Where do I even start? (1 Viewer)

muramasa

HSC
I've heard all kinds of different things from different people in regards to "how to study" and all that... Especially for maths- despite practice, I only got 45% in my last 2 exams.
Currently, I'm failing maths extension 1 and maths and I have a test coming up in 3 weeks.
I looked over the test papers and despite doing practice, I don't understand it at all.
DO I just do questions over and over to improve or should I do textbook questions and reteach myself everything?

I'm so confused. Could somebody help me?

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
I think it's more important to understand the concepts fully before you attempt past papers.
maybe finish all the textbook questions first and use past papers to supplement your knowledge.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe try with a tutor? Online videos can be good to go over concepts which you do not quite get yet.

Last edited:

User5555555

HSC
Maths is all about practice. Learn your theory, do a few basic questions to get to know the examples and how they work. Then work on past papers and keep doing so until you think you're ready.

User5555555

HSC
Maths is all about practice. Learn your theory, do a few basic questions to get to know the examples and how they work. Then work on past papers and keep doing so until you think you're ready.

muramasa

HSC
OK sure... SO I just do textbook questions?
And then move on to past papers?
Sure... Btw, how much homework does everyone get for maths?
My school teacher actually doesn't give any and I do have a tutor but he isn't that great...

Verify

HSC
I think it's vital that you understand ALL the example questions they solve for you before every exercise in your textbook. After you do understand the examples make sure you aren't solving the exercise based on what you know from the example questions, but instead tell yourself what you're doing and why.
There is no point in doing past papers if you don't understand the concepts fully. I've been in your position before an I know you're in a tough situation but make sure you wholly understand everything you're solving as you go.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Well at our school it varies from 2 hours+ to none set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)