whats the most evil subject? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
mathematics cos no one passed, 'cept the extensioners....

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Just putting it out there, but...

Music 2.

You have to be analytical and creative at the same time. Be able to deconstruct chords and scores, notate music from simply listening to it, memorise a melody in 1 minute, performance assessments, multiple compositions, timed exams that don't allow you to go back and complete something if you have extra time, analysing 6 pieces of music.

I mean honestly.

killua_3

HSC
For those who said maths, you guys have no idea how important calculus is if you do engineering or even economics in uni (so i've heard). general maths = waste of time. 4u rules lol (even though i'm dying from harder 3u atm...)

For those who said english, i completely agree. It is COMPLETELY USELESS. even if you do journalism or something along the lines of these careers/courses, you still don't need to know how to analyse Shakespeare and you don't need to discuss 'belonging' to depths with the support of 3 freakin texts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarebs

HSC
Definately Maths. i.e. 2unit and above standards (3unit, 4unit)

Honestly, about 98% of the syllabus is irrelevant to us after we leave highschool!!!

Integrals, differentiating, calculus.. its such a waste of time,
in my opinion the subject is just to show how capable you are analytically...

its not directly preparing you for life after school...

general maths on the other hand i believe (as i don't do it) is slighlty more beneficial with the whole financial maths topic etc..

just my two cents worth =)
I totally agree! Mathematics is basically one of the most useless subjects for the AVERAGE person. My bro finished MX2 in yr 9, and I have never actually seen him apply any of his knowledge to real life. All of the 'general' kids seem to be applying their knowledge to their jobs and weird stuff like that.

But mathematics is my favourite subject, it's useless but fun sometimes! Also the most evil subject... or perhaps it's just the teacher. She integrated rather than differentiating... and WE need to be doing more homework eh?

ectobiologist

HSC
N/A
Mathematics is basically one of the most useless subjects for the AVERAGE person.
Only true because the average person is too stupid to go into any profession that actually ADVANCES society, i.e. pretty much every fucking science.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Where the hell is Maths NOT used? Become a journalist and you'll still have to go shopping = General Maths

But yes the most evil subject is english
Pretty easy to defeat imo, just move to Asia

cat-craze

HSC
I find it funny how this is essentially a forum about Math and English... i guess it's quite inevitable though...

...but has anyone really considered why they're doing each subject any way?

Besides English, it's not like people are forced to do Math when they obviously hate it, and people have no right to complain about a course they don't even do.

And English is NOT a waste of time, I understand not everyone will agree with this but, it's all so you can learn something you won't later in life; you learn so much in English that you can integrate into other subjects as well -it's all cyclic.

...and instead of bagging out your subjects, do yourself a favour and start liking what you chose for yourself...

:)

Top Secret

HSC
I find it funny how this is essentially a forum about Math and English... i guess it's quite inevitable though...

...but has anyone really considered why they're doing each subject any way?

Besides English, it's not like people are forced to do Math when they obviously hate it, and people have no right to complain about a course they don't even do.

And English is NOT a waste of time, I understand not everyone will agree with this but, it's all so you can learn something you won't later in life; you learn so much in English that you can integrate into other subjects as well -it's all cyclic.

...and instead of bagging out your subjects, do yourself a favour and start liking what you chose for yourself...

:)
Woah, calm down.

Don't take this thread too seriously. Also, people have a right to hate a subject. Plus it's not like someone who hates english can suddenly start liking it... If you are irritated by what other's opinions are, then "do yourself a favour" and leave. This is a fun and subjective thread, do not ruin it.

Back to the topic: My most evil subject - English! Die English!!!

And English is NOT a waste of time, I understand not everyone will agree with this but, it's all so you can learn something you won't later in life
There are so many things wrong with that statement, I don't know where to begin.

you learn so much in English that you can integrate into other subjects as well -it's all cyclic.
So you can write about Shakespeare characterisation in Hamlet in a Chemistry exam?

Top Secret

HSC
do you write in your chemistry exam? will you ever write later in life? ever need to read something? analyze something? form a coherent argument?
?

It's my choice I choose to dislike English, and with the current syllabus (empthsis on textal analysis), I fail to see much relavance to the real world, other than for students studying courses such as law, english, etc.

