What's your opinion (1 Viewer)

Is the Belvoir St upgrade a viable option for theatre in Sydney?

• Yes

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
This may seem a bit grown up to be talking bout it on this site, but it's going to affect the way we all, and the future drama students, see theatre... Belvoir St Theatre is spending $8.3 million on renovating the theatre, and hence improve all facilities... What does this mean for us? It means more expensive tickets? But it also means better plays, actors, maybe even international plays/playwrights/actors? So what's your stance? Is this a good move for theatre in Sydney? Or not? Have your say... Below is the link to the article from Sydney Morning Herald...

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/03/15/1079199146577.html

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I think it's great. I absolutely loathe sitting in dirty places watching amatuers, even if I only pay $5. International plays/playwrights/actors would be fantastic. That's the only way you will get more people to go to the theatre. The renovations will be fantastic...by the looks of the place, they NEED it BIG TIME!

Cos

I'm all for it, who knows what possibilites this upgrade could bring. As long as it keeps it's arty look inside the building! I kinda like the current thrust stage though - it works very well for theatresports and smaller plays, but I think they should build a second stage somehow for more practical and bigger plays.

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
I gotta agree - as long as the interior keeps that "closeness" feeling about it - im happy... But i doubt they will - they were complaining about having the box office underneath the seating... So probably extend it or something... I'm all for the second stage idea, would be a great idea... The current stage is brill for theatresports - great crowd interaction... And also it's great for certain pieces (like Godot, where Neil Armfield had great actor/audience relationships. NB you can use this in ur absurdist essay as a point to make...)... But for bigger plays, i reckon a second stage would be awesome...

One issue with all this though, is that Belvoir needs a further $2.8 mill to do the upgrade... It says Company B will raise this - but my question is: how long will it take them to raise $3 mil? My thinking is the upgrade won't happen for another two years in this case? Am i right?

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
I reckon the upgrade will take ages as well. 3 mil is A LOT of money. I wonder what Sparky thinks about this. He LOVES Belvoir. Don't ever let us get into the position where we argue about Belvoir. lol It could get nasty.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
haha.. i'll keep that in mind grk girl when i see sparky next!
personally, i dont mind what happens. a play is still a play. i know the questions doggie dude's trying to raise here... but i dont know. i'd still go despite whether or not they renovated/improved..whatever!
but i agree with the whole closeness allowing greater audience interaction... thats what really brings a smile to my face about belvoir.

kalinda

HSC
i have to say mixed feelings on this
i hope they dont get rid of the amature shows cuz it is good experience for those amatures to get onstage and try out stuff
also a cheap laugh with some of those plays
even though there have been some shotty place the place has put on some great shows.
renevations could do alot for the theatre and seeing some internatioal act would be great but its kinda to me what belvoir is not about. it has always been national actors. there are plenty of places doin the international big stuff
i think over all though it prob will be benefical for the company

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
I'm a really homey person, if that makes sense. I hate moving out of the area to places I don't feel safe in. It's not that I didn't feel 'safe' at Belvoir, but I was not comfortable being there. I dunno, maybe just too many weird people staring me as if I was the weird one. Maybe in their opinion I AM the weird one. I think fixing Belvoir would benefit me, coz I'd feel a lot better about seeing plays there. Now, I'm kinda dreading going back.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Well here we go... Sparky's 2 cents :)

Okay... I don't know if anyone's ever been backstage at belvoir, but let me tell you about it. You think there is a closness in the audience, wait till you see the offices. Behind the belvoir front desk there are 2 offices that house 3 people that run the box office, on person works at the desk, and another at a side desk infront of the downstairs theatre entrance. What happens is you walk through a big red door into a tiny corridor where on the left you have a small office for the marketing dept (4 people), and this corridor is so small only ONE person can go through at a time. then in order to get to the subscribtion office and the business and literary manager and education officers office you need to go through the actors dressing room (which by the way has only 2 showers and one toilet) then up a rickety flight of stairs ONTO the stage then through the "green room" down a long corridor then your in! its a mess when you dont know where your going!

The upgrade will build on a rehersal space, extra offices, and storage area... according to what ive been told, the upgrade dosnt touch either of the spaces, but allows for more work to be done in the builing rather than offsite and is therefore cheaper due to no need for rent.

Company B has ALOT in surplus funds and could probably afford this with a bit of gov't help (which im sure they're getting) (and as cmmaddogz said fundraising) so ticket prices most likely will not sky rocket (as they have only gone up by a few dollars or so for the 2004 season) plus... Company B's audience are upper/middle class people who can already afford theatre, and should be able to afford any slight jump in ticket prices.

Unwaged performances are still there for those who cannot afford them, and really it does not do much to the audience.

I personally want to see money put into Re padding those seats! they are REALLY uncomfortable... some form of parking would be nice.. but unlikely...

so there we go... u cant tell im doing my research project on them much can you??! :)

Last edited:

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Originally posted by cmaddogz

One issue with all this though, is that Belvoir needs a further $2.8 mill to do the upgrade... It says Company B will raise this - but my question is: how long will it take them to raise $3 mil? My thinking is the upgrade won't happen for another two years in this case? Am i right?
Okay... and this is a quote from the annual report Belvoir made $775,667 SURPLUS in 2002 alone and thats like a 90% increase on 2001!!! and they have been climing steadily... its totally feesable.. and we all know they dont make as much as STC, but are very likely to soon!

cmaddogz

Maddogz Productions
HSC
Thanks for the info Sparky! If they continue to boom, let's say they have a kitty of $500,000 already (end of 2002 - surplus isn't net is it?), and earnt a further $750,000 per year, it'll take them till approx 2006 to earn the funds... Look at the time constraints - probably 8-10 months building time, you're looking at late '06, early '07... By that time i'll have a double degree, and most of you will be half-way/almost finshed your desired uni course... It's a long time away....

kalinda

HSC
i think it will be good in the end
it would be great for the workers by the sounds of it to get decent work space
the place has done some great work and with the new improvements it will only get better - hopefully;)

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Al... i am so close to subscribing!!! :) just need the money.. .they have a $100 six play offer for under 27s... i think i mite do that next year

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
HSC
Ohhh you have contacts!!!!!!

I wish I had contacts....in anything....anything at all?? Even if it's something small, tiny, minute! I HAVE NO CONTACTS!

Except the ones that make me see coz I'm blind.

:p

kalinda

HSC
well gs we now have contacts
well now know will and aLeeOh! so there fore we can go though them

if they be kind enough ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)