• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

which is harder: modern or ancient history (1 Viewer)

which is harder

• Total voters

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
It sounds so slack but I wish you could elect what teachers you have.
aw, poor teachers, some would get very depressed i think. Others would be pulling their hair out with the stress of having so many students

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
lol yes, but i still have many friends doing ancient who i get to here bitching about the work load in ancient, not the requirements for the essay

electing teachers would be great, but it would just mean more "prestigious schools" (and i use this term very lightly) would get the better teachers, thus widening the gap between the "smart" and "dumber" schools
That gap already exists. My dad is the only decent teacher I know who wants to work in a 400's school.

Zephyrio

HSC
Most of my friends who do ancient and modern think that modern is harder.

They attribute this to the fact that there's more of an urgency, or need to be critical and evaluative than ancient. I don't actually do ancient history (wish I could/did), but I would probably find ancient harder because modern is about argument more than anything else (and not having to remember, say, villas from place X as was the topic of our half yearly ancient paper.)

HSC
-may-cat- said:
aw, poor teachers, some would get very depressed i think. Others would be pulling their hair out with the stress of having so many students
Lol, the latter is my mummy, 11 kids in one room and a full 30 in hers :)

Edit: I should stop bringing my parents into online discussions.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Most of my friends who do ancient and modern think that modern is harder.

They attribute this to the fact that there's more of an urgency, or need to be critical and evaluative than ancient. I don't actually do ancient history (wish I could/did), but I would probably find ancient harder because modern is about argument more than anything else (and not having to remember, say, villas from place X as was the topic of our half yearly ancient paper.)
Thats so odd to me... the way you describe modern is exactly how i would describe ancient

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
That gap already exists. My dad is the only decent teacher I know who wants to work in a 400's school.
i guess it's only going to get worse now that they're planning on removing the points scheme

it is actually interesting to note that when we've had teachers at my school that we've regarded as "low quality" they have been moved elsewhere...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Lol, the latter is my mummy, 11 kids in one room and a full 30 in hers :)

Edit: I should stop bringing my parents into online discussions.
both your parents are teachers? wow, your home sounds... interesting...

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:
i guess it's only going to get worse now that they're planning on removing the points scheme

it is actually interesting to note that when we've had teachers at my school that we've regarded as "low quality" they have been moved elsewhere...
That is very odd considering you're a public school.

camillaxo

HSC
I do both histories and so far I've found Modern much harder. It requires so much more effort when researching and I generally find the standard for Ancient is lower.
With that said though, Modern is definitely my favourite out of the two.

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
That is very odd considering you're a public school.

yeah, but i've heard there have been similar cases have happened in james ruse
guess it shows that the system is flawed

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
everyone is being so bias towards their favourite history, lol :p

HSC
-may-cat- said:
that sux if you hate english. I think i would go insane
I'm okay, advanced is one of my lowest subjects (89 with a rank of 6/184), but the english staff at my school are kinda wacked. I'm topping extension though :D

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
I'm okay, advanced is one of my lowest subjects (89 with a rank of 6/184), but the english staff at my school are kinda wacked. I'm topping extension though :D
all english staff are kinda wacked. i would be worried if they wernt

HSC
-may-cat- said:
all english staff are kinda wacked. i would be worried if they wernt
- They've been marking me down for handwriting all year.
- They don't talk to each other
- They put together segregated classes
- One of them (my teacher) didn't even do his HSC and is banned from teaching advanced english
- They thought that stimulus was going to be issued for journeys this year. I said they wouldn't and got yelled at and we spent 4 weeks doing nothing whilst waiting for the stimulus material to come in.

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
- They don't talk to each other
- One of them (my teacher) didn't even do his HSC and is banned from teaching advanced english
- They thought that stimulus was going to be issued for journeys this year. I said they wouldn't and got yelled at and we spent 4 weeks doing nothing whilst waiting for the stimulus material to come in.
oh dear

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
- They don't talk to each other (they sit separately at school/during marking)
i hate that! "you must be writing 5-6 pages per essay" so you come close to destroying your wrist to do it and what do you get? "look at your handwriting! its shocking, how do you expect me to read this?"

Anyway, my codein is wearing off so im gonna try and go to sleep. i hate the flu ><

lionking1191

HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Definately ancient - there's FAR more content (as many of the questions dont derive from the 'key questions and issues')

for example, they can only ask you about 3 questions in the modern history personality module, in ancient they can ask you about a dozen.

At the same time most modern history teachers are pretty dodge. I'd go with what your school tends to be strongest in.
obviously you/your teachers are rather lacking in imagination

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)