• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

When will Australia have an atheist prime minister? (4 Viewers)

When will Australia have an atheist prime minister?

• by 2030

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • by 2040

• by 2050

• after 2050

• Total voters

birdy17

HSC
Then fuck off Riet u arsehole
aren't you christian or catholic or whatever!?!?!

cause you've got an interesting way of showing it.

what happened to the "love your neighbour as you love yourself"??

Tangent

HSC
stop using words like 'energy' and 'matter', our crudely evolved brians are unable to contemplate such issues on a worthwhile level, statements like 'did energy have to be created' are pure white-noise.
Dont confuse your own ill-concieved logical proofs via contradiction and semantical babel as good philosopical discussion.

no I dont need to assume anything, you comments expose you as a retard (be it theist or non-theist)

more white noise..its like telling someone 9/11 never happened, being refuted, then emotionally saying 'keep an open mind, magic moves in mysterious ways..blah..blah..blah'

quiet repulsive really
did u even read my first post???

if it means that much to u, i concede because of your obvious superior intellect, and overpowering ego

just please...stop...speaking

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
aren't you christian or catholic or whatever!?!?!

cause you've got an interesting way of showing it.

what happened to the "love your neighbour as you love yourself"??
How dare you pressume to judge our complex relationship, outsider! Noob!

We're playing, this is what we do, it's how we show our love
wtf
I cant get over your impertinence

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Why do you pretend to be so dumb about all this?
Curious reply.

Do note "the dumbness" is what you have to actually face when you bring Christianity, geology, anthropology, evolution and common sense (if thats possible) together.

You can get all technical with another MAN deciding that "oh no the soul enters here..." but lets face it is utter speculation in the face of zero evidence- it certainly isn't biblical.

In some ways, I respect Christian fundamentalists far more then "theistic (christian) evolutionists" and liberals...

If some sections of the "holy book" are wrong (note there is no appendix or footnotes which tell you to read it metaphorically) it is frivolous to pick and choose- the truth value of the whole thing needs to be nullified.

But hey that's just my view.

I remember a Catholic family member tried to to explain to me theistic evolution, we got about 1 minute into it before it ultimately failed. Could you shed some light?

saberbladexx

HSC
If there was a athiest Prime minister, does anyone think he would lie and say hes religious?

ay0_x

HSC
When I get bored of being a subject and decide to grace parliament with my presence.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Curious reply.

Do note "the dumbness" is what you have to actually face when you bring Christianity, geology, anthropology, evolution and common sense (if thats possible) together.

You can get all technical with another MAN deciding that "oh no the soul enters here..." but lets face it is utter speculation in the face of zero evidence- it certainly isn't biblical.

In some ways, I respect Christian fundamentalists far more then "theistic (christian) evolutionists" and liberals...

If some sections of the "holy book" are wrong (note there is no appendix or footnotes which tell you to read it metaphorically) it is frivolous to pick and choose- the truth value of the whole thing needs to be nullified.

But hey that's just my view.

I remember a Catholic family member tried to to explain to me theistic evolution, we got about 1 minute into it before it ultimately failed. Could you shed some light?

There was a process involved in man being 'moulded out of clay' and the end result was the modern human of today which is totally distinct from the rest of creation. Unlike, idk, dogs who are instinctive animals and totally content with, idk, a bone, we have deeper and more painful urges which arent satisfied and cant be satisfied by the world. We all long for the infinite, the beautiful, the good and the true. Our soul longs to know our creator and redeemer and will be satisfied by nothing less than this full encounter.

If youre hooked on pin-pointing the moment of the dawn of man, I suppose youd have to point to the period where we acquired sufficent brain capacity to employ language effectively enough to organise and sufficently conquer external threats. Genisis makes specific mention of language being a gift from God so that man can order the world according to his will. In so doing, we are made co-creators with a God whos very word brought about creation and whose word was made flesh thru His son.

Cloesd

HSC
If there was a athiest Prime minister, does anyone think he would lie and say hes religious?

Probably, it'd be funny if they realized he'd lied mid-way through his time. Or even if he made a public statement that he'd lost faith, i mean what is the public going to do? Religion is in decline, give it until 2025.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
There was a process involved in man being 'moulded out of clay' and the end result was the modern human of today which is totally distinct from the rest of creation. Unlike, idk, dogs who are instinctive animals and totally content with, idk, a bone, we have deeper and more painful urges which arent satisfied and cant be satisfied by the world. We all long for the infinite, the beautiful, the good and the true. Our soul longs to know our creator and redeemer and will be satisfied by nothing less than this full encounter.

