• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Whats going on with MUSC and legal action i keep hearing about? (2 Viewers)

Phanatic

HSC
AsyLum said:
I still insist flying bricks towards his face would be a cost effective strategy.
*Sigh* There are certain disadvantages to trying to be the good guy. A general frowning on the ol' brick-in-the-face gag is one of them. :(

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Phanatic said:
*Sigh* There are certain disadvantages to trying to be the good guy. A general frowning on the ol' brick-in-the-face gag is one of them. :(
*sigh*

Well im out of ideas :p

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
AsyLum said:
:) wasnt me hehe
lol yeah wtf, how did your name get there??

Phanatic said:
That was very possibly my friend Chloe. She's been campaigning lots for me. If it was someone else though, that's even better!
no it wasn't her. i know the girl. so people are reading your site.

realising that ma gets a lot of votes because of his background makes me want to vote to even things out a bit.

if ma gets in how is that going to be different from if your people get in? we don't hear much about musc.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I think the reason we dont hear much, is due to the fact that they dont want us as members :p

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
Sure, except I don't think the Queer Space, who are strong supporters of John and I (John is on the exec there) would appreciate that. I wouldn't want to tar the queer community like that! ;)
Too late, I tarnished it years ago:)
So I take, then, that it's worthwhile to look into queer space (ie, there are real people there?) [sorry to hijack thread]

Phanatic

HSC
iambored said:
lol yeah wtf, how did your name get there??
Sorry, my bad. When you quote multiple threads you have to cut and paste it all yourself.

iambored said:
if ma gets in how is that going to be different from if your people get in? we don't hear much about musc.
Wow. How can I explain this.

Ok.

Basically, Victor and friends have held all offices for the past two years. That's SAM, MUSC, University Council and one of two positions on Academic Senate. In that time they've done nothing for students. I mean jack fucking all. Absolutely nada. You have no idea how angry I get thinking about what they've done. I'm literally shaking a bit as I type this, trying to get the words out.

What Victor and his gang does is they make all sorts of promises, campaign amongst their members, get into office and then sit there doing absolutely fuck all for the people that got them there, then wait another year and do it all again. They keep the status quo. They keep student representation silenced, and they're always looking out for their own self interest. "What looks good on my resume?" "What can I do to move up the political ladder."

This pisses me off. So unbelievably goddamn much.

I am an activist. I see something wrong, I want to fix it. I look at Macquarie and I see so much wrong. Everything at Mac is just so messed up. I look around and I see 28,000 students who don't seem to give a shit about anything. Apathy reigns supreme. The University becomes increasingly corporate, increasingly about making a profit and the bottom line. It's reflected everywhere. Everything seems to lead towards one thing - turning Macquarie into a degree mill, where you turn up, get your vocational qualification, leave straight into the workforce and never learn anything more than how to get a job. It sickens me.

I start talking to people, and find I'm not the only one. People don't like the fact that they're being used by people like Victor Ma. They don't like the fact that services are being cut, or that their HECS is being raised. They want to do something about it, but everyone thinks everyone else doesn't care. That's not true. What's missing is that catalyst, the people that will get the ball rolling. I see myself as one of those people. What we want is a complete turnaround on campus. We want those fat old bloated organisations that are so used to getting away with all their crap to be completely gutted and re-orientated to serving student needs. We want the students getting involved again. Our dream is for a campus where if someone tries to usurp power or rig elections, then 28,000 people kick up a stink, rather than 10 people trying to spread the word to everyone else.

Gah, feeling ranty!

Basically, if John and I got elected, things would be very different. You would DEFINATELY know you had an Academic Senate and University Council representative. You'd know what they did for you. You'd know when things were going wrong. You'd be recognised as the reason this University, and all these organisations existed. We want to drag the University kicking and screaming back into the hands of students. And we can't do that unless you (not directed at iambored, but at every student at Mac), and everyone you know on campus, stops wiping their hands of this mess and starts getting involved. When you say "I'm not going to vote, I don't know what this is about" you're selling yourself short, and allowing people like Victor to get away with it.

