in my skool and all the ones ive come across are the best in our area. I had a friend who went to my skool then got a scholarship to a private skool and within a year she was back at my school. The whole time she was in a private skool she saying she couldnt wait to come bak coz the teachers are good and the kids are snobby.
but there is always going to be this debate about private VS public skools and no one is eva going to come to an answer coz everyone is so bias towards thier own skool. i mean lets face it. if ur private ull say private is better if ur public ull say publixc is better no matter how u try to justify. Unless of course u go to skool in a bin then in that case...
o sooo true i regret my parents sending me to a private school from years 8-11 omfg it was sooooo shit!!! teachers were omggg maths teachers for 1 and 2 didnt even understand maths kept looking at soln book and it was onli yr 11 and physics even shittterrrrr. i purposley did stuff wrong in an assignment and he still gave me full markssss. thank god i changed schools. and co ed is a very nice environment. public iss totally awesome and u can spend the money somewhere else. my school costed me like nearly 60k for the four years i went there. then i changed schools to public and teachers were like sooo much friendlier and were soooo easy to understand. PUBLIC IS BETTER and our school was sooo gay literally the guys were gay

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC

ice ken said:
o sooo true i regret my parents sending me to a private school from years 8-11 omfg it was sooooo shit!!! teachers were omggg maths teachers for 1 and 2 didnt even understand maths kept looking at soln book and it was onli yr 11 and physics even shittterrrrr. i purposley did stuff wrong in an assignment and he still gave me full markssss. thank god i changed schools. and co ed is a very nice environment. public iss totally awesome and u can spend the money somewhere else. my school costed me like nearly 60k for the four years i went there. then i changed schools to public and teachers were like sooo much friendlier and were soooo easy to understand. PUBLIC IS BETTER and our school was sooo gay literally the guys were gay
You know, I'm tempted to think that perhaps the problems you list are to do with that particular school, and that your experience can't be considered representative of the private education sector as a whole.

And 'our school was sooo gay literally the guys were gay'? Not only is that not actually any sort of criticism of anything, it's also nothing to do with private education.

jessal

HSC

spangacrab said:
Some of us don't have to privledge to go to Private school. When I have kids they will all go to public schools for they are equal to private schools IMHO. It just matters how much effort you put in, the teachers in both are the same quality, students in public schools are more down to earth/poor where as Private school students are better of financially but pay 40k for the same education I get which I pay zilch.
how can you say that the education provided at a public school is equal to that of a private when you first stated that going to a private school is a privilege?
and also, what makes you think that students in public school are more down to earth than those who attend private schools?

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC

Dave2007 said:
But then again its all about opinions...Personally id say at the bottom of the heap are your public schools in, say, new suburbs which are less economically well-off and have more new teachers. Then your no name private schools which cant get academics or extra curricular right. Then your good comprehensive public schools. Then your big-name private schools. Then selective public. Then selective private (although how many of these schools are there?)
You were making an ok point until you yourself put sweeping generalisations in.

Dave2007

HSC

I was consciously aware of the irony of saying that its impossible and unfair to generalise, and then going ahead to conduct an unfair and possibly incorrect generalisation based on my own experience.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A

If and when i have a child i'd seriously send them to a local co-ed comprehensive school. Many selectives at least the top ones place too much emphasis on academics and competition. Many private schools are single-sex and that can weaken the kid's relationships with the other gender particularly if they are naturally shy.

Comprehensive schools have a more laid back environment and in my view focuses on developing the child's maturity rather than simply academics or co-curricular.

And one of the top co-ed comprehensive schools is killara. So killahara high ftmfw. Their uniform is almost sexactly the same as ruse too :eek:

honourable mentions also to st ives and ryde secondary college (no cherrybrook, it's sh*t /generalisation)

HSC

Yes you get what you put in, so as long as you do your best you're fine. But most of times at private schools teachers are better than public.

van.tango

HSC

Exactly, so long as you do your best you'll do well no matter where you are. I just think that if a child doesn't want to learn or is too distracted to learn, it doesn't matter whether you send them to a public school or a private school.

HSC

Bobness said:
If and when i have a child i'd seriously send them to a local co-ed comprehensive school. Many selectives at least the top ones place too much emphasis on academics and competition. Many private schools are single-sex and that can weaken the kid's relationships with the other gender particularly if they are naturally shy.

Comprehensive schools have a more laid back environment and in my view focuses on developing the child's maturity rather than simply academics or co-curricular.

And one of the top co-ed comprehensive schools is killara. So killahara high ftmfw. Their uniform is almost sexactly the same as ruse too :eek:

honourable mentions also to st ives and ryde secondary college (no cherrybrook, it's sh*t /generalisation)
What's a local co-ed comprehensive school? Is that just your "normal" local school?

JamesTockuss

HSC

I'll start by saying i HATE people like Ja'mie King from We can be heroes who are utterly convinced that Private School education is way above Public Education. It's a joke. The majority of people who go to Private schools are dumb shits who are planning to rely on their parents and their money in the future.

Both types of education are just as good as eachother - there is NO real difference.

WannaBang?

HSC

JamesTockuss said:
I'll start by saying i HATE people like Ja'mie King from We can be heroes who are utterly convinced that Private School education is way above Public Education. It's a joke. The majority of people who go to Private schools are dumb shits who are planning to rely on their parents and their money in the future.

Both types of education are just as good as eachother - there is NO real difference.
I is gone to private schools and i think they is the same as in education as in the public school. I thinks thats the schools you do do not impact your mark, but you impact mark because you have to study for testts.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A

JamesTockuss said:

Yeah if it happened on a fictitious comedy it must be true!
It was on TV! Who can argue with it's validity!

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC

WannaBang? said:
I is gone to private schools and i think they is the same as in education as in the public school. I thinks thats the schools you do do not impact your mark, but you impact mark because you have to study for testts.
lol, just loll

WannaBang?

HSC

midifile said:
lol, just loll
it's true. they is the same in educationing students who does learning there. I was DUX of the Lurnea High School in 2007 for year 11, i'm heaps smartt. I learn most of my smart from public school, private school not good schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)