which is harder: modern or ancient history (1 Viewer)

which is harder

• Total voters
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
My apologies. Your comment about 'bsing ancient history' made you look quite ignorant.

IMO I dont like either. In legal studies and religion you can prepare your essays which is much more fair on students who actually do the work.

If I had my time again I would have dropped modern history and done extension 2 english. Both histories is far far too much content. Also your ability to do well depends on access to sources (which because my modern history teacher picks obscure topics, we have none).
lol i think you confused my posts with someone elses... i didn't say you could bullshit ancient... i said you could bullshit the core in modern

you can prepare essays for legal? or at least i can't... i usually just go and write everything that's been recently in the news... it's worked well for me so far

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
yes it would still be an A range essay
in year 11 to aim for 25/25
in year 12 we aim for 30/25
I doubt that, i really really do.

HSC
-may-cat- said:
that makes me sad... no wonder so many people think its shit
Probably why it scales like rubbish.

Man I worry about the next generation of kids. All the dumbos in my year want to do teaching due to the low uai/scholarships available. Once this older generation of teachers cark it we're really going to see standards plummet.

Thank you oh great two party political system in which neither party spends on education/infastructure.

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
lol i think you confused my posts with someone elses... i didn't say you could bullshit ancient... i said you could bullshit the core in modern

you can prepare essays for legal? or at least i can't... i usually just go and write everything that's been recently in the news... it's worked well for me so far
Family - yes

World order - definately

law and society + crime = no.

Edit: I may have confused you, some twat with a lip in their avatar is posting rubbish.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Probably why it scales like rubbish.

Man I worry about the next generation of kids. All the dumbos in my year want to do teaching due to the low uai/scholarships available. Once this older generation of teachers cark it we're really going to see standards plummet.

Thank you oh great two party political system in which neither party spends on education/infastructure.
have a little more faith in humankind, lol. I don't think our generation is dumber, i think they just have different priorities

HSC
-may-cat- said:
I doubt that, i really really do.
lol doubt it all you want
my school tops history every year,
or to quote my teacher who is also head marker for all of history
"we are the best school in the state in history"
so i would say our standard is pretty damn high

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
What school is that?

HSC
-may-cat- said:
have a little more faith in humankind, lol. I don't think our generation is dumber, i think they just have different priorities
Fair enough not all of them are slogging it out for a 99 UAI but still, those who provide education should be those who had a good grasp of it in the first place.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
I am not trying to undermine the prestige of your school or your intelligence, however, if you only study one point of veiw in Ancient, i find it very difficult to believe what you are saying. Perhaps this is because you don't take that subject anymore? you dont know what is required of the HSC ancient course, you only know about prelim?

HSC
-may-cat- said:
I am not trying to undermine the prestige of your school or your intelligence, however, if you only study one point of veiw in Ancient, i find it very difficult to believe what you are saying. Perhaps this is because you don't take that subject anymore? you dont know what is required of the HSC ancient course, you only know about prelim?
Fact: Only question E on the national study requires reference to a source.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Fair enough not all of them are slogging it out for a 99 UAI but still, those who provide education should be those who had a good grasp of it in the first place.
Thats what i mean, different priorites.

And your right, i hate getting teachers who don't know the courses as well as others, especially when their really nice.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Fact: Only question E on the national study requires reference to a source.
seriously? you could write essays without even mentioning a source and still receive full marks, btw, by point of veiw i do not mean sources, though they are closely linked

HSC
-may-cat- said:
Thats what i mean, different priorites.

And your right, i hate getting teachers who don't know the courses as well as others, especially when their really nice.
It sounds so slack but I wish you could elect what teachers you have.

SpoonSamba

HSC
doing my hsc in a month and i fucking hate ancient history

its so just based on sources

and cos the sources r so old ur constantly making a judgement as to whether theyre reliable and then on top of the ancient sources theres modern interpretations which u also have to judge

and its just analysis of a bunch of perspectives on the significance of a pile of rocks

my entire class regrets this subject

and yeh pretty much one topic that we did was julio-claudian roe which means pretty much u have to learn 9 emperors, and i mean LEARN: what they built, how they died, who they had sex with (oh yes), propaganda techniques, image of themselves, image in ancient sources, modern image in recent interpretations of sources

and then the question can be like what was the role of Nero's advisor

and like everything else is just null and void

and thats just a quarter of the course...

so basically NOT RECOMMENDED!

(and modern is far more relevant)

HSC
-may-cat- said:
seriously? you could write essays without even mentioning a source and still receive full marks
You have to mention quite a few (I think the minimum is 4) in the historical period and a few in the last personality question but yeah.

In the exam room they circle the amount of times you wrote 'because' on your paper. The marking criteria is vague 'Gives a detailed explanation of X' - if you use 'bossy words' most of your marks are already there.

HSC
-may-cat- said:

lol yes, but i still have many friends doing ancient who i get to here bitching about the work load in ancient, not the requirements for the essay

electing teachers would be great, but it would just mean more "prestigious schools" (and i use this term very lightly) would get the better teachers, thus widening the gap between the "smart" and "dumber" schools

HSC
SpoonSamba said:
doing my hsc in a month and i fucking hate ancient history

its so just based on sources

and cos the sources r so old ur constantly making a judgement as to whether theyre reliable and then on top of the ancient sources theres modern interpretations which u also have to judge

and its just analysis of a bunch of perspectives on the significance of a pile of rocks

my entire class regrets this subject

and yeh pretty much one topic that we did was julio-claudian roe which means pretty much u have to learn 9 emperors, and i mean LEARN: what they built, how they died, who they had sex with (oh yes), propaganda techniques, image of themselves, image in ancient sources, modern image in recent interpretations of sources

and then the question can be like what was the role of Nero's advisor

and like everything else is just null and void

and thats just a quarter of the course...

so basically NOT RECOMMENDED!

(and modern is far more relevant)
Swap you for modern. Currently at school I'm sitting in a dark classroom watching pearl harbour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)