What Your think your raw marks will be? (1 Viewer)

G

gaoOO

Fish Sauce said:
wtf! How on earth are you supposed to come first in the state if you come 7th with a score of 100?
100 is not the raw mark, it's the aligned mark. the person who came first probably got a higher raw mark, but it got aligned to the same mark of 100, which is pretty damn good.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
gaoOO said:
100 is not the raw mark, it's the aligned mark. the person who came first probably got a higher raw mark, but it got aligned to the same mark of 100, which is pretty damn good.
True. It just seems a bit odd. They must have got 83/84 in the test or something for that to happen.

SSejychan

HSC
I only got 72 marks done out of the 84 for this. I'm pretty peeved, but i know i could've done better if i had done more practise papers...

I'm just hoping that most of the questions i did do were right....

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease.....

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I advise all of you who are arguing about scaling/alignment/moderating to at least read these two links before trying to argue anymore on this topic, as we are getting a lot of incorrect information being spouted out about these processes.

http://www.uac.edu.au/admin/uai.html - Scaling of raw HSC marks.
http://users.on.net/unix/HSCmarks.pdf - Alignment/Moderation of raw HSC marks and internal assessment marks.

http://www.hsctutor.com.au/scaling.html - This site is talking about alignment of raw HSC marks to give the final aligned HSC mark, rather than the actual scaling process. She, and as a consequence, the person who brought up this link, have been misguided in their attempt to understand the scaling process, just to point out something here.

Last edited:

Autumn_Rain

HSC
Fish Sauce said:
wtf! How on earth are you supposed to come first in the state if you come 7th with a score of 100?
I'm not sure if this is true, but my maths teacher told us that to sort out the rankings, they have a look at your working at that sort of thing. When a number of people are tied at the top (logically, it would happen alot), they might see if someone used a cleverer method or got a more technically correct answer or whatever to determine who they'll rank as first, second..... whatever.

mattzada

HSC
michael.baltins said:
hey mattzada although you have read those sites you may have failed to grasp the simple concepts involved in scaling and moderating. I'm sorry to inform you that if the worst people got scaled down and the best scaled up, there would be no reason for people to do 3U, as they could get higher marks in 2u and get scaled up instead of getting say 50s-60s in 3U and getting scaled down. If you understood this you wouldn't have needed to post two replies to the one comment.
Aligning benefits those at the lower end more.

Simply, the guys at the lower end get aligned...say from 60/84(71%) to 90%....while the guys at the top get scaled from 83/84 (99%) to 100%. The difference between the aligning for the bottom guys is 90-71=19%; and the top guys is only 100-99=1%. So that's a big difference!!! But...no one ever gets aligned downwards (unless of course the exam was so easy...that everyone got between 75-84 RAW...then they might align some people from the lower scale down a bit...it just depends)

Please dont rely on this information: 'http://www.hsctutor.com.au/scaling.html' go read Board of Studies or.... UAC info...they are the ones who do the aligning/scaling...not this tutor bloke!

mattzada

HSC
gaoOO said:
Yer thats probably true...I'm just saying...how can he get aligned down (if he is at the top) when he got 83-84/84 and ended up with 100 ??? That's obviously getting aligned up!

stewmazza

HSC
michael.baltins said:
No only the people who actually get 100 won't scale down, and some of the 83/84s will scale up, the other top marks below this will scale down slightly, while the lower marks such as the 40s and 50s out of 84 will scale up quite a lot
thats probably the best explanation i've heard about scaling. thanks michael that really clears things up for me! that makes me very pleased with my own mark, 12-13/84, and im hoping that because i got 8-9/12 for the last question i will be boosted even further also. With scalling it will mean my mark should reach the mid to high 60s out of 84, not a bad result for 3 unit in the end :) !

G

gaoOO

stewmazza said:
thats probably the best explanation i've heard about scaling. thanks michael that really clears things up for me! that makes me very pleased with my own mark, 12-13/84, and im hoping that because i got 8-9/12 for the last question i will be boosted even further also. With scalling it will mean my mark should reach the mid to high 60s out of 84, not a bad result for 3 unit in the end :) !
so what michael baltins is saying is that my mark will end up being similar to stewmazza's

so 81-82 --> 60s <-- 12-13

i'm going to laugh my arse off, no offence stewmazza.

