What Your think your raw marks will be? (1 Viewer)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
michael.baltins said:
Hey ga000 thats a pretty good mark... But it'll scale down.The high marks scale down and the lower marks scale up to bring everyone closer to the average.
If that's the case, I'm better off.
I 'attempted' the entire paper as it is my 11th unit.
Time management and effort wasn't an issue, I simply answered what I know and what I don't know.

IceOnFire

HSC
michael.baltins said:
Hey ga000 thats a pretty good mark... But it'll scale down.The high marks scale down and the lower marks scale up to bring everyone closer to the average.
Uh.. you are joking right? Because I think you are bullshiting.

IceOnFire

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: What Your think your raw marks will be?

Hikari Clover said:
i got 79...
Yeah! I think I got that too.. give or take one or two marks depending on the marking.

I think my answers were a bit dodgy.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
michael.baltins said:
Ur wrong for a number of reasons .. first of all BOS don't "scale" marks ... they align them...that is they determine wat raw marks correspond to the bands. Eg. if it was a relatively hard test and the majoriy of student fell in the 40-50 range .. they will say a 60+/84, FOR EXAMPLE ONLY, will get a band E4, a 45+ band E3 and so on...

This process is called aligning or moderating NOT scaling.

Secondly, in the process of moderating, especially for subjects like ext1 maths, the majority of student, if not ALL, are moderated upwards. The guys at the top who are getting close to 80/84 still get scaled up, just not as much because there is obviously less room to move (from 80 to 84) as opposed to someone who gets 60 raw and can move up to 45/50 scaled.

Now does that make a bit more sense? I think so...

BTW i hope i dont come across as a wank but i don't enjoy people talking sh*t

G

gaoOO

michael.baltins said:
so you think less than 97?
damn, i really need this mark.

actually, yeah, i think marks don't get scaled down exactly, but i know that if i got say 60, it would be raised by a lot compared to an 81-82/84, which i'm assuming would not get raised at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
When I got out of the exam, I thought I got around 69 raw mark but just after checking with Terry Lee's solutions, if I remember my answers correctly, I got 66 raw.

So close to 80%...:(

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
gaoOO said:
so you think less than 97?
damn, i really need this mark.

actually, yeah, i think marks don't get scaled down exactly, but i know that if i got say 60, it would be raised by a lot compared to an 81-82/84, which i'm assuming would not get raised at all.
You'll be set for 98-99 if your school assessment is good with that raw mark. I think you'll clear 97 easy based on previous year's so u shouldn't have anything to worry about =)

appleide

HSC
I should've done a practice paper...... My 1st place gave me overconfidence.. and in the end I missed out on the last 3 marker.......
Might've even scored 100% if I had practised more.....
But accounting for silly mistakes, 79+/84
Though I needed the time spent on 4 unit... Expecting raw = 70% there only.

I am hoping 4th place (1st in 4 unit, claiming 90% in 4 unit exam. He's forth in 3u cos he screwed up 3 unit trials studying only for 4 u.) gets 100% in this 3 unit exam... lol I feel evil.

G

gaoOO

markzada said:
You'll be set for 98-99 if your school assessment is good with that raw mark. I think you'll clear 97 easy based on previous year's so u shouldn't have anything to worry about =)
ok, that's comforting. thanks markzada :)

now to worry about my remaining exams... 3 more to go

stewmazza

HSC
markzada said:
Ur wrong for a number of reasons .. first of all BOS don't "scale" marks ... they align them...that is they determine wat raw marks correspond to the bands. Eg. if it was a relatively hard test and the majoriy of student fell in the 40-50 range .. they will say a 60+/84, FOR EXAMPLE ONLY, will get a band E4, a 45+ band E3 and so on...

This process is called aligning or moderating NOT scaling.

Secondly, in the process of moderating, especially for subjects like ext1 maths, the majority of student, if not ALL, are moderated upwards. The guys at the top who are getting close to 80/84 still get scaled up, just not as much because there is obviously less room to move (from 80 to 84) as opposed to someone who gets 60 raw and can move up to 45/50 scaled.

Now does that make a bit more sense? I think so...

BTW i hope i dont come across as a wank but i don't enjoy people talking sh*t
look sorry mark but i'll just correct you there, scaling is actually where your mark is "scaled" or "moderated" according to how everyone else went. So naturally in 3 unit maths there are more people doing well lol! This means that marks are naturally "scaled" to award those students with lower marks who simply can't compete with these geniuses lol!

This in effect evens out the average of the subject, so those scoring higher marks will be moderated to allow for the weaker attempts. I'm very happy with my strategy of attempting the last question first, as this is the question where the most scaling occurs, as it is the hardest in the paper.

Sorry i don't mean to sound pretentious but you did come across as if you knew it all, just a few points you missed lol!

