What you hate about UNSW (2 Viewers)

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
lol when i was at UNSW for a lecture seminar, packed Asians.

Lol funny thing is, i tried to count the amount of Asians in the lecture theatre. Sadly i kept losing my tally, too many of them. :lol:

shannonm

HSC
N/A
I got a tip for next time :D
Instead, try count the number of non-asians instead of asians :eek: It's harder to lose count and if your lecture has under 500 people you can count them on your fingers :rofl:

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Miliux said:
Who are you trying to kid me here? I have been to UNSW long enough to know about the state of UNSW. And you want me to discuss something mentioned in this thread? About Asians, how bloody long the stairs are or how cheap university is in over-enrolling students in a lecture hall?

Take a good look by going on exchange. I also did a conference in Oxford university as well and European uni are in a far better condition compared to UNSW. 30 students are maximum enrolement per class, not 500 and we have instructors as tutors who are competant, not some cheap as master student who just got hired so he can pay off his uni fee.

The fact that LL.M is 16,000 dollars even with government subsidy. I can get better recognised masters which is just a quarter of that fee and far better education with lower student/teacher ratio.

UNSW has gotten worse and worse every year. Classes cancelled, and they build larger lecture halls to fit more students in per instructor. It's a corporatised entity to lure students in then make it as cost-effective as possible without improving the quality of tertiary education.

Why do i want to part of that rat-race in followed this institution who thinks that the degree printing press is more important than what is taught beyond a textbook?

There, that's what i 'hate about UNSW'.
It doesn't make a difference where you do your stupid humanities degree. You are doing a humanities degree. It means nothing.

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
Curry said:
It doesn't make a difference where you do your stupid humanities degree. You are doing a humanities degree. It means nothing.
Already got anchored a job as a para-legal. How about you? It must mean something since i got a job...

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Miliux said:
Already got anchored a job as a para-legal. How about you? It must mean something since i got a job...
Yes. I already have a job after graduation.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
i think it was already solved in late 2002/early 2003.
the drunk russian that did it declined the fields medal in maths

accolade

HSC
Dear Students

A quick reminder that the first 2008 Kensington Campus meeting between
students and senior staff members will be held on Thursday 3 April between
10.30am-11.30am in the Council Chambers on the ground floor of the
Chancellery Building (upper campus). These campus meetings are an informal
way for students to raise any issues with me and other senior staff on
campus.

Staff in attendance next week will be myself and Mr Peter Graham, Chief
Operating Officer (available for first 30 minutes). The Chief Operating
Officer portfolio includes IT, facilities on campus such as retail outlets
as well as transport. Caitlin Hurley, Chair of Arc@UNSW will also be in
attendance.

If you can't get along to this meeting you can email
pvcstudents@unsw.edu.au with your thoughts. Information on other campus
meetings and the Student Liaison Group will be available in the April Low
Down online newsletter on the myUNSW home page early next week.

Kind Regards

Professor Joan Cooper
Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Students)
spam them with a printed copy of this thread especially how goddamn crowded our classes are. :angry:

hungryaussieyum

HSC
N/A
Miliux said:
Who are you trying to kid me here? I have been to UNSW long enough to know about the state of UNSW. And you want me to discuss something mentioned in this thread? About Asians, how bloody long the stairs are or how cheap university is in over-enrolling students in a lecture hall?

Take a good look by going on exchange. I also did a conference in Oxford university as well and European uni are in a far better condition compared to UNSW. 30 students are maximum enrolement per class, not 500 and we have instructors as tutors who are competant, not some cheap as master student who just got hired so he can pay off his uni fee.

The fact that LL.M is 16,000 dollars even with government subsidy. I can get better recognised masters which is just a quarter of that fee and far better education with lower student/teacher ratio.

UNSW has gotten worse and worse every year. Classes cancelled, and they build larger lecture halls to fit more students in per instructor. It's a corporatised entity to lure students in then make it as cost-effective as possible without improving the quality of tertiary education.

Why do i want to part of that rat-race in followed this institution who thinks that the degree printing press is more important than what is taught beyond a textbook?

gg, all the 4 major unis in NSW are like that, its shit .
the staff-student ratio is poor, fu$k the international students.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Miliux said:

^ Agreed.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
hungryaussieyum said:
gg, all the 4 major unis in NSW are like that, its shit .
the staff-student ratio is poor, fu$k the international students.
yeh but not as bad

wikiwiki

Fear and Trembling
HSC
Some people in this thread are overly obsessed with 'European uni'. In most of Europe the university systems are crumbling because they are entirely publicly funded and the governments can not afford to maintain the system. When 60 or 80% of the population of a nation attend university without contributing through fees it naturally leads to an overcrowding and underfunding of the university system.

Nevertheless I found that my semester at UNSW was unsatisfactory in comparison with the University of Sydney. Usyd provides a better education despite the specific problems it faces. I exclude UNSW Arts because the administration is to blame for that disgrace and not the staff. First year economics subjects felt like an assembly line, with free thought or discussion discouraged due to overcrowding and a lack of competence in the English language. The average student at the University of Athens knows better English than most international students from Asia at UNSW.

The situation will improve as English instruction improves in Asia. As I am currently studying 3 languages, I understand the difficulty in learning a new language, particularly one not from the same language family. However, adequate English language skills are required for meaningful tertiary study. Accepting students who are not fluent in the language does them a great disservice because they are paying for an education they can not fully engage with.

bubbly89

HSC
I told myself I wouldn't participate in this but...

why on earth do they have to change my timetable every single week? Whats wrong with having the same timetable every week ?? Huhh?? too simple for them? Too convenient for us? too much like pretty much every other education institution in this country?

I just hate it when I get a call from an old friend saying, hey what you doing two weeks from now on Friday and I say I don't know because I don't have my internet connection in front of me.

Stupid crappy timetable

iversion

HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
Some people in this thread are overly obsessed with 'European uni'. In most of Europe the university systems are crumbling because they are entirely publicly funded and the governments can not afford to maintain the system. When 60 or 80% of the population of a nation attend university without contributing through fees it naturally leads to an overcrowding and underfunding of the university system.

Nevertheless I found that my semester at UNSW was unsatisfactory in comparison with the University of Sydney. Usyd provides a better education despite the specific problems it faces. I exclude UNSW Arts because the administration is to blame for that disgrace and not the staff. First year economics subjects felt like an assembly line, with free thought or discussion discouraged due to overcrowding and a lack of competence in the English language. The average student at the University of Athens knows better English than most international students from Asia at UNSW.

The situation will improve as English instruction improves in Asia. As I am currently studying 3 languages, I understand the difficulty in learning a new language, particularly one not from the same language family. However, adequate English language skills are required for meaningful tertiary study. Accepting students who are not fluent in the language does them a great disservice because they are paying for an education they can not fully engage with.
indeed

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
bubbly89 said:
I told myself I wouldn't participate in this but...

why on earth do they have to change my timetable every single week? Whats wrong with having the same timetable every week ?? Huhh?? too simple for them? Too convenient for us? too much like pretty much every other education institution in this country?
Med?

ilessthan3u

HSC
eugh having tutors who can't speak eloquent english makes it very difficult to learn, especially concerning QMA. as friggen hard as it already is, i cant bloody understand a word my tutor says.

oh and the excessive numbers of international students taking the places of what would be local students..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)