/rant

Cheers,
Phil

Phanatic

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Too late, I tarnished it years ago:)
So I take, then, that it's worthwhile to look into queer space (ie, there are real people there?) [sorry to hijack thread]
Yeah, it's a great service, and there's lots of really enthusiastic people there that are welcoming. I've got a lot of friends in the Queer Space, so I know a little bit about it. Apparantly I'm an honorary queer. :)

Of course, like any group of people, there'll be personality clashes and all range of opinions. But I guess that's what makes life interesting. I do recommend you check it out if you're interested.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

You're leaving at the end of the year, though.

/edit. Hmm, do I just rock up, or what?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ill also be handing out free bricks to throw at Victor and his gang soon.

Phanatic

HSC
PwarYuex said:
You're leaving at the end of the year, though.

/edit. Hmm, do I just rock up, or what?
Well, to be honest, what I do at the end of the year will be largely determined by how this year goes. If we can get things in motion, get people talking and start the long process of restructuring after VSU, then I might stick around for a double degree. However, if after all our efforts the same people get back into office and nothing changes, then I might burn out and give up. I really hope that never happens though. We'll see I guess. I really am committed to saving the world if I can. :rolleyes:

And yes, just turn up and say "Hi." :)

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
Well, to be honest, what I do at the end of the year will be largely determined by how this year goes. If we can get things in motion, get people talking and start the long process of restructuring after VSU, then I might stick around for a double degree. However, if after all our efforts the same people get back into office and nothing changes, then I might burn out and give up. I really hope that never happens though. We'll see I guess. I really am committed to saving the world if I can. :rolleyes:

And yes, just turn up and say "Hi." :)
Howcome I've never seen you running around the uni yelling at people? It's lame, but it's the best method.

Phanatic

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Howcome I've never seen you running around the uni yelling at people? It's lame, but it's the best method.
I have been. I've walked around tables at lunch on Monday, Tuesday and today, just talking to strangers and trying to get them motivated to vote. I spoke in the MAS 104 lecture on Tuesday, encouraging people to vote and take an interest.

I've been thinking a lot about how to get people involved. I don't believe yelling at people and drawing loud attention to the problems helps much. Good for raising awareness, bad for engaging people. People basically want to know what's in it for them, and so I try to work with that. Telling people they should care doesn't achieve anything. Telling people WHY they should care, and making it appropriate to their wants and needs - that's how to get things happening.

If people want to know what's in it for them, show them what's in it for them. If people want to know what's right, show them why it's right.

In terms of this whole excercise - I've only been at this for 6 months. While it may not look like we've achieved all that much, it's actually quite remarkable how far we've come.

Cheers,
Phil

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Putting that media degree to good use *nods*

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Phanatic said:
Wow. How can I explain this.
/rant

Cheers,
Phil
so dude, how do i vote your people ;)

just a 1 next to u and john, any preferences for 2 and 3? edit: too late

i'm prepared to take the risk. the fact that i haven't heard anything about and don't know anything about musc could be because of ma and his people. i'm trusting you that it's not going to get worse. and in the end if it does, well it's just another year.

edit: you also might want to know that if it's you who has been going into lectures but not giving people solid things you want to achieve if voted in, that is a problem. someone was talking to me about it. could have been one of the other candidates though.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

I'm going to have to say, Phil, that I'm realy disliking all the emails I'm recieving. You people are starting to look like those who protest for the sake of protesting- where here, we're queer, get used to it, kinda crap:

:: Sorry for cross postings :: Please spread far and wide ::

From August 30 to September 1 the Sydney Opera House is hosting the Forbes
conference: a meeting of CEO's of many of the world's most influential
corporations. This is a chance to show our opposition to corporate power
and the
corporate world-view; to war profiteers; and to the environmental
destruction
and labour abuses that are the hidden consequences of the of the
pathalogial
pursuit of profit.

