Whats everyone up to lately? (1 Viewer)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Hey guys,

What's everyone upto lately? I haven't seen any of the regulars lately posting.. its like all of you have disappeared :(.... well not all of u i still see rob and mike post quite a bit :p

the macq forums used to be so active... i've turned into a lurker :s lol which is not cool.

So whats everyone been upto? jobs, girlfriends/boyfriends, graduating, uni, honors, post grad, weightloss/gotten healthy/gained massive muscles, marriage? skittled mj?? :p.., engagement? anyone?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Slowly vegetating as I write this damn thesis.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
clairegirl said:
marriage? skittled mj?? :p.., engagement? anyone?
haha no!! :p

Applying for grad jobs, struggling through my second last essay EVER (well, for undergrad anyway)... trying not to procrastinate too much, but its pretty hard because we just bought a Wii and Wii Fit.

Apart from that, not much. Celebrating my last semester, really. Just taking it easy.

p.s. Mike, I like your thesis percentage updates on facebook :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its steadily growing...and falling at the same time ><

Ditched my entire opening today and in the process of re-writing, so now the rest of it sounds weird...so I gotta fix that ARGH

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Lol wow I haven't posted in a while, that is, if you'd consider me a regular, which most people probably wouldn't.

None of your "questions" really fit me haha, except today I plan to start going to the gym again and getting healthier :)

That, and living at W.A.N.G. bbqs.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
clairegirl said:
Hey guys,

What's everyone upto lately? I haven't seen any of the regulars lately posting.. its like all of you have disappeared :(.... well not all of u i still see rob and mike post quite a bit :p

the macq forums used to be so active... i've turned into a lurker :s lol which is not cool.

So whats everyone been upto? jobs, girlfriends/boyfriends, graduating, uni, honors, post grad, weightloss/gotten healthy/gained massive muscles, marriage? skittled mj?? :p.., engagement? anyone?
I've become a lurker too...

I'm working at Macquarie and it sucks big time. Yesterday I started at around 9 and finished at 8pm. Normally I try to get there by 7/7:30 so I can leave at 5 to go to uni three nights a week.

I try and squeeze in gym thurs night, sat and sunday.

I hardly see my girlfriend (compared to before) which is really tough, but we're getting by. Been almost 2 and a half years.

I live so far from the city so I'm interested in getting my own place. I thought Petersham would be a good area (next to Leichardt)

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Supra said:
I live so far from the city so I'm interested in getting my own place. I thought Petersham would be a good area (next to Leichardt)
I love all those areas! Petersham, Newtown, Summer Hill etc. Its cheaper than Leichhardt and Rozelle. It would be great being <20 minutes to the city.

I have a friend who worked at Mac Bank and also quit because of the crazy hours and stress; they didn't get that he had a life and study outside of work :rolleyes:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Uni work taking over my life. I am trying very hard to fit in a social life as well because I don't want to miss fun things. I just have so much to do on so many different areas in such a short amount of time. Doing my best to stay calm but the hurriedness of this message / my current inability to focus fully because there is no time to (see next post i make) may prove otherwise :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
I have a friend who worked at Mac Bank and also quit because of the crazy hours and stress; they didn't get that he had a life and study outside of work :rolleyes:
A life?! What's that!

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I post less frequently too :( As for me, I'm getting ready to start placements very soon, but until then i'm mainly working on my research project, which is a very very slow process. I'll be tutoring PSY321: Neuropsychology in a few weeks, which should be cool. Oh, and my article (thesis) is being reviewed by 'Vision Research', so i'm hoping to get some news on that soon (although i'm not expecting, really).

MJ: The Crocodile Twist excercise in wii fit is painful... :p

HSC
N/A
I have:

* Just set a new personal record for number of part time jobs held at one time (four)
* Taken part-time study to a while new level (ONE a semester, looking forward to just ONE next year... can you believe I was a full-time student for 2 1/2 years?)
* Began to be able to recognise the various ITS operators by their voices alone
* Learnt how to twist the treadmill to face our new widescreen TV that has Foxtel
* Done an updated budget and realised that the cost of moving out this year is even higher than it was last year :(
* Found the prettiest red umbrella in the history of the universe
* Re-discovered the joys of flying a kite!

