• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

WHERE ARE YOU UP2? (take 3) (1 Viewer)

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
exactly. theres plenty of useless time-wasting that is a result of stupid number-crunching. ie polynomials. and we wouldnt focus so much on the basics, but go more in-depth. when the technology is there, its just stupid not to take advantage of it.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
dawso said:
lol, we all really do take calculators for granted....in class i even use a calculator to work out 3x5 etc, but its best to check....otherwise u stuff up like me in 3unit test..... 2 squared = 1, of course it does.....
Too true.
For some reason, doing calculations as simple as 5x8 on a calculator (instead of in my head) gives me peace of mind. Ironically, in Ext 1 and Ext 2 exams it's usually the basic arithmetic that loses me marks. !?!?

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Sphyx said:
if my memory serves me right, we are the last state that doesnt let advanced and extension maths students the use of graphics calculators. now think how much easier that would make things. and we would be able to learn a much wider scope of topics.
I think it's stupid to allow people to use graphics calculators in Advanced/Extension Maths...it doesn't make you think. Can you imagine the guys who move from Qld/Vic etc. to NSW? - Ext 2 Graphs = no marks!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Hmm...I guess I worded that badly. By "Binomial Theorem" I wasn't referring to the binomial theorem as such, but rather the broader topic - BOS likes to call the topic "Binomail Theorem" even though some of the course is in fact only background to binomial theorem... :confused: :p

But as Trev said, it's much easier just to use the "C" button (does this have a proper name?) than to memorise Pascal''s triangle esp. for things like (x+1)10.
C stands for combinatorial. However, since many people go into complex numbers without any knowledge of binomial theorem, Pascal's triangle is the superior choice, at least up to and including (ax+by)^5 (which is the highest I've encountered in CN's).

It's funny how we tend to take calculators for granted - can you imagine sitting an MX1 or MX2 test for the HSC without a calculator? !?!?
Yeh... about that... it's not that hard. I always have a calculator handy, but only for very hard arithmetic. Otherwise I always use my head. That's why I can finish so quickly. As for silly mistakes - not as any as you'd expect. Non-calculator arithmetic is a VERY handy skill to have, and being a skill, it can be improved.

I suggest you all attempt to sever your relience on calculators.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Yeh... about that... it's not that hard. I always have a calculator handy, but only for very hard arithmetic. Otherwise I always use my head. That's why I can finish so quickly. As for silly mistakes - not as any as you'd expect. Non-calculator arithmetic is a VERY handy skill to have, and being a skill, it can be improved.

I suggest you all attempt to sever your relience on calculators.
I can do arithmetic in my head, but the problem is that I don't trust myself. I always use a calculator for peace of mind, despite being able to do it mentally - I guess it's the pressure of the exam that makes me do it. In class I do it in my head, even to the extent that I skip a few lines of working and just write one line after doing it all in my head - not always the best idea :rolleyes:

Trev

stix
HSC
I agree with Slide, it is often much quicker using your 'brain' to do arithmetic questions. Although, even rushed for time, I still have an over-reliance on a calculator :p

firehose

HSC
Yeah same here. I also have the same problem of not trusting my own arithmetic and seem to always need to check using a calculator.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
firehose said:
Yeah same here. I also have the same problem of not trusting my own arithmetic and seem to always need to check using a calculator.
I used to do it in my head then check it with a calculator. But that soon evolved into a situation where I didn't bother to do it in my head at all... :p

firehose

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I used to do it in my head then check it with a calculator. But that soon evolved into a situation where I didn't bother to do it in my head at all... :p
Hehe. We were doing inverse trig at school today, and there were instances where we were supposed to work out the question without using a calcalutor... it really made me realise how reliant i was on it ;) I suppose working out with your head is faster if ur more used to it but otherwise quickly typing something into the calculator could be juz as fast. and lazy too

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
firehose said:
Hehe. We were doing inverse trig at school today, and there were instances where we were supposed to work out the question without using a calcalutor... it really made me realise how reliant i was on it ;) I suppose working out with your head is faster if ur more used to it but otherwise quickly typing something into the calculator could be juz as fast. and lazy too
I guess one instance in which it is much faster to do calculations in your head is for inverse trig i.e. knowing what the sin/cos/tan of different angles equal (and in reverse too)...other than that, I like to use my calculator :p

Will Hunting

HSC
firehose said:
I suppose working out with your head is faster if ur more used to it but otherwise quickly typing something into the calculator could be juz as fast. and lazy too
Nah, man. I'd say get used to it. When it comes down to it, your brain's sorta your last line of defence in all this. Laziness might get you by now, but eventually you'll find youself in a situation where the calc just won't cut it and all that's left is your capacity to think your way out.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I guess one instance in which it is much faster to do calculations in your head is for inverse trig i.e. knowing what the sin/cos/tan of different angles equal (and in reverse too)...other than that, I like to use my calculator :p
even with these,....i like to check them on my calculator.... i dont have enough confidence and h8 losing marks 4 stupid mistakes....

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
dawso said:
even with these,....i like to check them on my calculator.... i dont have enough confidence and h8 losing marks 4 stupid mistakes....
Everyone hates losing marks for stupid mistakes e.g. I lost one mark for putting a - instead of a +, and then I lost two marks in the trials for forgetting to put pi outside the integral for a volumes question...!!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Rench accelerated 3unit and received 96 aligned.

Rench: Droppoing 3 unit English? What's your reasoning? I did the same at the end of prelim.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Rench accelerated 3unit and received 96 aligned.

Rench: Droppoing 3 unit English? What's your reasoning? I did the same at the end of prelim.
Yea, as Velox said I could get 95, 96 or 97 - fingers crossed it's the latter :)
Btw. I didn't expect people would remember my marks, coz I didn't have them up for long... :confused:

As for dropping Ext 1 English:
a) I have 14 units (still haven't officially dropped Ext 1 yet), so the extra 4 or 5 study periods per fortnight would be good...technically I'll have 11 units after dropping Ext 1 coz I've decided not to repeat MX1.
b) Crime fiction is boring as crap.
c) I've figured that I should just try and concentrate on Advanced. After playing around with SAM I calculated that doing Ext 1 would have little or no effect on my UAI unless I got ~46+, which would be virtually impossible given the lack of time I've dedicated towards it :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)