What's studying engineering like? (1 Viewer)

nyawne

HSC
N/A
I'm planning on going into engineering and would like to know some more about it (detail would be much appreciated, thank you). What's studying engineering like? (i.e. what are the subjects like - does study take up a lot of time - what are contact hours like - how difficult is it in comparison to high school?)

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
I'm planning on going into engineering and would like to know some more about it (detail would be much appreciated, thank you). What's studying engineering like? (i.e. what are the subjects like - does study take up a lot of time - what are contact hours like - how difficult is it in comparison to high school?)
in first year you do your introductory physics and math subjects along with computing and engineering design ones plus electives (basing this off unsw)
after first you go into your more specific courses that are based on your stream on engineering

maths in somewhat of a continuation with the stuff you did in highschool and there is new stuff like linear algebra
physics is somewhat like 4u mechanics but with new stuff as well
computing gets you introduced into coding and what not
engineering design is based on group project you do throughout the sem

you do need to spend a fair bit on studying but if you do go to your lectures and tutes it makes the work you do outside of them a lot easier

contact hours for engineering would range from like 20-25hrs a week

difficulty does increase but it does also become more enjoyable

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Get ready for a lot of maths. Contact hours are usually between 20-25 hours. Study can take some time, but this does depend on the individual. All the subjects I've done so far have been pretty interesting, and it seems to only get more interesting.

Confound

HSC
just study 24/7 with no distraction and you'll be fine, trust me

D94

HSC
N/A
You just do it, there's not much to think about. Most subjects are maths based so your maths ability and how quick you can understand concepts dictates much of how one perceives difficulty. Doesn't take that much time to do questions. If you like it, you won't feel like it's a chore. If you dislike it, then the struggle is real.

I think most students study like this: gets a question they don't know how to do, finds a worked solution/textbook example, 'learns' how to do it, then applies it to the next question.

You might have the odd lab or practical based subject. I guess I've talked it down, but as with all other academic aspects of uni, the passion and drive is in the content you learn and it does make a difference in how you perceive studying.

What field/stream/discipline are you considering?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
What I hear from people is that in engineering you will forget the idea about sleep, but also there is lots of math involved(which I am scared off but I got a E4 in Maths Ext.1, so I think I will manage) . From your gender, you are chick. So good luck from the gawkers when you first enter lectures/tutorials.

But in the end you will graduate as an engineer and how I see it that engineers are the most reputable problem solvers on the planet of the earth.So it would be worth it :D

Last edited:

nyawne

HSC
N/A
thank you all for the responses so far ^^
i haven't figured out the quoting system yet so...
@parvee + @annundies 20-25 hours seems like a lot (i'm not sure though because i've no experience) is there a lot of study to do at home on top of that? i wonder if it's possible to balance a part time job :s
@D94 i did engineering for hsc and enjoyed that a lot - i'm not sure how relevant that is ahahs. i'm thinking about going into civil engineering
@zohair97 people keep saying that there is a lot of math involved but they dont say how much - for hsc i was doing about 10 hours/wk of math for school and tutor (and then about an hour or two per day for study) - is it a lot more than that?
oh, and if you do a double degree - is that twice the amount of work and contact hours (sorry i have no idea)

BlugyBlug

HSC
thank you all for the responses so far ^^
i haven't figured out the quoting system yet so...
@parvee + @annundies 20-25 hours seems like a lot (i'm not sure though because i've no experience) is there a lot of study to do at home on top of that? i wonder if it's possible to balance a part time job :s
@D94 i did engineering for hsc and enjoyed that a lot - i'm not sure how relevant that is ahahs. i'm thinking about going into civil engineering
@zohair97 people keep saying that there is a lot of math involved but they dont say how much - for hsc i was doing about 10 hours/wk of math for school and tutor (and then about an hour or two per day for study) - is it a lot more than that?
oh, and if you do a double degree - is that twice the amount of work and contact hours (sorry i have no idea)
1. I'd say 18-24 hours per week is about average. It's manageable, and yes you can balance a part time job as long as it's not too much (mileage may vary)
2. HSC Engineering will help you a lot for your first Civil eng Mechanics course in Yr1 Sem2. But remember that's only 1 course out of the 8 you do per year.
3. If you did Ext2 Maths you will be more than fine. The hours you said should be sufficient even if you didn't do 4u.
4. I'm doing a double degree, the amount of work/contact hours is no different from any other student. Everyone does 4 courses per semester, period. People with double degrees simply stay in uni for 1 or 2 years longer. Their day-to-day workload is the same.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
20-25 hours is basically your school hours. You've been doing it for 13 years, so it'll be fine.

For double degrees, you do the same number of CP per semester. Its just that you lose the options of engineering electives towards the end of the degree (as they will go toward the other degree) and usually study gets lengthened by a year (to fit more CP in). I'm going to use my degree as an example. I do Engg/Comm, and as a result, since there'll be commerce subs mixed in with my Engg subs (Comm have fewer contact hours), contact hours per semester is actually lower than contact hours per semester for a straight Engg student because the commerce subjects average out with the Engg subjects.

If that para was too confusing, I guess the tl;dr is that combined Engg will have fewer contact hours than straight Engg.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
It's quite manageable to work part-time and have extra-curriculars and be a full-time engineering student coping alright. Study on top of contact hours is probably something between 10 to 20 hours per week if you want to get great-ish marks.

In terms of how combined programs work, your contact hours would be relatively the same as you do the standard full time load compared to other full time, single program students (depends on what you combine as different courses have difference contact hours per week). However you will end up doing an extra year or two at the end and you most likely will have one degree dominating over the other in terms of requirements being fulfilled in the combined program.

integral95

HSC
You just do it, there's not much to think about. Most subjects are maths based so your maths ability and how quick you can understand concepts dictates much of how one perceives difficulty. Doesn't take that much time to do questions. If you like it, you won't feel like it's a chore. If you dislike it, then the struggle is real.

I think most students study like this: gets a question they don't know how to do, finds a worked solution/textbook example, 'learns' how to do it, then applies it to the next question.

You might have the odd lab or practical based subject. I guess I've talked it down, but as with all other academic aspects of uni, the passion and drive is in the content you learn and it does make a difference in how you perceive studying.

What field/stream/discipline are you considering?
IT'S ALWAYS REALLL

But yeah OP many student I know skip half of their lectures and just cram the content,thus they're force to rote learn the content since understanding it takes more time.

So to do well (like D or HD) then you'd need to attend most of the lectures(and also the lecturer needs to be engaging), and put in reasonable hrs of self work.

With good time management, you can have a lot of time to sleep and good grades (if you have the passion, you won't waste a lot of time procrastinating, which is the cause of messed up sleep pattern IMO)

BlugyBlug

HSC
The biggest reason imo why uni is harder than high school is because of motivation. You wont be grilled if you skip lectures, dont do homework, dont attend tutorials (its really easy just walking in the room, signing the form and walking out so you get 100% attendance rate). Just go to every class and do what your lecturers recommend. Seriously, if you have no idea what to do and aren't motivated or don't have any realistic study goals, do what your lecturers/TA's tell you.

> doesn't even do engineering
> Does mechatronic instead of mechanical/civil/electrical/chemical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)