What university did your parents goto? (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
my parents went to uni but not in australia. My cousin went to harvard law school...

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
both my parents never went to uni..
both my parents just finished yr6!! primary school...

my mother once finished primary school, joined the workforce, working in clothes making factory
my father...no idea...he doesn't like talking about it, i think he worked in chinese medicine thingy, then opened optomitry shop....

one thingy, both of them could never afford it

this makes me think how lucky i am...

spunkycheezle

hmmm... free uni? my stinkin country has free uni... my parents went to a soicalist uni somewhere in sarajevo... my whole family is filled with freakin engineers... i feel bitter and some what rebelious to their trend. thats why i wanted to drop out in year 10 and become a hairdresser... but alas im going to uws to become an "artiiiiiist" mehehehehehe...

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
i know ey, my dads an engineer (along with heaps of his other friends, but his expertise is useful when it comes to fixing the tape recorder)

RCMasterAA

I vant to suck your blood
HSC
Neither of my parents finished high school I'm pretty sure but they're still alright and earn good pays. Apart from my aunt and my cousin, I too am also the only person in my extended family to go to uni.
My mum's side of the family comes from Vietnam and my dad, China if that says anything. They moved to Australia before I was born to start a better life and boy am I glad they did :)

Ribbon

Niether of my parents went to university... I think my sister (older... she finished her B Medical Science @ USyd in 2002) and I are the first in our family to go to uni. My dad used to race superkarts (he won the national championship a few times) then he stopped that and realised that he must be pretty good at making karts/exaughsts (how the hell do you spell that?) seeing as though he won all the time, so now he has his own business and he gets so much work he had to stop advertising because he couldn't handle it all!

I think its definitely wrong to assume that you can only be successful if you go to uni, or even finish yr 12... My B/f dropped out after year 11, and after doing an IT traineeship, and being so good at it he got kept on at full pay, he is more successful than anyone he went to school with, and will be earning at least 10k more than any of his school buddies when they finish thier degrees this year... without the HECs...

alman

Originally posted by Ribbon
My B/f dropped out after year 11, and after doing an IT traineeship, and being so good at it he got kept on at full pay, he is more successful than anyone he went to school with, and will be earning at least 10k more than any of his school buddies when they finish thier degrees this year... without the HECs...
i think you will find that uni grads will eventually catch up..unless by some miracle (read: luck), this person's income is raised by an enormous amount to keep him ahead of the others..

the best way for non-hsc achievers is to start their own business - truly, it is perhaps the only way to attain higher incomes.i started my own business in yr10 and i am still going to uni (thought i dont really need to work anymore)..:D if you want to know more about what i do, learn about the person in my signature...hehe

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by alman
i think you will find that uni grads will eventually catch up..unless by some miracle (read: luck), this person's income is raised by an enormous amount to keep him ahead of the others..

the best way for non-hsc achievers is to start their own business - truly, it is perhaps the only way to attain higher incomes.i started my own business in yr10 and i am still going to uni (thought i dont really need to work anymore)..:D if you want to know more about what i do, learn about the person in my signature...hehe
wow, u started ur own business in yr 10. im impressed!

Ribbon

Originally posted by alman

OK well grads in higher paying areas would catch up very quickly. But when you consider we are both from a small rural high school (the highest UAI in his year was 89) and the 1/4 or so of the kids who went to uni are doing degrees similar to teaching, he should always be ontop of them.

Considering a 1st year teacher is on 40k, and this will slowly increase to a max of 60k as a head teacher or higher for a principle/whatever. He is currently on 42k and has a 3 year career head start over the teaching graduates. I don't have any evidence to back this up, but I think salaries in the IT industry move alot higher alot faster than the majority of other industries for talented indviduals. It would take a teacher 15 years or so to make it to principle, and double thier income to 80k (I am sure principles in bigger school make higher, but bare with me). I don't think advancing in IT would take this long?

oh and the plan is to start up a business as soon as I have finished my commerce degree. It would start off as a very low risk, no capital 'from home' deal and hopefully grow into something earning him more than 80k a year :D

OK so my theories are a little dodge, but I remain adament that he is, and always will be the most successful out of his year at school...

alman

Originally posted by Sarah168
wow, u started ur own business in yr 10. im impressed!
yeh...i run my own investing company for other people - im a money manager.

as for incomes and such, you have to consider the long term: the short term is a voting machine but in the long term, it is a weighing machine...if you get my drift, those that have substance (i.e. uni degrees, industry qualifications) will eventually turn out to be the real winners...hope that explains things :D

alman

Originally posted by melbournian
Yeah my principal earns $150,000pa (well according to The Age newspaper), which is the highest of any state principal in the state.
i would have thought geelong grammar would have their salaries sky high :p

Pearl

My dad did his degree at the University of Sheffield (England) and his Phd study as well - he was at uni for nearly 9 years!! And my uncle did his Phd at the University Of Edinburgh. And I want to do my Phd at Oxford :)

Last edited:

alman

Originally posted by Pearl
My dad did his degree at the University of Sheffield (England) and his Phd study as well - he was at uni for nearly 9 years!! And my uncle did his Phd at the University Of Edinburgh. And I want to do my Phd at Oxford :)
i dont ever want to get a PhD...i cant stand that dr in front of my name - i just want to be normal...:D

i think i'll just get my MBA from Columbia Graduate School of Business :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
American Universities tend to have a much more decorative view of PhDs. I was talking to the Dean of Law and the Registrar at UTS yesterday. Both had PhDs, but the Registrar's robe made him look like a duke in court dress. It was this full length purple robe with black velvet band (like a vestment, from shoulders to the ground) and on the bands were the crest of his institution. He told me that Americans like to think they're wizards when they get their PhDs :p

edit: Compare this to the Australian and British traditions: plain scarlet robed and poofy hat (scarlet like Catholic Cardinals). No fancy bands, no chevrons on the sleeves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)