• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Whats going on with MUSC and legal action i keep hearing about? (1 Viewer)

Phanatic

HSC
bscienceboi said:
It seems to me though that John.B, Victor.M, the candidates from 180 and yourself have some background in politics and or law. There is quite a bit of extensive information about breaches and violations of code so-and-so on your website.
That's pretty much John's doing.

I myself am doing Honours in Media (Visual Production). I actually only got 'political' about 6 months ago. I used to not give a shit about politics at all, or what the student organisations were doing. If you ever read Passing Show last year - that was me. I was co-editor of that, and we didn't really care. Then I started to get an insiders look at SAM while I worked for them, and I was invited to go to a MUSC meeting where the Women's Department and Sexuality Collective were appealing the Ordinance changes that MUSC made without consultation earlier that year. Step by step I began to see how seriously messed up things were, and I couldn't help getting involved.

John does Arts in Politics, which I think Victor does as well (part time). I have no idea how he knows all the formatting and such, it always weirds me out! I'm not sure what Tim Hendry does. As for the rest - 180 is a non-factional group, an umbrella organisation that brings together people from all over the campus. We basically share the progressive belief that student organisations on campus are being abused. We want a serious change in culture on campus, to get people interested and actively participating in their education, which goes beyond the classroom.

Cheers,
Phil

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
As for the rest - 180 is a non-factional group, an umbrella organisation that brings together people from all over the campus. We basically share the progressive belief that student organisations on campus are being abused. We want a serious change in culture on campus, to get people interested and actively participating in their education, which goes beyond the classroom.
Essentially, you are a political faction that disagree with the current governing body/s of the uni. I mean, you're running for the council, you want to change policy, you have a collective NAME! you've still got my vote, though:p

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
I'm starting to understand things more clearly now.

Did you do Philosophy - Aesthetics as a prerequisite for your Media course?
Just wandering whether it was an interesting topic. Yeah I read your stuff in Passing Show too. Good stuff. Wanted to do some photography for it too.

Phanatic

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Essentially, you are a political faction that disagree with the current governing body/s of the uni. I mean, you're running for the council, you want to change policy, you have a collective NAME! you've still got my vote, though:p
I disagree. We're political for sure - everyone's political, whether they admit it or not. When I say 'political faction', I mean it in the traditional sense - Labour Left (NOLS), Labour Right (Unity), Greens etc. Though some members are from those factions (I'm not), we're not assosciated with any of them specifically.

bscienceboi said:
Did you do Philosophy - Aesthetics as a prerequisite for your Media course? Just wandering whether it was an interesting topic.
No, though I always wanted to do it. Some friends of mine have recommended it. I've done Phil 131 (Mind, Meaning, Metaphysics), Phil 137 (Critcal Thinking), Phil 232 (Philosophy of Science) & Phil 254 (Freedom and Alienation.)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PHIL!!!!!!!

Its Mike from mentoring btw haha.

My thread must've caught your attention aye :p

X

xeuyrawp

Phanatic said:
I disagree. We're political for sure - everyone's political, whether they admit it or not. When I say 'political faction', I mean it in the traditional sense - Labour Left (NOLS), Labour Right (Unity), Greens etc. Though some members are from those factions (I'm not), we're not assosciated with any of them specifically.
ah, ok. Fair enough:)

Phanatic

HSC
Oh hey Mike,

I've been meaning to send an email to the mentors for the past 6 weeks, but then keep losing and finding that list of emails. I know, I know, shocking excuse. I think it was your post that drew me to this site - kind of like a homing beacon. :p

Cheers,
Phil

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha nice speech in MAS104 btw, i expected more fireworks though, something along the lines of "VICTOR MA IS THE ANTICHRIST!!!"

Phanatic

HSC
It was tempting. Extremely tempting. But I thought, as people have said, if I get up there and say "Don't vote for this guy, he doesn't care about you, vote for me!" then people have no reason to believe me.

I'd like to think that if people decided they were going to give it another look, they'd read my statement, see that I've put contact details and further information, realise that I spoke to them without trying to whore myself off, and decide I was the best candidate. Naive eh?

^___^
HSC
well, its about strategy

if victor ma can persuade so many asians to vote for him(which is true for many obscure reasons i heard), you can try look at tackling that, so u r cutting down his votes as well as getting votes
but having said that, its hard cos he is asian and no offence you are not? so u need to be careful of how u sell yourself to them and make sure they see victor ma's weakness (ie how he used them)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Well i think the majority of students a) wont care b) will laugh at his statement.

(victor that is)

X

xeuyrawp

Cyan_phoeniX said:
asians voting asians because they are asians is gay.

Why don't you get heaps of people to distribute that flyer which informs people about what sort of person he is? Or write down the url on the concrete in chalk. people who are going to be bothered voting will probably be bothered to listen about that
Start a rumour that he's gay.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i heard a girl the other day saying stuff about how victor ma's statement was unrealistic... i'm thinking she visited your site phanatic, she was using the same arguments :p

so is the idea of the no statement people to take up space that candidates from the opposition could be sitting in?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
asians voting asians because they are asians is gay.