I'm working quite a lot these days so don't have time to post much, but I do read it all :)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
MaryJane said:
I love all those areas! Petersham, Newtown, Summer Hill etc. Its cheaper than Leichhardt and Rozelle. It would be great being <20 minutes to the city.

I was looking at a nice little place just minutes walk from Norton Street, it was North Petersham I think. I agree, those areas give the best of both worlds, proximity to the city and lifestyle at an affordable price.

They told me during interviews that core hours were 9-5:30 and they were happy for me to leave early for uni. Two weeks into the job they weren't happy and wanted more hours from me, so they are going back on what they said. They couldn't care less about uni or any life outside work in general. It's not the greatest place to start your career when your young, although the opportunities are there.

I met a guy in my Accg tutorial who quit Mac last year for the same reasons. Seems to be a common theme

mserica

HSC
I hear you on the Mac Bank issue, i work for a European investment bank and trust me, in the market mac bank has a pretty demanding name attached to it, long hours, bonus' arent that great but all in all if u survive mac bank you can survive almost anything....

Had a close friend quit her job from there in the last 2 months was there for just over two years....

FYI - usually when you enter banking you sorta give up a some of your social life... im still in the banking sector and love it.. but im in HR so i still get my weekends.. as for week days well im in at 8am and out @ six ..... few calls here and there at night, but thats all part of the job and it gets reflected in your bonus.. so hey why not!!

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
mserica said:
I hear you on the Mac Bank issue, i work for a European investment bank and trust me, in the market mac bank has a pretty demanding name attached to it, long hours, bonus' arent that great but all in all if u survive mac bank you can survive almost anything....

Had a close friend quit her job from there in the last 2 months was there for just over two years....

FYI - usually when you enter banking you sorta give up a some of your social life... im still in the banking sector and love it.. but im in HR so i still get my weekends.. as for week days well im in at 8am and out @ six ..... few calls here and there at night, but thats all part of the job and it gets reflected in your bonus.. so hey why not!!
Macquarie Group is nowhere in the leagues of UBS and Goldman Sachs internationally, however in Australia their operations are significant. I've heard otherwise in regards to bonuses, they pay basic base and focus heavily on performance related bonuses, hence the long hours and commitment.

My bonus potential in an entry level position is b/w 30 and 50%. The MacCap (IB) guys get way more. Hitting the bonus is another matter.

Your hours are equally as long. Shows that it doesn't matter what division your in, you're in for the long haul. Personally, I didn't like the recruiters at Mac. The HR at accounting firms are much more approachable and they actually care.

I've talked about work so much it kinda indicates that there's not much else going on for me lately...

Last edited:

Monstar

HSC
^^have to agree with the concepts behind all your posts...

This is my first semester of trying hard, ie making weekly notes doing weekly readings, going over tute work..and all i can say is its nearly impossible to go out and shitfaced.. cause you will lose a whole day (sunday) which is kinda imperative for me because of my timetable structure...

I'm just glad im not you and juggling full time uni with full time work :p

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
I got a wii and wii fit too!! :) It's awsome but i find its still not a replacement for the gym.. so i dont use it that much unfortunately,

It's ok though, gets ur heart rate up and its better than doing nothing and tennis is quite fun and i like doing the island lap jogging thing haha
I'm in my last semester too! Whoo! :)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
clairegirl said:
I got a wii and wii fit too!! :) It's awsome but i find its still not a replacement for the gym.. so i dont use it that much unfortunately,

It's ok though, gets ur heart rate up and its better than doing nothing and tennis is quite fun and i like doing the island lap jogging thing haha
I'm in my last semester too! Whoo! :)
tennis? what version do you have? :/ (your not talking about wii sport are you, that has tennis?)

I love the island lap jogging too and the boxing...

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Tennis is awesome (I think Anne is talking about wii sport?) And I just unlocked the island lap the other day - and got a stitch! But I powered through and it was very exciting crossing the finish line. But my favourite has to be hula hoop. Its awesome... closely followed by the zen one. Steve is awesome at the ski jump. Amazing stuff watching him work that wii board!

I can't do the boxing one.. I'm like a retard and always hurt my arm! I think I punch out too far. The British trainer dude is never happy with my performance. Thats why I stick to the hula where I'm loved :D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Damn I should get this Wii Fit stuff, this sounds fun rofl

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
Has it been proven that Wii Fit is a legitimately effective form of excercise? Sounds awesome, coz it's hard to have fun at a gym

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)