• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Whats going on with MUSC and legal action i keep hearing about? (5 Viewers)

Phanatic

HSC
The general food prices have gone up. The burger, chips and drink combo has gone up from $7 to $7.50. A pre-packaged sandwich which used to cost $2.80 now costs somewhere in the $3 range, I think $3.50. Seems a bit of a joke I must say.

I used to love the sandwich bar, it was the cheapest and best food outlet at SAM. I can understand the DIY option being removed for health reasons, but what can't be justified is the new 'pay by contents' price, rather than the 'pay by weight' that it was. You can have people putting the food on for you and still pay by weight (although it would have to be a higher price to pay for the labour). However, it costs something ridiculous to get a bun with only three toppings now. It's such a ripoff.

Upstairs is much better than downstairs, but I wonder how long that will last.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Yes the burger bar prices went up. $2.50 for member's hot chips and $3 for non-members? Chips are $2 everywhere, why do they make them expensive in the 'cheap' uni food area?

X

xeuyrawp

I didn't even notice the food price-uppage... I never eat there any more, there are much cheaper alternatives, and since I'm cutting down on work shifts, every penny's pocketed.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i eat there very rarely and this week happened to be one of those times

has anyone tried to log into their uni e-mail tonight? i don't have an option to "launch mail"

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
[07:38] <StudyLum> Bad Gateway
[07:38] <StudyLum> Processing of this request was delegated to a server that is not functioning properly.
[07:38] <StudyLum> good work mq

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
at least it's them and not me, i don't have to try to find a problem with this computer

of course though i decide i want to send 3 e-mails right now, most probably because it's down i think i have to send them *now* when the e-mails have been sitting there for a week :p

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Has anyone read "passing show" this semester? Its around campus today. I picked one up, my god, read the page on how 'rotten' MQ is regarding Victor Ma etc: they are so corrupt! I didnt even realise. Its an eye-opening article, which made me want VSU even more (but I dont really know whether this was the aim of the author...)

But read it, its just... I'm angry! :mad:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
MaryJane said:
Has anyone read "passing show" this semester? Its around campus today. I picked one up, my god, read the page on how 'rotten' MQ is regarding Victor Ma etc: they are so corrupt! I didnt even realise. Its an eye-opening article, which made me want VSU even more (but I dont really know whether this was the aim of the author...)

I read pigs could fly. Now I believe.

As for food prices:

$6.50 for a large box of crap
$5.50 for 1/4 of that crap.

And yes upstairs is better.

doe

HSC
N/A
if you want a price reaming go to mac centre. they know all the office workers have no choice but to get thier lunch from there. i paid $5.50 for a chicken sandwich (admittedly it was bigger than normal), i can get 2 for $6.00 in the heart of the cbd

eat more chicken dammit.

Phanatic

HSC
MaryJane said:

Yeah I read it. Wrote it too. Good to see people still read Passing Show. :)

The aim was not to get people pro-VSU. I'm fundamentally anti-VSU myself. HOWEVER - I fully respect people's decisions to support VSU at Macquarie, because quite frankly, we are being completely ripped off.

The way I see it, a fully functioning Students' Council (MUSC) and Students' Union (SAM) are invaluable services that enrich the University experience and ensure the campus is more than a simple degree mill. The problem is, these organisations have never been accountable, and the executives get paid faaaaaaaaar too much money. As President of SAM, Victor Ma gets paid $25,000 a year, and as Chair of MUSC, he gets I think $22,000 a year. $47,000 is a pretty sweet deal when you're not held accountable. What happens is that you get people who are politically and financially self-serving running for these positions, rather than people who genuinely care about students and student welfare. This happens because the greater mass of students on campus don't give a shit, and will vote for the first person that hassles them enough and yells "More parking!"