If youre hooked on pin-pointing the moment of the dawn of man, I suppose youd have to point to the period where we acquired sufficent brain capacity to employ language effectively enough to organise and sufficently conquer external threats. Genisis makes specific mention of language being a gift from God so that man can order the world according to his will. In so doing, we are made co-creators with a God whos very word brought about creation and whose word was made flesh thru His son.
I actually appreciate you respondingly sensibly, but you must see where I am coming from...

Its occam's razor, you just don't need to complicate the origins of man with god, we can explain evolution through natural selection...

I just think that they aren't compatible at a deep level...people say they beleive in god and evolution but they can't viablly say much more about the "science of it"..IMO if you say you fully accept evolution your saying that at one point we were single celluar organisms and we have gone from that to the exact form we are today and we will CONTINUE to change...if here at all, our species will be very different by the time the sun implodes...

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Interesting I think the main conflict between the theist and the atheist is that they both accuse each other of "not seeing the big picture."

The theist thinks the atheist must be stupid to believe "this is all there is". That there is something bigger, an eternal world of glory, we are part of a loving and guiding divine plan etc

Interestingly though, as an atheist I also think the theist doesn't have the "big picture". I see knowledge of the universe and cosmology in general as being far bigger then the god hypothesis, which inevitably seems confined to man and the Earth. Atheists generally see theists as people who are struggling to deal with the fact that we are not very important at all and this is a beautiful thing!

Let's sit back and marvel at the wonders of nature and the universe...that in itself is far more transcendent then worrying if you have satisfied daily dietary requirements or kept sabbath. It is not nihilistic or depressing to know that for billions of years we were not here. As quick as we have came we will die out. The earth has no memory and we will be forgotten in this mysterious chasm of existence. In fact, the universe doesn't even give a shit about our solar system, it will one day be destroyed, just as we are watching other systems which have been destroyed hundreds of millions of yrs ago (which may have had life in them) everytime we observe a supernova in the cosmos...

There is no need to label the unexplained as "supernatural" and arrogantly invoke "knowledge of the supernatural" which by definition is a paradox.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I actually appreciate you respondingly sensibly, but you must see where I am coming from...

Its occam's razor, you just don't need to complicate the origins of man with god, we can explain evolution through natural selection...

I just think that they aren't compatible at a deep level...people say they beleive in god and evolution but they can't viablly say much more about the "science of it"..IMO if you say you fully accept evolution your saying that at one point we were single celluar organisms and we have gone from that to the exact form we are today and we will CONTINUE to change...if here at all, our species will be very different by the time the sun implodes...
I am aware of your skepticism about the compatibility, but for me it's enlightening things rather than complicating them. What happened beyond evolution? Where'd all this matter come from? No one knows for sure

I dont know what I think about your point about continued evolution. Is that even scientific fact? We manipulate our environment to such an extent that youd think that we'd have little reason to evolve. Like, we're not about to sprout umbrellas out of our heads to keep the occasional rain away
/science:cool:

webworld1

HSC
N/A
It's been pointed out more than once and by many people that an atheist has no chance of being elected President of the United States any time soon. As a demonstration of just how different America is from Europe, there is a very realistic chance than an atheist could become Britain's next Prime Minister: David Miliband. What would be unthinkable in America seems to be treated as unimportant by most in Britain. It doesn't appear as though many think that being an atheist or a theist is an important question when it comes to politics — and that's as it should be. At least, that's as it should be in an ideal world, but our world is far from ideal. Because of the extent to which religious privilege continues to pervade politics and culture, there are ways in which an atheist politician can differ substantively from a theist politician — just as female politicians can differ from males and black politicians can differ from whites. The parallel here is that minorities are less likely to accede to, much less expand, traditional privileges enjoyed by majorities. Maybe that's one reason why it's so hard for them to get elected: they can't be trusted to uphold the status quo.

Web developer

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Hopefully soon. I'm sick of religious influences... although I have to Rudd has been pretty secular about everything.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
yeah i know right i mean who cares if the leader of our country has a dogmatic, batshit insane belief system that dictates their view of the world amirite??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)