stewmazza

HSC
gaoOO said:
so what michael baltins is saying is that my mark will end up being similar to stewmazza's

so 81-82 --> 60s <-- 12-13

i'm going to laugh my arse off, no offence stewmazza.
o don't worry, none taken. i pity foolish kids such as yourself that are all cocky after their exam and come on bored of studies and say.. yer i reckon probably 82-83 / 84 very disappointed stuffed the easiest question in the paper up. well i will be laughing when ur mark is scaled down and i am pushed up thanks to my exam strategy. no offence or anything and i dont mean to sound like a wank but you will probably fail in life as well, so i have that against you as well

!! :) :) !! :) :) !! no offenze gaoOO lol!

stewmazza

HSC
and i hope the "Amazingly Beautiful" is in reference to the subject of maths, because if its about you you might come accross as slightly arrogant! lol! :) No offence though gaoOO im sure you are as you say you are lol! lol! LOL! and i guess it would be in line with your estimations with how you went in extension maths as well, so i guess it could well be about yourself lol!

G

gaoOO

stewmazza said:
and i hope the "Amazingly Beautiful" is in reference to the subject of maths, because if its about you you might come accross as slightly arrogant! lol! :) No offence though gaoOO im sure you are as you say you are lol! lol! LOL! and i guess it would be in line with your estimations with how you went in extension maths as well, so i guess it could well be about yourself lol!
actually gaoOO is the nickname for a chinese actress, which is what it refers to.

i think she's gorgeous :)

well good luck. i hope you get the results that you want. i'll let you know if our marks get scaled to a similar standard as members here seem to suggest will happen.

edit: i just realised that i can't directly link the image... lol...

anyway, good luck to all extension 1 english students! sleep well and hope for hot supervisors. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

jah_lu

HSC
N/A
i'm not trying to be slack but
stewmazza, being so confident (and implying you are so much more learned in the subject that other people) when repeatedly saying something that is obviously stupid (despite many people with evidence explaining otherwise) makes you look even more of an idiot
if you really do get 12-13 as you said, then you can expect to get an e1 and one of the lowest as well
(12 is like getting question 1 all right and then nothing else)

Last edited:

boncho90

HSC
Hehe, stewmazza's posts have made me laugh for the first time today. Although I do feel sort of sorry for him, thinking of the shock he'll get when he reads his HSC results.

I didn't do too well, but I'm over it now. Expecting 65-75 (hopefully higher if my fudging pays off!)

SoulSlayer

HSC
stewmazza said:
o don't worry, none taken. i pity foolish kids such as yourself that are all cocky after their exam and come on bored of studies and say.. yer i reckon probably 82-83 / 84 very disappointed stuffed the easiest question in the paper up. well i will be laughing when ur mark is scaled down and i am pushed up thanks to my exam strategy. no offence or anything and i dont mean to sound like a wank but you will probably fail in life as well, so i have that against you as well

!! :) :) !! :) :) !! no offenze gaoOO lol!
olol.

You should really work on posting less shit.[comment]ololtroll. Works on more than 1 level as well.[/comment]

Richarduke

HSC
I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna get a raw mark of 79/84, if not 78/84.
Anyone knows roughly what kind of aligned mark I will get?
Can I possibly get a 48/50?

jah_lu

HSC
N/A
yeh it should probably 96-97/100 so 48-49 out of 50
you know i just realised how hard it was to get in the high 90s lol
my friend showed me a uac file on last yrs hsc
and for 4u, getting 97+ was being in the top 1% of the state
and since theres only 3000 people doing 4u, that means you came top 30
cant rem the numbers for 3u though

jah_lu

HSC
N/A
yeh it should probably 96-97/100 so 48-49 out of 50
you know i just realised how hard it was to get in the high 90s lol
my friend showed me a uac file on last yrs hsc
and for 4u, getting 97+ was being in the top 1% of the state
and since theres only 3000 people doing 4u, that means you came top 30
cant rem the numbers for 3u though

Tsuska

HSC
gaoOO said:
actually gaoOO is the nickname for a chinese actress, which is what it refers to.

i think she's gorgeous :)

well good luck. i hope you get the results that you want. i'll let you know if our marks get scaled to a similar standard as members here seem to suggest will happen.

edit: i just realised that i can't directly link the image... lol...

anyway, good luck to all extension 1 english students! sleep well and hope for hot supervisors. :p
What's the actress's name? Is that the same one as the one from Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 2003? Owell, all asians look alike =P

Then again, i'm asian =P

Venator

another member
HSC
that was a really good exam.
i got all the answers... so i would assume high 90s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)