Where and how much do you tip? (1 Viewer)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i ONLY tip for good service, 10-20 per cent of what i paid, according to the quality of service.

this is because i've worked in hospitality since i was 15: bars, restaturants, cafes, clubs, pubs etc. and i know that it's pretty easy work and a smile costs nothing to them but makes me feel like giving them money to pocket.

hairspray

HSC
I always tell the person at the counter to "keep the change" if its not an excessive amount i.e. over $10. But seriously... what's with tipping? Can't the restaurant just jack up the prices? And whats with cafes charging us an extra 10% on top of the bill claiming that we are paying for the "service" and yet they still expect us to tip as well...

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
i ONLY tip for good service, 10-20 per cent of what i paid, according to the quality of service.

this is because i've worked in hospitality since i was 15: bars, restaturants, cafes, clubs, pubs etc. and i know that it's pretty easy work and a smile costs nothing to them but makes me feel like giving them money to pocket.
Yeah, I tip more since I've been working in hosp. Idk, its just like a knowing nod. I don't believe in karma but its sort of like a phyisical manifestation of it.

Also retail is fucking easy suck my balls. If you think its not I suggest you go get a tray and try and carrying a dozen or more champagne flutes.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
And waitresses do have it tough because they're the first person to get yelled at when something goes wrong.

I'd definitely agree that since working in hospitality I've started tipping more. Not all the time, because sometimes they don't deserve it (like if the waiter is playing the 'avoid the customer' game), but if they've been happy and helpful I'll tip.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
i never tip. i keep my spare silver coinage in a little box in my bedroom. currently about $16 worth of change in there and i'll be damned if some stranger with an enormous chin is going to be stealing my money!

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I tend to leave my change if I'm in a small restaurant or local take-away, as I find it kind of stingy to take your 45c or whatever. Other than that... I guess if it's been particularly nice I'll just round it up to to nearest $5 or whatever, but I won't actually put down a specific tip.
Never got tipped when I worked in hospitality but never expected it.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
I'll only tip excellent service in Hospitality (unless in America, where people survive off tips).

By this I mean (but not exclusively):

- Excellent food (particularly if the food was much cheaper than what it tasted like)
- Friendly service.
- Knowledge of their products (or the willingness to admit that they need to ask the chef) - particularly in reference to matching wines and such.
- Quick service - nothing is worse than having to wait for your menu, then wait to order (or being rushed to order)

Yea... I think that if the service makes you want to come back they deserve a tip... so yea.

Daipire

HSC
I'll only tip excellent service in Hospitality (unless in America, where people survive off tips).

- Excellent food (particularly if the food was much cheaper than what it tasted like)
- Friendly service.
- Knowledge of their products (or the willingness to admit that they need to ask the chef) - particularly in reference to matching wines and such.
- Quick service - nothing is worse than having to wait for your menu, then wait to order (or being rushed to order)

Yea... I think that if the service makes you want to come back they deserve a tip... so yea.
doesn't mean people should still be half assed about it though, just throw on a smile and let the money plow in.

If they don't at least smile, i don't see a point to tip, i'd probably just rattle off that cool speech from resovouir dogs and be on my merry way slightly richer.

And besides, it's only western culture that have tipping, so if you don't quite remember the speech, just say "me no speekie engly" and run before the person realised you weren't chinese (if you actually are chinese, you can just walk though)

CecilyMare

HSC
In America, some of the people who work at restaurants get really pissed off when people don't tip. One even came to Yahoo! Answers and vented at everyone and cursed at the people who said that they don't tip often because they don't have enough money since the food is expensive enough/because the service or food was poor to begin with.

He said that the restaurant LOSES money if they don't tip, and i'm just like, then you should be grateful that they came into your restaurant in the first place, right? God what dumb people.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I normally don't do it, because it isn't really the custom. However, I'll often round off the bill at a restaurant. Another one is delivered pizza, where it's just easy to let them keep the change.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
i don't tip in australia, because we have award wages.

ie. waiter is paid $18, as opposed to $2 or something in the US

seriously though, in the US

you HAVE to tip.
even if the service is abysmal, you have to tip 10%.
if it's good, then tip 20%

i mean it all evens up..

burgers at maccas in the are only $USD1..
as opposed to what.. $3.25 here.

i hate how groceries and food is so expensive here.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I normally just leave my change on the plate at pubs and bars

At one place I went to I got a few weird looks from the bar staff when I left it and figured maybe they weren't expecting it or something, so the next drink I didn't tip. Still don't really know what the deal was there.

At restaurants and stuff I only tip if the service was good and then probably about $5-10 depending on how much it was. I don't tip at maccas or anything because I think that would be weird.

lychnobity

HSC

- Friendly service.

+1

I tip if someone does their job properly, more if the service was more than I expected of them.

If someone does a crappy job (ie rude, too slow) I leave them nothing.

EDIT: I tip in restaurants and sometimes retail

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
In taxis and restaurants I leave the change (usually to the nearest $5). In restaurants, if the service has been excellent, I might even chuck a $10 on top of that. However, I'm generally quite generous with my tipping, I'll give them $5 extra anyway. And yeah, in America, hospitality literally survive off tipping. =\

Some woman tipped in KFC the other day. Attracted weird looks except for the 15 year old at the counter who was too busy looking at the $10 thrust in her hand. :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Simple.

Coffeeshop- tip any silver change from the rounded to nearest 50c amount IF sugar is put into my t/a coffee when requested (maybe more if they remember my name/order). I do NOT appreciate it when they say they're too busy or they point to the sugar pile. I'm paying $3-4 for something which costs them <50c to make, they can put sugar in. And of course when I get to free coffee time, I aim to tip the price of the coffee subject to coins availability in my bag.

Restaurants- tip the higher of 10% of the meal bill or the amount required to round the bill upto the nearest $5. Exception to this is if I'm eating at a small asian shop or something in which case it's typically not expected and I'll just tip any coin change (which is essentially rounded upto nearest $5 unless I paid with coins). Special service (such as checking on my meal or remembering special niceties, or taking a photo of my gf and me) usually yield bigger tips (typically another $5-10 depending on size of meal).

Bars- I don't feel the need to tip anything more than coin change since drinks are quite expensive. That being said this isn't usually needed since I have private bar tabs with the bars I frequent.

EDIT (to add more)
Taxis- round up to nearest $5 (typically paid via card) unless the driver was rude, disgusting, or did something else to annoy me (e.g. talk on his own phone loudly throughout the convo)

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
the larry david standard- 12% unless the other person tips more than they said they did and if i found out than a dollar more than the other person

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
+1

I tip if someone does their job properly, more if the service was more than I expected of them.

If someone does a crappy job (ie rude, too slow) I leave them nothing.

EDIT: I tip in restaurants and sometimes retail
How do you tip in retail?

IMO the point of tipping was to recognise service above and beyond what was expected of their job. However this does raise issues when you consider expensive restaurants where you are paying a lot for your meal (and the ambience) and hence would expect a greater level of basic service.

That being said, if people do NOT do their basic job properly (my example of adding sugar to my takeaway coffee) then I am not going to tip at all.

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
If I don't want change I let them keep it

That's about as much as I have ever 'tipped', I am more in the 'this isn't america you aren't getting paid $2 an hour' camp
Exactly this. This thread is retarded. I would never tip at a bar, pub, restaurant. The only time i've ever tipped would be if i put in $39.97 of petrol and then they said "That'll be $39.95", i would handover $40, and say "keep the change" lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)