• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Whats the difference between... (2 Viewers)

pinkispunk66

HSC
Ok I'm not trying to start an argument or anything.
So no one jump down my throat! haha
But everyone I have spoken to says that Wollongong Uni is like one of the best if not the best uni's to do engineering at..
Like in that national competition where students have to design and build a race car, UOW has one it for the last like 5 years and competed at an international level.
That's just what I've heard. And I'm not saying UNSW is bad cos I actually have that as one of my highest preferences :)

Tranasonic

Audiophile
HSC
ok i think UNSW is for me then
I wouldn't decide on not going to a uni because of one assessment in one course is an Essay. You not gonna get the most out of a course because you just sit around doing questions all the time, essays all the time or prac all the time.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
UNSW Fluid Mechanics assessments: Two tests, four laboratories, one final exam.
UTS Fluid Mechanics assessments: More than that plus essay (on blood flow, etc. it's not even a Newtonian fluid) and reports, other bullshit, etc.

UTS Engineering is broken.

I wouldn't decide on not going to a uni because of one assessment in one course is an Essay. You not gonna get the most out of a course because you just sit around doing questions all the time, essays all the time or prac all the time.
At UNSW we don't have to solve for resistive cubes, transient circuits with multiple capacitors and inductors and other ridiculous extension content at introductory level.

and lol:

http://community.boredofstudies.org...-discussion/226305/10-class-exam-problem.html

megaman

HSC
Well I participated in Honeywell engineering summer school, and the stuff at UNSW, UOW and UTS stood out. UTS seems fairly good, but UNSW does have the most in research grants or dollars. You should also consider UOW as I have been told they actually modelled their course on UNSW then improved it....but that would depend on individuals perspective. Personally I would look at time spent at Uni and the average starting salaries for both as they seem to be a decent indicator.

micuzzo

HSC
Well I participated in Honeywell engineering summer school, and the stuff at UNSW, UOW and UTS stood out. UTS seems fairly good, but UNSW does have the most in research grants or dollars. You should also consider UOW as I have been told they actually modelled their course on UNSW then improved it....but that would depend on individuals perspective. Personally I would look at time spent at Uni and the average starting salaries for both as they seem to be a decent indicator.
UOW is too far.

very true...

I havent fully made up my mind and this will depend on my results.. however upon a recent visit to both UNSW and UTS, once again UNSW gave me a very good impression. Im not saying that impression should cause one to decide on a uni to attend however...UTS needs to get some lights.

@Uncle:from what i gather u are doing mech eng at UNSW, how would u say it is? do u have any advice/tips on attending UNSW? and is Mech eng good with only 3U maths?

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
UOW is too far.

very true...

I havent fully made up my mind and this will depend on my results.. however upon a recent visit to both UNSW and UTS, once again UNSW gave me a very good impression. Im not saying that impression should cause one to decide on a uni to attend however...UTS needs to get some lights.

@Uncle:from what i gather u are doing mech eng at UNSW, how would u say it is? do u have any advice/tips on attending UNSW? and is Mech eng good with only 3U maths?
With my dodgy knowledge of Extension 1 mathematics and decent 2 unit Mathematics skills I was still capable of doing first year mathematics and did even better in second year.
I have surpassed many second year engineering mathematics students even though they did well in HSC Extension 2 mathematics.

My mathematical capabilities are much better now than in the HSC.
It could be because the teaching at UNSW is so much better than in school.

micuzzo

HSC
With my dodgy knowledge of Extension 1 mathematics and decent 2 unit Mathematics skills I was still capable of doing first year mathematics and did even better in second year.
I have surpassed many second year engineering mathematics students even though they did well in HSC Extension 2 mathematics.

My mathematical capabilities are much better now than in the HSC.
It could be because the teaching at UNSW is so much better than in school.
wow ok,

thats good to hear. thanks mate.

M@ster P

HSC
right now here is what i think in terms of "Why would I go to this uni?"

uws = med, forensics
macq = business, history
usyd = law, arts
uts = business, not tech
unsw = i cant make a fair judgement, although i wouldnt come here to study history

Wtf? UTS stands for University of Technology Sydney, ofcourse they are going to have technology, Where have you been, under a rock for the rest of your life?

Edir: ignore my post, I've misread your post

Last edited:

M@ster P

HSC
Anyways in relation to the question, I decided to share some emails about engineering that may be of use to you and any1 else.

Originally Posted by M@ster P
Hi,

I've noticed you are doing civil engineering at UNSW. I would like to ask you a few questions, so you can help me choose my preferences.

1. What made you choose UNSW over other unis such as UTS which I am considering?

It doesn't really matter whether you go UTS or UNSW (just don't go to USYD) because they're more or less the same. UTS's 6 months internship is pretty redundant since UNSW has 60 days minimum internship in order to graduate anyways.

I picked UNSW cause of the campus, seems more lively than boring old UTS.
Quote:
2. Im doing 3unit maths and I'm doing average at it, getting marks in the 60% region (CSSA trial), do you think I will be able to cope with first year vivil engineering math at uni?
You should be fine.
Quote:
3. How is the environment, are alot of people snobs, or is the envrionment quite lively?
Overall the engineering environment I must say is probably the most lively out of the Uni. We hold weekly events and we're really into the whole teamwork thing (ENGG1000 for example, if you go UNSW). They push you out of your comfort zone to make connections and contacts + friends, cause realistically - 90% of engineers are socially inept.