Legham

HSC
I just went through terry lee's answers, and i got somewhere in the 53 - 56 range.. Pretty happy with that

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
stewmazza said:
look sorry mark but i'll just correct you there, scaling is actually where your mark is "scaled" or "moderated" according to how everyone else went. So naturally in 3 unit maths there are more people doing well lol! This means that marks are naturally "scaled" to award those students with lower marks who simply can't compete with these geniuses lol!

This in effect evens out the average of the subject, so those scoring higher marks will be moderated to allow for the weaker attempts. I'm very happy with my strategy of attempting the last question first, as this is the question where the most scaling occurs, as it is the hardest in the paper.

Sorry i don't mean to sound pretentious but you did come across as if you knew it all, just a few points you missed lol!
I'm incredibly confused by this explanation.

Just to point out one thing, scaling does not occur on individual questions in any particular exam paper.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
stewmazza said:

You OBVIOUSLY have NO IDEA on what you are speaking about. First of all "scaling" and "moderating" are two (2), yes TWO, different processes. They have been defined several times on these forums and I can't understand how you don't understand what they are yet, but that's not my problem.

And second of all, like soulsearcher has quite rightly explained, scaling DOES NOT occur for single questions. Before you speak about scaling or moderation, I suggest that you read the following UAI info page first.

http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uaiqanda.html

That is just the basics. Maybe you can learn a thing or two. Then you can read this.

http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uaiqanda.html

And when you're done with that, you can come back and mount an argument that may firstly make sense, and secondly be true.

Again, I don't want to come across as a wank but please don't talk shit when I've actually done the research.

mattzada

HSC
stewmazza said:

You obviously have very little knowledge of how the scaling system works.

Firstly, each particular question is not scaled...so Q7 does not get scaled better than Q1. Your total raw mark for the exam is aligned. This is why it is more effective to do Q1-6 first (its better value - you get more marks in less time!!!)

Secondly, if the guys at the top get scaled down, so that they "will be moderated to allow for the weaker attempts" then how is it possible that a a student at my school, in 2006, 'Haque', got 100 for his Extension 1 mark, and came in the top 10 in the state....????????...I didn't know you could get scaled down from 84/84 to ................... 100/100 ........... wulllah real magic!

If you don't believe me:

| 15250 | Mathematics Extension 1 | Imran Imtiaz Haque | 7 | Sydney Technical High School Bexley |
(from: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/TAINC_2006_12.htm)

Read his signature:
Dux of Tech class of 06- (Maths extension1-100), (Math ext2-99), (Physics-95), (Chemistry-95), (Modern History-95), (English Advanced 93) UAI 2006-99.95
2007 Bsc(Adv)/MBBS @usyd
(from: http://community.boredofstudies.org/members/haque/)

twilight1412

HSC
lol mattazada double posted just to flame him twice =S

anyways wasnt this thread about how you think you went?
not a debate about how scaling/moderating works?

personally =)
i think it was pretty gay
74/84

@: you guys

i think everyone is just stating what theyve been taught/read
so its obvious that someone would have come across wrong information
so its no excuse to flame people on forums =)
flame = rage = bad

its not like you guys have never been wrong before

stewmazza

HSC
mattzada said:
You obviously have very little knowledge of how the scaling system works.

Firstly, each particular question is not scaled...so Q7 does not get scaled better than Q1. Your total raw mark for the exam is aligned. This is why it is more effective to do Q1-6 first (its better value - you get more marks in less time!!!)

Secondly, if the guys at the top get scaled down, so that they "will be moderated to allow for the weaker attempts" then how is it possible that a a student at my school, in 2006, 'Haque', got 100 for his Extension 1 mark, and came in the top 10 in the state....????????...I didn't know you could get scaled down from 84/84 to ................... 100/100 ........... wulllah real magic!

If you don't believe me:

(from: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/TAINC_2006_12.htm)

Read his signature:

(from: http://community.boredofstudies.org/members/haque/)
your wrong there zada and i'll tell you why
of course if you get 100, you aren't going to get scaled down, thats unethical. its the people in the 90's whos mark is moderated, so as to align the average. i don't think u quite have your facts right either, as Haque appears not to be a real person, as i double checked your so called links and they revealed that he is an imposter. For this reason i ask you please not to post stuff that is obviously crap, theres no need to fill innocent minds with tripe lol!

http://www.hsctutor.com.au/scaling.html

that should clear up any of the holes in your knowledge, i think its been made pretty clear on this forum and by your teachers (i hope lol!:) ), but if your still unsure that should clue you in. It discusses how harder questions are treated this way, and thus scaled to ensure people are rewarded for obtaining these tricky marks. That makes sense now doesn't it lol! :)

anyway hope that helps and sorry i don't mean to sound like a tool but i just can't stand people like mario and luigi zada over there talkin shit, its irritating :)

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
mattzada said:
wtf! How on earth are you supposed to come first in the state if you come 7th with a score of 100?

boothster

HSC
shouldnt we be more worried about going well then trying to delve into the twisted workings of the bos or uac scaling systems? anyway we cant change anything now so just wait for the letter on the 19/20th

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)