Whats best, chemistry or physics? (1 Viewer)

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Their is a thread about Chem or Physics. Apparently Chem is memorise whilst Physics is applied

bubbrubb

HSC
If your going to do 3U math probs Physics?

depends whether your better at solving or you can remember alot like for chem u probs gotta remember like 70 elements but as to physics its like u solve problems i guess Physics is like equation equation equation solve this and solve that i mean like yeh lol hope it helps and makes sense =/

If you don't know what you are talking about please don't mislead people. "you probs gotta remember like 70 elements" what are you smoking? It's alot of memorising but its not pointless like memorising elements. Physics isn't equation equation either. There are alot of equations (especially 2009 HSC) but they don't require much mathematics at all.

Someone mentioned that Physic's is more applied while chem is more memorisation. To the best of my knowledge, this is true. Physic's focuses more on understanding rather than memorising in a way.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
If you don't know what you are talking about please don't mislead people. "you probs gotta remember like 70 elements" what are you smoking? It's alot of memorising but its not pointless like memorising elements. Physics isn't equation equation either. There are alot of equations (especially 2009 HSC) but they don't require much mathematics at all.

Someone mentioned that Physic's is more applied while chem is more memorisation. To the best of my knowledge, this is true. Physic's focuses more on understanding rather than memorising in a way.
You cant really fault this post in any way

+1

kfnmpah

HSC
Their is a thread about Chem or Physics. Apparently Chem is memorise whilst Physics is applied
This is true for pre 2009 papers, and i'm assuming it'll be more application for chem coming up.

The Board of Studies has changed a lot of the format of the papers because of all these tutoring colleges that are drilling in the syllabus so students just memorise shit and vomit it back up. This is not what they're testing, so they've changed the formats... Anyone remember the 2unit maths and the religion paper from 2009?

This may be a bit incoherent, but you get what i mean. Everything becoming less 'memorise' and more application.

I found 2009 chem paper was a lot less 'memorise' than past papers. There were still elements of it, but not as much as previous papers.

Time's are a changing.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Chemistry I find is better. Chemistry scales better.

In the end, do subjects YOU think you'll do best in. Don't worry about scaling. Me? I just happen to like the subjects that scale high.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Well it is entirely up to you and your interests. Take a look at the syllabus and the topics covered. Remember that it is a two year course, so whatever you choose, your stuck with it until the very end (unless you drop it or there's a 2 week window period). I've heard that Physics scales better, but some tell me that Chemistry scales better. Let's say they scale similarly?
Chem scales a bit better than Physics.

Chemistry scales better. But putting that aside, choose what interests you the most. You said you liked maths, and in both subjects there is a fair bit of calculations involved.
+1.

I personally enjoyed Chem heaps, and thought prelim physics was pretty lame -hence dropped it. ive heard that HSC physics is very different from prelim though, so you never know...
I find both Chem and Physics equally likable and undroppable.

biology ma'am
Physics + Chem > Bio imo.

depends whether your better at solving or you can remember alot like for chem u probs gotta remember like 70 elements
That is entirely false.

but as to physics its like u solve problems i guess Physics is like equation equation equation solve this and solve that i mean like yeh lol hope it helps and makes sense =/
No that's in Year 11. In Year 12 you also have to memorise heaps. Btw I wouldn't advise giving HSC subject selection advice when you haven't completed (or started, for this matter) Year 11.

Last edited:

auxx

HSC
Well interest > scaling.
In '09, chemistry scaled better than physics by .1. In '08, physics scaled better than chemistry, so try not to base anything on scaling.

Well, i had the same dilemma as you, and i ended up choosing physics because of my interest. I think it was the better decision and do not regret anything at all. I also got a band 6 for physics

From what i hear, chem = memorising. physics is more of application question. Dont be fooled, there isnt that much maths in physics, other than projectile, its simple sub in numbers.

I poster this thread when i had to decide aswell. It might answer some of your questions.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/819/general-discussion-2009-hsc/189981/physics-chemistry.html

[EDIT]
Meh, link is broken, redirects to another page. LAME

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Yes, you should do subjects you are intersted in as you are more likely to do better in them. However, if you have the talent and aren't epically in love with the subjects + wouldn't mind doing decent/high scaling subjects, consider doing the decent/high scaling subjects.

Pick up hsc physics and chem text books and flick through both. Take note of which one you'd prefer to learn and do it.

Oh and usually chem scales better than physics overall, but at the higher end physics scales much better than chem (which is where most people would be aiming for). But as someone said, they scale similarily so it doesn't matter anyway and my generalisation will vary from year to year.

BTW, i found physics much more interesting than chem.

shaon0

HSC
Both are just textbook cram subjects. But as above has stated, flick through a couple of phys and chem books and see what you like in either subject

proletariat

HSC
I chose physics and chem in yr 11. Dropped phys in yr 12.

Why?

I found space (first topic) interesting but then when we started all the shit about electricity, voltages and stuff... really turned me off.

Personally I liked chem more but hard to say... it's really up to the person.

imho, it is usually the people who love maths that love physics while the people who are more into written stuff prefer chemistry. Maybe it was just my grade but it makes sense in a way.
omg. exact reason why i dropped physics. Im really dissapointed though, theres so much philosophy in quantum (well, when you talk to your friends about it :p).

Also dissapointed with the emphasis on electricity in chem >: (

But, content-wise, chem is larger than physics (most schools dont finish syllabus, apparently, we dont though :p)

If you understand it, most of the work in both chem and physics is regurgitating it from year 7-10 imo

Schoey93

HSC
Chem scales a bit better than Physics.

+1.

I find both Chem and Physics equally likeable and undroppable.

Physics + Chem > Bio imo.

That is entirely false.

No that's in Year 11. In Year 12 you also have to memorise heaps. Btw I wouldn't advise giving HSC subject selection advice when you haven't completed (or started, for this matter) Year 11.
He is also doing the International Baccalaureate Diploma, which is completely different to the HSC, so even when he has finished Year 11 he would be unqualified to explain the content of the Physics and Chemistry preliminary HSC courses.

cng

HSC
well thanks everyone for your opinions they have helped me alot! i think im going to choose physics, i want to do something i guess different and challenging, and i have interest towards any sort of science so yea i'll see how it goes :)

many thanks again

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
On what facts do you base your opinion?
Dunno what that person is basing it on, but they are Fd. Many, many times they want you to include things that aren't even implied in the question.

I've only had that happen to me once in Physics XD

hazmatt_05

HSC
It seems as though you have a keen interest in Maths (because you're doing 3U) so Physics is probably the choice for you, as it is a Mathematics-based subject, more so than Chemistry. I chose Physics and I don't regret my decision at all. You just need to work hard at it and you'll be seen as smart in the eyes of others! :p

saberbladexx

HSC
They both have pretty good content, but i prefer chemistry in the end of the day because my physics teacher is a major bludger and is very lazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)