What's the hardest thing you've ever come across in your job? (1 Viewer)

latvia

HSC
N/A
Please share your experiences.. unless the info is confidential.

CieL

HSC
The brick wall. Which I've tried to smash my head on several times.

But seriously, "hardest thing"?
Most difficult perhaps?
It doesn't hurt to get the ball rolling by providing an example in your opening post.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Listen to a family get told they have to sue their own daughter who acted as their 'middleman' in a nigerian scam in order to get the pension now that they have no assets but are apparently owed all their retirement funds.

danielvh

HSC
Quite a few things during a management consulting internship I'm currently in (2.5 months total - 2 weeks to go). An example:

Creating an excel model for a large resources company (>8000 employees) that determines a budget for their employees for each division for the next 2 years (each employee has about 20 different allowances they could possibly get and about 5 different oncosts - and each one of these is determined by rules such as what pay bracket they're in, what work schedule rule they're on and where they're fly in fly out or not to give a few examples).

And went into this project with extremely limited Excel knowledge (couldn't remember exactly how vlookups worked!). Sooooo much better at Excel now.

greekgun

HSC
danielvh said:
Quite a few things during a management consulting internship I'm currently in (2.5 months total - 2 weeks to go). An example:

Creating an excel model for a large resources company (>8000 employees) that determines a budget for their employees for each division for the next 2 years (each employee has about 20 different allowances they could possibly get and about 5 different oncosts - and each one of these is determined by rules such as what pay bracket they're in, what work schedule rule they're on and where they're fly in fly out or not to give a few examples).

And went into this project with extremely limited Excel knowledge (couldn't remember exactly how vlookups worked!). Sooooo much better at Excel now.
u did a big job like that and u didnt even remember how to use a vlookup table! Talk about pressure.

I rekon the hardest thing ive come across in my job is dealing with customers. They give me the shits. Some people can handle customer service well, but it doesnt agree with me.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Not "hard" but more frustrating...

Seeing people not act on advice, and then getting burnt. They ultimately make their own decisions, but it's frustrating when it could have been avoided.

JFK said:
Be partially responsible for a guy, who was struggling to make ends meet and has a wife and family, losing his job and possibly going to prison. I watched him cry in the interrogation/interview our Forensic team performed.
Please tell me more. How partially responsible?

Beckerella

HSC
I work in a hairdressers one day a week so I have to talk to complete strangers a lot and seem to be interested in what they're saying - even if they're just talking about their grocery shopping. It's an interesting job, I've had about 3 marriage proposals and I've been working there for a year.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
JFK said:
Be partially responsible for a guy, who was struggling to make ends meet and has a wife and family, losing his job and possibly going to prison. I watched him cry in the interrogation/interview our Forensic team performed.
holy shit. you better not be a cop..

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
The hardest thing in my job (furniture retail) is having customers who just refuse to accept anything I say due to my age..

seriously i have had some people just not listen to me and go and ask someone else and that someone else come back to ask me to repeat what i told them a minute ago.. *bangs head on ciel's brick wall*

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
lizziegirl said:
think the most hardest (or should i say difficult) thing is when i was a vet nurse/kennel hand...coming into work i found one of our boarding cats had died...had to phone up the client (who was on holiday) and tell them that their cat had died...it was pretty sad :(
:(

Hardest thing in my job is probably just customers who don't understand how to work the internet or have really simple technical issues (as in adjusting firewall settings etc) and you have to explain it right from the beginning without being able to see their screen and with them not following your instructions properly and/or getting worked up and asking things like "home page??!? what's that mean?!?!" and you're like *headdesk* lol... I'm so glad they can't see me through the phone. The look on my face totally contradicts my tone of voice sometimes.

kalli

HSC
Dealing with crappy development work (im a software tester) but still having to deliver to schedules... ARGH!!!!

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
abuse and soccer balls.....i referree soccer its my job

UNZPME

HSC
lookkin through the yellow pages online had 2 create a databass for 151 feilds s0o boringggggg :pain: :pain:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hardest thing = working 12 hour shift... with incompetent staff.

Last edited by a moderator:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The Week of Christmas. although i have to admit it's kind of rewarding and exciting as well as being stressfull.

zaqwerty

HSC
Working New Years Eve selling food to drunks in the middle of a club. Yes, apparently people get angry when you say "We're not serving for 15 minutes between 11:55pm and 12:10am so we can actually celebrate the new year".

People wanted to buy food when the countdown was on?!

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
shinji said:
hardest thing = working 12 hour shift... with incompetent staff.
agreed.

That and refusing service of alcohol. I just hate it. Why the fuck would someone come into a liquor store intoxicated - especially old people.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Ooh, my hardest job experience would probably be cleaning up after someone who vomited ALL OVER a table. It made me gag.

Either that or the customer who couldn't speak English, but at least he was polite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)