You get the odd few dumbshits that chose engineering cause that was the course they could make it in, but they drop out soon enough.
Quote:
4. How should I prepare for the work in uni, should I go over some topics such as mechanics in 4unit?
Nah, that's just going overboard. Take it as it comes. For maths, attend lectures and pay attention - it helps immensely.
Quote:
5. Is the course structure for the first year of engineering common to all engineering degrees?
First sem is common (physics, engg1000, maths + computing) but second sem it branches out abit.

theres diff levels of computing/math/physics available, 2nd sem is normally surveying+chemistry/materials+mechanics.
Quote:
6. Finally is the course work difficult for subjects like uni physics and maths?
The math and physics you do in high school is childs play. Wipe out your knowledge of physics right away when you get into uni. For maths....try to understand why you're doing what you're doing, why you're taking a particular appraoch. Uni is much more rigorous in proofs and methods.

hahah just a reminder, you'll hate physics the first time around - but it's actually very easy.

If you got anymore q's just PM me. - This was from Tommykins btw

The following emails are from JohnOliver

Hi I was reading some of your posts and the main message I got from them is that UTS is shit. I was planning to go to UTS but after reading your posts I am having second doubts. I am interested in civil engineering as well. Why is UNSW so much better than UTS?, I heard the work there is long-winded and more theory based and aimed for research why UTS is more practical and the work is easier because its aimed for industry? Is this true.

Also is the 1 year Work expereince at UTS worth it or a waste of time.

Work experience is an absolute waste of time. Sure there is some hands on experience at UTS, and there is more of an industry focus, but you simply won't learn the detail you will at UNSW, and you won't have the resources to learn as much as you will at UNSW.

The thing is UNSW is a *lot* harder because there's a lot more to learn and they are more taxing and less forgiving. However, I think that mentality is far more valuable in the long run if you're going into industry than the whole 'lie back and relax and cruise through uni' mentality, because at the end of the day if you fuck up at work or on a job or you mess something up you can lose your job. It's good to build that level of professionalism from the start.

UTS simply doesn't have the funds to concentrate on Engineering, and they just haven't been paying attention to the students. They're shutting down courses, messing with student's academic plans and generally being total fuckwits.

At UNSW you know exactly where you stand, how your course will progress, what marking criteria exist for each assessment, etc. It's far better organised and there's far more information and support for students.

UNSW is a lot harder, and there's a lot more hard work, but you'll finish Uni a year earlier with arguably more experience and you'll have a greater professional mentality and greater skills than people graduating from the same degree at UTS.

What are the positives of UTS if you don;t mind posting?

More of a social atmosphere, a lot more laid back, organising subjects/classes is a bit easier. They offer classes in both semesters rather than just in one semester at UNSW, so you don't have to wait a year to do a class if it isn't offered the next semester.

The compact campus is also pretty good as there are places to study and you don't really have to wander around all that much, their labs are also open 24/7 as is the Uni.

I hoped these emails are of some benefit to you

Logjammin'

HSC
If you enjoy people talking extremely loudly in lectures to the point where the lecturer kicks people out and eventually leaves, go for gold at UTS. I think this is due to them letting in people with ~70 UAI. Never had this problem in courses that werent shared with civil engineers however.

Is this the same at UNSW?

Uncle

Banned
HSC
At UNSW, this depends on the lecturer, generally the lecturer tells everyone to quiet down but if the noise level keeps us there is a list of things they do including but not limited to:

1) The lecturer himself/herself STFU until everyone else STFU before the lecture resumes, reminding others it's their time being wasted not his/hers.
2) The lecturer SLAPPING the table until everyone STFU ( My favourite =] )
3) The lecturer actually shouts "SHUT UP" at the top of his voice.
4) Worst of all, don't care and lectures regardless of noise level.

micuzzo

HSC
Anyways in relation to the question, I decided to share some emails about engineering that may be of use to you and any1 else.

3. How is the environment, are alot of people snobs, or is the envrionment quite lively?
Overall the engineering environment I must say is probably the most lively out of the Uni. We hold weekly events and we're really into the whole teamwork thing (ENGG1000 for example, if you go UNSW). They push you out of your comfort zone to make connections and contacts + friends, cause realistically - 90% of engineers are socially inept.
lol

and

thank you, this post was helpful.

just out of curiosity though, are you still planning to go to UTS?

M@ster P

HSC
lol

and

thank you, this post was helpful.

just out of curiosity though, are you still planning to go to UTS?
yeah - I just like it there better, feel more comfortable

Edit: changed my mind now Im seriously considering to go to UNSW if i make it ofcourse, if not UTS

Last edited:

miaowsha

HSC
UNSW > UTS. USyd is incomparable in awesomeness and intelligence.
It'd be like: USyd >>>>>>>>>>>>>> UNSW > UTS.
It actually really depends. For commerce, UNSW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sydney >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UWS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> UTS >>>>>>>>>>>> The rest. Lol.

miaowsha

HSC
how much grass is in greenland? how much ice is in iceland?

how "techy" is uts?

the name means absolutely nothing

(especially when you consider that UNSW used to be called the New South Wales University of Technology ;))

there isnt one
Damn, the School of History and Philosophy now doesn't exist all because you said it didnt :eek:

miaowsha

HSC
right now here is what i think in terms of "Why would I go to this uni?"

uws = med, forensics
macq = business, history
usyd = law, arts
uts = business, not tech
unsw = i cant make a fair judgement, although i wouldnt come here to study history
The ONLY good business major at macquarie is actuarial studies. This is the ONLY one where it is superior to anyone. UNSW is good for commerce, science, engineering, medicine and law. Sydney is good at arts, the only place to do pharmacy, good at law, alright at commerce and good at medicine too. UTS has cereal box bachelor of business degrees where equivalent subjects at UNSW don't have multple choice questions, UTS does in final exams lol. Oh and UWS is great for transferring out of, like the tons of people I know who screwed up their HSC and then xferred. Lol. Though I know one successful journalist from UWS and one or two people who work in marketing who are also successful (in terms of job satisfaction and salary).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)