Why don't you get heaps of people to distribute that flyer which informs people about what sort of person he is? Or write down the url on the concrete in chalk. people who are going to be bothered voting will probably be bothered to listen about that
I always found flying bricks were an excellent alternative.

Phanatic

HSC
... said:
if victor ma can persuade so many asians to vote for him(which is true for many obscure reasons i heard), you can try look at tackling that, so u r cutting down his votes as well as getting votes
but having said that, its hard cos he is asian and no offence you are not? so u need to be careful of how u sell yourself to them and make sure they see victor ma's weakness (ie how he used them)
No, unfortunately I'm a heterosexual white middle class male, so I'm not systemically disadvantaged at all! Yes, there are various rumours circulating about how Victor gets his votes.

Unfortunately, this is the situation: you've just come out to Australia, you only have a rudimentary understanding of English and know no-one here outside your community. You're in a foreign land with foreign people and a totally different culture. Someone comes round to your door, speaking in your native tongue, says he understands what it's like for you, and is here to represent your needs specifically. You'd be crazy not to vote for that person, cause you certainly would have no reason to doubt him.

Victor has such a strong powerbase because he plays the race card. And he has an unbelievable advantage because he campaigns in another language. It's virtually impossible to draw away from his powerbase in the way we're currently doing it. We need people who can speak Mandarin and Cantonese, who are willing to go around to students and simply talk to them.

I don't blame the Chinese students at all. I personally think they're being taken advantage of, and that's disgusting. I'd really like to try and breach the 'us' and 'them' mentality that exists on campus - I think it's really unhealthy, and has led to situations like this arising.

PwarYuex said:
when are the results?
Ballots close 11th May. It's ridiculous really, 6 weeks for a postal ballot. If you haven't voted in the first fortnight, you're not going to vote. Results will probably be known on the 12th. Win or lose you'll be hearing from me.

AsyLum said:
Well i think the majority of students a) wont care b) will laugh at his statement.

(victor that is)
Quite true. HOWEVER, that's entirely irrelevant unless the majority of students vote. See, the issue isn't what people think of Victor, it's what the people that VOTE think of Victor. If there are only 1,000 people that vote from a 30,000 student campus, and the majority of those are people from the Chinese Students' Society, then the fact that everyone else thinks Victor's a tool doesn't mean anything. Unfortunately. That's why it's so important that the voting turnout is huge.

Cyan_phoeniX said:
The chalking will come next week, count on that! As for a flyer - there's a few issues. 1. Photocopying in large quantaties costs money. 2. People tend not to read flyers unless they're bored, so it's kind of an ineffectual method. 3. We need to get past the people that can be bothered voting and speak to the people that CAN'T be bothered. They make up the majority, and that's where the election will be won. That's why people have to encourage their friends and pass it on. We need to break out of our circles and reach everyone else.

PwarYuex said:
Start a rumour that he's gay.
Sure, except I don't think the Queer Space, who are strong supporters of John and I (John is on the exec there) would appreciate that. I wouldn't want to tar the queer community like that! ;)

AsyLum said:
i heard a girl the other day saying stuff about how victor ma's statement was unrealistic... i'm thinking she visited your site phanatic, she was using the same arguments

so is the idea of the no statement people to take up space that candidates from the opposition could be sitting in?
That was very possibly my friend Chloe. She's been campaigning lots for me. If it was someone else though, that's even better!

The people with no statements aren't taking up anyone's spots, but I think the idea is that if you're a student who sees all these names and faces, you'll be overwhelemed by it all and just not bother. 'Let the politicians play politics on their own' sort of thing.

Cheers,
Phil

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iambored said:
i heard a girl the other day saying stuff about how victor ma's statement was unrealistic... i'm thinking she visited your site phanatic, she was using the same arguments :p

:) wasnt me hehe

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
[1] I've seen Tim Hendry's flyers posted up, that would of cost quite a bit seeing that the whole sheet is in black with the exception of the actual text.

[2] Target the Asian groups, offer them discount instant noodles or something.

[3] Get a translator to organise flyers in a different language?

[4] I know that B.A.R.F @ MQ send out emails to their members, maybe you can organise something with other Associations to email out the 180 website. Queer Space have member emails don't they? And what about the women's association?

[5] Victor Ma smells...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I still insist flying bricks towards his face would be a cost effective strategy.

Phanatic

HSC
bscienceboi said:
[1] I've seen Tim Hendry's flyers posted up, that would of cost quite a bit seeing that the whole sheet is in black with the exception of the actual text.

[2] Target the Asian groups, offer them discount instant noodles or something.

[3] Get a translator to organise flyers in a different language?

[4] I know that B.A.R.F @ MQ send out emails to their members, maybe you can organise something with other Associations to email out the 180 website. Queer Space have member emails don't they? And what about the women's association?

[5] Victor Ma smells...

1. Nah, just straight up photocopying. There's a difference between a couple of posters and several hundred flyers. But it's not something we're ruling out. Victor's flyers on the other hand, double sided A5 colour - they'd cost hundreds.

2. Hehe. I'd prefer not to stoop to that level. :)

3. That's something we're working on.

4. We've sent things out to about a dozen different groups on campus.

5. I can neither confirm or deny that rumour...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)