I think VSU is pretty much a foregone conclusion. SAM operates under this assumption. However, while other service providers on other campus' are fighting VSU and demonstrating to their student members just how vital their services are to the campus, in the hope that when VSU is introduced people will voluntarilly sign up next year, it seems to me that SAM has taken the other option. Instead of appealing to members and emphasising how vital they are to Uni life, SAM is assuming that no-one will want to sign up, and seems to be working for the bottom line - staying financially viable without members. I think this is the wrong approach entirely, and am extremely disappointed with the direction SAM is heading in.

As for MUSC. Well. Where to start! Probably www.oneeightydegrees.org ;)

I think a functioning students' council is essential for safeguarding student rights. It's the only independant body on campus that will stand up and defend your rights against the University administration. It's hard to be convincing when there's nothing in the immediate past to point to and say 'look what they've done for us', but consider some possibilities on the horizon:

* Who will defend your rights if the University decides to bump up HECS fees in 2007 by 25%?
* Who's to limit the number of full fee paying students on campus? There was an article in the SMH on the weekend about how this affects the University: ahttp://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Campus-critical/2005/05/06/1115092690378.html - Read the sub-heading 'The Language Problem'
* Who do you turn to when your lectures and tutes are overcrowded? The University presumably won't care - they overbooked them in the first place.

These are just a handful of situations where a functioning students' council is vital.

But is it worth over $100 a semester? Nah. Not yet anyway. But there IS something we can do.

When the elections come for SAM and MUSC, actually vote while you still can! Get these people that have taken your money out of there! It won't cost you anything to vote - it's the 'I don't care, it won't affect me' attitude that's led us to the current state of our organisations. I will be running in the elections for sure! What this campus needs is for people to fundamentally redress the role of SAM and MUSC on campus, and come up with a model that is relevant to as many students as possible at Macquarie. With the option of reduced subscription fees, worthwhile services and full accountability, VSU could be rather beneficial for Macquarie. On the other hand, if things go the way they are, MUSC will inevitably fold as soon as the money runs out, and SAM will simply be a line of full priced retail outlets (it doesn't seem far from that now).

As for the whole VSU argument about student organisations being the domain of radical left-wing ferals that don't speak for the majority of students, Victor Ma, like Brendan Nelson and John Howard, is a member of the Liberal Party. Makes you think.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Passing Show is still out? I haven't seen a single copy this semester.

^___^
HSC
yeah, passing show is still going
though compare to last yr's, i think its pretty..."crap"

well, maybe they are trying to write something serious, and i took it like it was humorous writings..

Phanatic

HSC
I'm glad you liked it last year. I was a co-editor.

The guys this year have taken a very different approach than we did. It's not the prettiest looking magazine, but then I never took credit for the look of the thing, that was Leisa. :) They've printed two issues so far, which I suspect have had a reduced print run. You can't find them in most of the red SAM boxes. I think the only place to get them is at the bar and at the stairs leading up to the bar next to the Entertainment offices.

If you can't find the latest one though, the article in question can be found at: http://www.oneeightydegrees.org/musc/somethingisrotten.htm

Cheers,
Phil

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i got passing show today from the red box outside the library. it seems to have less humour and more substance than last year, which is not bad.

when do the results of the last election come out?

Phanatic

HSC
The results came in on Friday. I've been elected! Myself and Fiona Chan are the two Senators. John got elected to University Council over Victor, so this should change things a bit! We're not really 'dissident students' if we've won a majority vote!

Thanks to everyone here that voted, and who encouraged others to vote. This won't be the last you'll here about Senate and Council, I can guarantee that.

Cheers,
Phil

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Phanatic said:
The results came in on Friday. I've been elected! Myself and Fiona Chan are the two Senators. John got elected to University Council over Victor, so this should change things a bit! We're not really 'dissident students' if we've won a majority vote!

Thanks to everyone here that voted, and who encouraged others to vote. This won't be the last you'll here about Senate and Council, I can guarantee that.

Cheers,
Phil
*will be accepting the $$$ in his bank account* :p

Congrats dude

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Phanatic said:

Cheers,
Phil
awesome job guys!! all the campaigning paid off!!

how does victor feel about this?

edit: i'm excited, i thought the results would be the same as every other year, i'm also happy to know i contributed

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)