I will rather spend my time reading and enoying the text, rather than analysisng it and writing an essay on it.

Last edited:

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
?

It's my choice I choose to dislike English, and with the current syllabus (empthsise on textal analysis), I fail to see much relavance to the real world, other than for students studying courses such as law, english, etc.

I will rather spend my time reading and enoying the text, rather than analysisng it and writing an essay on it.
of course, i dislike english also, but i still believe that aspects of it are useful presently and in later life. perhaps not pseudo intellectual and melo-dramatic analysis of texts but certainly the writing and synthesizing of ideas.

Top Secret

HSC
of course, i dislike english also, but i still believe that aspects of it are useful presently and in later life. perhaps not pseudo intellectual and melo-dramatic analysis of texts but certainly the writing and synthesizing of ideas.
Well yes, I agree. But I was more focused on the textual analysis portion on english. This I believe is the reason why so many dislike senior english.

maths94

HSC
I see alot of h8s for english and maths with the usual when do you ever use it in life. Most of the stuff in school you never use in life. Example if you want to do engineering subjects like chem, phys, mx1/2 and IPT. So why should he care about the other subject he chose. Example someone does geography when are they ever going to use that in life? What about CAFS, S&C who is going to use that. Also ancient history/modern history yes that is useful but wat if you do not want to become a historian. What l am basically saying is that not all subjects are relevant. Maths might be relevant to one person but it may not be to the other.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
So you can write about Shakespeare characterisation in Hamlet in a Chemistry exam?
No, but you use techniques learnt in English for Drama, Visual Art, Society and Culture, Modern and Ancient History...

In any subject that requires you to write an argument or thesis-based essay, or an essay framed around sources or quotes, English is your best friend.

It's not the content that is the main factor in English, it's how you write about the content. Therefore, yes, deconstructing literary techniques is probably not going to help you in later life, but grammar, spelling, how to write appropriate to form (ie, essay, letter, report) and apt word choice will. Because no matter what profession you go into, English will almost always be used in some way.

HSC
It's not the content that is the main factor in English, it's how you write about the content. Therefore, yes, deconstructing literary techniques is probably not going to help you in later life, but grammar, spelling, how to write appropriate to form (ie, essay, letter, report) and apt word choice will. Because no matter what profession you go into, English will almost always be used in some way.

I would actually rather be taught proper grammar and spelling english, but my school's teachers insist that it's the content and how you write it that matters, and that they don't deduct marks for horrible spelling..

My english teacher said that apparently by 2020, there won't be anymore writing or paper in classrooms, just doing exams and typing on computers..

I'm just waiting for the day english is made uncompulsory :)

Finx

HSC
Most of these responses are incoherent flames or walls of text. Here's the simple rundown:

Subjects are designed to test students' intellectual capabilities rather than to give them useful knowledge for the future.

BoS doesn't give a flying f* whether you're going to use their syllabus information for future reference, as long as they can rank you against other students in the state, its all cheese and crackers for them.

English haters
Most of you are the ones that suck at English. Yes it's true, most English aspects (denoting a text, finding out what Shakespeare REALLY means, etc) are completely useless in future life. Still hating? YOU LIVE IN AN ENGLISH SPEAKING COUNTRY. DEAL WITH IT.
(Edit: without English, Asians would dominate the Australian education system way harder than they already are at the moment)

Math haters
Most of you are the numerically illiterate, hating the concept of using logic to overcome a problem. Yes it's true, you don't need to find the gradient of a curve or know the area of a segment in future life, but as mentioned before, it demonstrates your capabilities and limits. Still hate it? Quit the subject.

Summary? QQ. If you're crying about how hard a subject is, its most likely that hundreds of students around the state are having the same problem.

Last edited:

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
This subject was made compulsory so the Asians couldn't dominate the Australian education system by doing all the maths and science subjects. Deal with it.
Lol, um, no. I think you'll find that the study of the national language is a compulsory course in all leaving school certificates that are worth anything.

Finx

HSC
Lol, um, no. I think you'll find that the study of the national language is a compulsory course in all leaving school certificates that are worth anything.
Edited my post, but English is still there to semi-balance the system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)