What would you do if you found out that your boyfriend's doing drugs (1 Viewer)

jcb93

HSC
Taking all illegal mainstream drugs into perspective, marijuana isn't THAT bad. There's no need to confront or break up with him if it's not affecting you.

Now, if he was on something like creatine that would be a completely different story... creatine, not even once. That shit destroys lives man.
This.

Snorted some creatine at a party once. Tripped for hours and was raped by a group of young, black males.

@Nellymarie: LOL

Edit: Answering the question: Educate yourself about pot. I've smoked for 3 years semi-regularly and it hasn't interfered too much with the rest of my life. If he's a regular smoker you might want to jump on it. Btw had some of the most epic sex ever with gf when we were both stoned. Good times.

Last edited:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Cbf reading the rest of this thread. I'd take some with him and have drug induced sex.

thrillkiller

HSC
you guys keep saying that compared to other drugs its not THAT bad, yeah but that doesnt mean its not bad.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
you guys keep saying that compared to other drugs its not THAT bad, yeah but that doesnt mean its not bad.
that's true

but the harm of smoking marijuana (assuming that's what this thread is about (didn't read)) is fucking tiny and can actually be beneficial in many ways

tell me why marijuana is bad and why that should outweigh the positives of it

jcb93

HSC
that's true

but the harm of smoking marijuana (assuming that's what this thread is about (didn't read)) is fucking tiny and can actually be beneficial in many ways

Don't turn this into a pro pot thread - or even bother advocating pot at all. I mean, yeah it's not that bad in the end but it has its negatives. Decreased motivation, decreased libido, risk of schizophrenia requiring hospitalisation (I work in a hospital, next to the guy in charge of child psychology in the MR department - most kids who are admitted have drug related problems directly associated with smoking weed), a host of neurotoxic effects which can result in decreased STM (short term memory) recall, slowed reaction time - and in addition to this you can apply the gateway drug argument. In regards to the neurotoxic effects - I wrote a 1000 word essay on this for uni if you would like a read. In fact, if you're keen just look on your local uni library database for articles relating to the neurological impacts of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, there are PLENTY.

In regards to the gateway drug argument, I think this is generally pretty accurate (not always, given the right environment). I went on to experiment with LSD and mushrooms (much more intense psychoactives), plus ritalin if that even counts (lol). Lots of my friends went on to the same thing, along with ecstasy and codeine abuse.

Despite all of this I still smoke pot on a regular basis. For me it's harmless fun when I have nothing else to do, and allows me to enjoy music on a whole different level. When I really think about it though, I would probably have just as much fun/be better off without it. It really depends on the situation. If you smoke with good mates semi-regularly and don't let it affect your job/work, then I think it's pretty much harmless. Once you start abusing it and moving onto other drugs, that's when the problem starts. Also, it's sometimes hard to tell when it becomes a problem because the changes can be so gradual/subtle.

Btw nobody should touch this stuff if they have a history of mental illness in the family. BIG no no.

thrillkiller

HSC
that's true

my best friend abused it and i watched his life spiral down. i get that it can be beneficial and is used for medical reasons but just from what ive seen it do i dont agree with it being used for fun especially by teens who mostly do it coz they think theyre cool or something

jcb93

HSC
my best friend abused it and i watched his life spiral down. i get that it can be beneficial and is used for medical reasons but just from what ive seen it do i dont agree with it being used for fun especially by teens who mostly do it coz they think theyre cool or something
It all depends on the context thrillkiller. Arguments from personal experience are generally the weakest (even though I've used them above because I can't be assed searching for evidence). Your friend obviously had problems before he started on the pot and then smoking the pot probably just complicated things (i.e. it was a whole bunch of things with pot in the mix). You can't put it down to ONE substance or ONE trigger. Two of my best friends claim that they became moderately depressed when they were using roacutane - even though they were going through year 12 at the time and had family problems (it turns out there is no link between roacutane and depression in the literature). It is widely claimed that pot can both worsen depression and alleviate depression (it is actually a depressant but is prescribed to treat depression and anxiety in the US). The moral of the story is that drugs are really fucking complicated. It's really hard to judge the impacts they have on a person, especially if that person has existing problems.

I don't think pot should be advocated and I don't know why some people are so keen to tell you 'the harm of smoking marijuana (assuming that's what this thread is about (didn't read)) is fucking tiny'. I mean, that's just utter fucking bullshit, he has no fucking idea what he's talking about. The risk of developing schizophrenia for an 18-24 year old male who smokes pot is ~2%, double the 1% it would be without it. That's twice the risk (2/100 people is NOT fucking tiny).

Anyway smoking pot isn't cool. Wtf lol?

