which is harder: modern or ancient history (1 Viewer)

which is harder

• Total voters

bored of sc

HSC
With the handwriting thing, try pressing down lighter and gliding across the paper (if you already haven't tried this).

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
I thought waiting 4 weeks for non existant stimulus material for journeys was worse :p

-may-cat- said:
i hate that! "you must be writing 5-6 pages per essay" so you come close to destroying your wrist to do it and what do you get? "look at your handwriting! its shocking, how do you expect me to read this?"
I had one teacher count the number of words I wrote :S nighty night! oh and I'm adding you to my BoS friends, yaaay!

HSC
lionking1191 said:
obviously you/your teachers are rather lacking in imagination
Look at the past HSC papers man, the first question is almost always early life whilst the second question is generalised and to do with historical perspectives.

HSC
bored of sc said:
With the handwriting thing, try pressing down lighter and gliding across the paper (if you already haven't tried this).
Or be like me and get a laptop AND 10 extra minutes from BoS!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!11

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
I thought waiting 4 weeks for non existant stimulus material for journeys was worse :p

I had one teacher count the number of words I wrote :S nighty night! oh and I'm adding you to my BoS friends, yaaay!
yay! thats nice of you, and double yay! i found another pack of panidene forte YAAAAY! goodnight

Bainesy

HSC
5-6 pages for an essay is far too much, you would just be waffling on about nothing on pages 5 and 6 (and perhaps even 4) and your writing suffers tremendously, meaning you lose marks even if you knew what you were talking about.

you should be aiming at 3 pages of solid neat writing for any essay, 4 pages if you have time and know the answer well. writing 5-6 pages isnt helping you in the slightest, its just making your writing chicken scrawl

HSC
Bainesy said:
5-6 pages for an essay is far too much, you would just be waffling on about nothing on pages 5 and 6 (and perhaps even 4) and your writing suffers tremendously, meaning you lose marks even if you knew what you were talking about.

you should be aiming at 3 pages of solid neat writing for any essay, 4 pages if you have time and know the answer well. writing 5-6 pages isnt helping you in the slightest, its just making your writing chicken scrawl
We talking A4 or HSC booklet pages?

3 booklet pages is VERY lacking.

HSC
Bainesy said:

5-6 is the bare minimum, ideally you would aim for 7 pages/1100words in 40mins

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
5-6 is the bare minimum, ideally you would aim for 7 pages/1100words in 40mins
HSC marking for advanced english = 6 pages is a 'sustained response'. The majority of full marks my mother gave were 6-7 pages. Most two booklet responses (cept the marking centres which were selective schools) were complete rubbish.

Edit: Nirvana what does your teacher say about the national study question E? they give you a set amount of lines and my teacher tells me you only need to fill those but I always write an extra two booklet pages. Your teacher is the senior marker, what does he/she say?

Last edited:
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
HSC marking for advanced english = 6 pages is a 'sustained response'. The majority of full marks my mother gave were 6-7 pages. Most two booklet responses (cept the marking centres which were selective schools) were complete rubbish.

lol well yes you need to write something substantial, i was implying quality
i didn't realise people right heaps but it's nothing of real substance

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
lol well yes you need to write something substantial, i was implying quality
i didn't realise people right heaps but it's nothing of real substance
I know, there just seems to be a common misconception with top students that they need to produce more then the required for everything (perpetuated by my school's shitty english teachers). If you can show them you can ride the bike once you dont need to show them another dozen times.

also respond to my edit! plz :)

HSC
national study questions?
i'm not sure what you're referring to, give me an example question and i can probably tell you

ancient or modern?

Last edited:

bawd

HSC
I think Modern would have been personally more enjoyable for me. Ancient right now seems very content based. Although there is a bit of argumentative essay writing involved, I think the style of writing involved is rather, ah-hem (no offence intended to AH lovers) juvenile?

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
national study questions?
i'm not sure what you're referring to, give me an example question and i can probably tell you
Apologies for the confusion.

Edit: Nirvana what does your teacher say about the national study question E? they give you a set amount of lines and my teacher tells me you only need to fill those but I always write an extra two booklet pages. Your teacher is the senior marker, what does he/she say?

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Apologies for the confusion.

yeah i saw that... but are you talking about ancient or modern?

HSC
oh right
yeah you have to use the set amount of lines for anything that they give you a set amount of lines

if you know a lot that's fantastic, but you need to learn to express it concisely
OR
you pick the most pertinent points and use them

hope that helps!

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
oh right
yeah you have to use the set amount of lines for anything that they give you a set amount of lines

if you know a lot that's fantastic, but you need to learn to express it concisely
OR
you pick the most pertinent points and use them

hope that helps!
Thanks a tonne!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)