In the lead up to Forbes we want to talk about what we've learned from
previous
protests where people have tried to organise autonomously. From S11
Melbourne to
Woomera to to WTO protests in Sydney and Cancun. What happened? What
worked?
What can be changed? What can we do now to create protests that are
powerful and
diverse - actions in which we can participate in our own lives instead of
passively watching?

---Sorry, but that's really silly. You're clearly just looking for things to protest: 180 was supposed to be about Macq, not protesting about Corporations taking over the world. This kinda shit's been sent out to the mu_queers group, as well, and it's like did I join this because I'm gay or because I want to hear about the latest anti-capitalist protest?

Phanatic

HSC
Hmmm, there are a few non-Mac threads that creep through, but I would definately stop short of saying 'all the threads', or even 'the majority of threads' are irrelevant.

I can't really defend what other people post to the group, but I can sympathise with them. While I don't feel it's necessary to forward non-Mac issues over the group, I strongly believe that some issues, like the links regarding the education sector, are appropriate. Because 180 is a progressive group on campus, lots of its members tend to be part of other social justice groups like Amnesty or Mac Peace and Justice, and are sympathetic to the causes. I believe the word most would use is 'solidarity'. :)

However, I do agree with you. 180 Degrees IS about Mac, and will remain the focus. I really encourage you to speak up, reply to the emails and say that you think it's more appropriate to focus on Mac specific issues. At the very least it should raise some interesting debate! ;)

I would disagree that people are protesting for protesting's sake. I think there are people on the list who feel very strongly about the issues, and see direct links between the deregulation of business and the increase in privatisation on campus', for example. That's not to say everyone does or should care.

As I repeat over and over again, 180 is only as good as the member contribution. I always encourage people to speak up, to come up with new ideas and things that 180 can do, but there's usually no response.

I'm really interested to know, as a new member, how you feel about what 180's done so far, or the direction it's heading with the mission statement. Do you feel there's enough opportunity to become more involved? Have you seen the changes we've made to the website? www.oneeightydegrees.org

I think your criticisms are fair and grounded, but then again not everyone on that list will agree. I personally don't think people cross-posting other messages is that big a deal, but that's just me. If you feel strongly about it though, say speak up.

On a final note, I hope you can make it to the meeting tomorrow night (Tuesday). It's from 6pm - 8pm at the SAM Bar (bloody Buildings and Grounds won't give us a room!) It would be great to have some fresh input. This invitation is open to everyone of course - anyone interested in fixing Macquarie University and rebuilding the divided community is encouraged to come along! If you can't make the whole meeting that's fine - come for an hour, or how ever long you can.

Cheers,
Phil

X

xeuyrawp

While that's true about me should saying something (which I just sent out), it's a really bad reflection on your people. Likewise to mu_queers, where some guy keeps circulating junk and advertisements for a flat mate.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Too much too late.

Voting papers were given out a long time ago and it isnt til the actual decision making day that everyone scrambles to get the message across "Vote Now" "Politics is Cool". If we havent voted by now its very unlikely that we will vote at all. I mean can we still vote without election papers? How? Where? TOO LATE.

My 5cents.

Phanatic

HSC
As I understand it those posters refer to the MUSC elections rather than the University Council and Academic Senate, whose ballots actually closed yesterday.

The MUSC elections are probably going to happen early semester 2, so we've been trying to get people going to the website, aware and talking about the issues now, so that there's a good response to MUSC campaigning. Besides, one of our main goals is to raise the awareness of student issues on campus at all times, not to simply make a lot of noise around elections and then be silent once we're voted in.

Cheers,
Phil

X

xeuyrawp

markmooks said:
I eat upstairs anyway... more cozy and the food is better/cheaper. I luv my lamb and three veg :)
Agreed, the lamb up there's really nice!

The place that makes smoothies can't make proper Green Milk tea, though, it's too watery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)