From wikipedia: "Cannabis is associated with a dose-dependent increase in the risk of developing a psychotic disorder[36] with frequent use being correlated with twice the risk of psychosis and schizophrenia.[35][37]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia#Environment

Last edited:

thrillkiller

HSC
It all depends on the context thrillkiller. Arguments from personal experience are generally the weakest (even though I've used them above because I can't be assed searching for evidence). Your friend obviously had problems before he started on the pot and then smoking the pot probably just complicated things (i.e. it was a whole bunch of things with pot in the mix). You can't put it down to ONE substance or ONE trigger. Two of my best friends claim that they became moderately depressed when they were using roacutane - even though they were going through year 12 at the time and had family problems (it turns out there is no link between roacutane and depression in the literature). It is widely claimed that pot can both worsen depression and alleviate depression (it is actually a depressant but is prescribed to treat depression and anxiety in the US). The moral of the story is that drugs are really fucking complicated. It's really hard to judge the impacts they have on a person, especially if that person has existing problems.

I don't think pot should be advocated and I don't know why some people are so keen to tell you 'the harm of smoking marijuana (assuming that's what this thread is about (didn't read)) is fucking tiny'. I mean, that's just utter fucking bullshit, he has no fucking idea what he's talking about. The risk of developing schizophrenia for an 18-24 year old male who smokes pot is ~2%, double the 1% it would be without it. That's twice the risk (2/100 people is NOT fucking tiny). You quadruple the risk if you have a family history.

From wikipedia: "Cannabis is associated with a dose-dependent increase in the risk of developing a psychotic disorder[36] with frequent use being correlated with twice the risk of psychosis and schizophrenia.[35][37]"

i know i shouldnt generalise but from what i saw it didn't do him any favours.

jcb93

HSC
That's from your point of view. Did you ever sit down and really ask him why he smoked? Maybe to escape the reality of his situation? If he really is/was your best friend, you should know this.

jezzmo

Now lactating. Sample me.
HSC
N/A
Yeah it kind of does.

Pot is a bit like doing cones.
You cross the road, see a flash of orange and put your penis in a traffic device. You feel good for a little while, get a bit hungry and go back home.
That is pretty much all there is to know about this argument.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Nah you're retarded

one anecdote about how it "ruined" your friend's life is nonsense

Your friend's life went down the shitter because they're useless, has nothing to do with abusing marijuana.

Don't turn this into a pro pot thread - or even bother advocating pot at all. I mean, yeah it's not that bad in the end but it has its negatives. Decreased motivation, decreased libido, risk of schizophrenia requiring hospitalisation (I work in a hospital, next to the guy in charge of child psychology in the MR department - most kids who are admitted have drug related problems directly associated with smoking weed), a host of neurotoxic effects which can result in decreased STM (short term memory) recall, slowed reaction time - and in addition to this you can apply the gateway drug argument. In regards to the neurotoxic effects - I wrote a 1000 word essay on this for uni if you would like a read. In fact, if you're keen just look on your local uni library database for articles relating to the neurological impacts of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, there are PLENTY.

In regards to the gateway drug argument, I think this is generally pretty accurate (not always, given the right environment). I went on to experiment with LSD and mushrooms (much more intense psychoactives), plus ritalin if that even counts (lol). Lots of my friends went on to the same thing, along with ecstasy and codeine abuse.

Despite all of this I still smoke pot on a regular basis. For me it's harmless fun when I have nothing else to do, and allows me to enjoy music on a whole different level. When I really think about it though, I would probably have just as much fun/be better off without it. It really depends on the situation. If you smoke with good mates semi-regularly and don't let it affect your job/work, then I think it's pretty much harmless. Once you start abusing it and moving onto other drugs, that's when the problem starts. Also, it's sometimes hard to tell when it becomes a problem because the changes can be so gradual/subtle.

Btw nobody should touch this stuff if they have a history of mental illness in the family. BIG no no.
is this a "don't smoke its bad for you" whilst smoking argument

surely you can see why I take issue with that

The gateway argument is a fallacy. You don't smoke marijuana and then immediately need to try other drugs. The desire to try and experience new things (or peer pressure from friends, either way it's still not the drug's fault) was obviously there from the get go and has nothing to do with whether you had marijuana.

You didn't really give me a definitive answer about whether those outweigh the positives.

I don't think pot should be advocated and I don't know why some people are so keen to tell you 'the harm of smoking marijuana (assuming that's what this thread is about (didn't read)) is fucking tiny'. I mean, that's just utter fucking bullshit, he has no fucking idea what he's talking about. The risk of developing schizophrenia for an 18-24 year old male who smokes pot is ~2%, double the 1% it would be without it. That's twice the risk (2/100 people is NOT fucking tiny).

lol

HSC
that's true

even if it is bad for you
why does that matter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)