Where and how much do you tip? (1 Viewer)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Was discussing this on another forum the other day, and those guys all seemed like stingy assholes who insist that tipping simply shouldn't be done (other than rounding) in Australia because people in hosp are paid fine.

I disagree, and think that tipping shows a mutual respect between a patron and the person working there, an acknowledgement of good service. Working in hosp myself I know that a couple of dollars here and there isnt a substantial increase in wages but infact that it isn't really about the money at all. Quite simply if I get tips at work it means Ill get a maccas meal on the way home instead of toast when I get in.

I can also tell you that if you tip in a bar, you will almost certainly be served quicker next time.

So myself:
Pubs/clubs: round change, maybe 50c here and there, more if I'm buying a whole round
Cocktail bar: round up maybe $2/3 since more effort is being put into the drink than if I were getting a beer
Restaurant: if with friends will aim for about 10% on top. I've never paid on my own at a restaurant so Idk.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Was discussing this on another forum the other day, and those guys all seemed like stingy assholes who insist that tipping simply shouldn't be done (other than rounding) in Australia because people in hosp are paid fine.

I disagree, and think that tipping shows a mutual respect between a patron and the person working there, an acknowledgement of good service. Working in hosp myself I know that a couple of dollars here and there isnt a substantial increase in wages but infact that it isn't really about the money at all. Quite simply if I get tips at work it means Ill get a maccas meal on the way home instead of toast when I get in.

I can also tell you that if you tip in a bar, you will almost certainly be served quicker next time.

So myself:
Pubs/clubs: round change, maybe 50c here and there, more if I'm buying a whole round
Cocktail bar: round up maybe $2/3 since more effort is being put into the drink than if I were getting a beer
Restaurant: if with friends will aim for about 10% on top. I've never paid on my own at a restaurant so Idk.
I don't usually tip at restaurants, unless service is fantastic but if i'm at a bar, pub or club in the city i do. In saying that, i've only had my ID for like two or three months and i don't go out all that much, i only do because the people i go out with do. I think it's good manners and yeah, gets you served way quicker. It's really not that hard and makes someones job a bit more pleasant.

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It depends on the price of the item.

Normal drinks- silver change (whatever they give me, maybe any that's floating around my wallet)
Drinks more than $10- something gold
Lunch- probably just some gold coinage since lunch usually is less than $20
Dinner- rounded up to the nearest $10 for normal service, maybe an extra $5 or $10 on top of that if service was really good. The bf pays for dinner, but I might throw in the tip if I have small notes or some coins.

If service is shit, though, I won't tip, since hosp workers do get paid enough to survive here.

This is one of the reasons I want to get into the bar at the club. Those boys earn so much in tips, we get jack shit at the cafe because it's all buzzers.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Oh man, girls on bars get way more than me, and I am waaayyyy better half the time too. Annoys the hell out of me. At ashie: so if you went to dinner with friends and it was $211 you'd give exactly $211?

Yeah, I don't tip with lunch: i.e. take away places.

yer8899

HSC
Restaurant:
- Sausage fest: no
- Females present: loose change-5%, depending on how shite the service was
Nightclub: depends how drunk i am. probs only leave the small silver though.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
Oh man, girls on bars get way more than me, and I am waaayyyy better half the time too. Annoys the hell out of me. At ashie: so if you went to dinner with friends and it was $211 you'd give exactly $211?

Yeah, I don't tip with lunch: i.e. take away places.
Dinner with good service if i can afford it at the time between 10 and 30 percent of however much dinner was. Do you work at a bar? Do the majority of people tip? Working with people gets so tiring, if people are doing a good job and your in a financial position to tip them its really not that hard.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I work both as a waiter and barman, it alternates, nah most people don't tip, but that's because everything is already rounded to the nearest 50c or $1 amount. If stuff was like $7.30 and stuff no doubt they would.

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
How do you tip barmen etc?

Just be like here bro and throw 80c at him?

David Spade

Banned
HSC
N/A
never seen a jar at the bar and its a bar, dont you pay over the bar

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
cafes/restaurants: really depends. if service is fantastic i'll leave a generous tip. otherwise something decent. i almost always tip.
bars/clubs/pubs: usually the change they give me i just leave on the plate.

quik.

HSC
If I don't want change I let them keep it

That's about as much as I have ever 'tipped', I am more in the 'this isn't america you aren't getting paid $2 an hour' camp

chamelia

HSC
I very rarely tip anywhere. But that's just because of current budget limitations. But yes I feel rude when I do walk away change in hand..

So when the budget increases I'd say I'd tip wherever good service warrants it. As in, I don't get overlooked constantly because I'm only 5cm max taller than the bar.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Give pizza boys a few gold coins at least always. $5 is a dream.

Because it's absolutely the worst job in urban Australia.

I used to be so delighted if I got one or two gold coins. It means nothing to customers, but it's the difference between paying for petrol/dinner etc... Keeps you going.

In hospitality otherwise, I would never tip. Don't give a fuck. Everyone in hospitality earns more than I do as a labourer. Chefs have it harder than waitresses, I would tip the kitchen if it could be done smoothly.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Hospitality service is easy.

Would sooner tip tradesmen esp. apprentices.

daniieee

HSC
round off to the next dollar or next ten dollar.

hold on ... that salvation army guy is standing outside.
Lolol.

If I don't want change I let them keep it
I love it when they say "keep the change". It's almost always the men who do it though. Is there something about coins and guys that don't go well together? Maybe it's because they can't really put coins in their wallets like girls do.

I always tip at restaurants, even if the service is lousy. It's how much I tip that varies. Also depends on how many of us are dining (I've never dined alone before) and whereabouts we're dining (i.e. a familiar restaurant). Generally I don't tip more than $20, but no less than $5.

I do have a strange fixation with overly shiny or new coins though, especially the ones I've never seen before. So if one of those turns up in the change, I'll always take it. I dislike 5 and 10 cent coins though (do they ever change?), so I never take those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)