Which one would you choose for front office IB roles? (1 Viewer)

mehhh

HSC
Just finished my first year of Applied Finance/Law (MQ) and am considering a transfer. I've noticed even in first year that if I weren't taking law, I would have MUCH more time to concentrate on my finance subjects. I'm sure with better time management skills I could solve this problem, but given the fact that I honestly have little interest in law, I don't know that the degree is worth completing when I could be graduating earlier with a high commerce WAM. In terms of employability, which of these three degrees would be the best?

Applied Finance/Law @ MQ
Commerce(Finance)/Science(Statistics) @ MQ
Economics(Economics)(Finance) @ USYD

I'm more interested in sales, trading, equities research etc. than I am in m&a- I don't like the sound of spending some of the best years of my life stuck in an office 100hrs a week :p

is a roflcopter
HSC
its not even about the degree anymore
we had superday in london - one of them was in the hong kong ballet's production of the nutcracker.
she got offered.

bladeys

HSC
N/A
its not even about the degree anymore
we had superday in london - one of them was in the hong kong ballet's production of the nutcracker.
she got offered.
She got offered because she was in the play or she got offered because she looked good in a pencil skirt?

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
Just finished my first year of Applied Finance/Law (MQ) and am considering a transfer. I've noticed even in first year that if I weren't taking law, I would have MUCH more time to concentrate on my finance subjects. I'm sure with better time management skills I could solve this problem, but given the fact that I honestly have little interest in law, I don't know that the degree is worth completing when I could be graduating earlier with a high commerce WAM. In terms of employability, which of these three degrees would be the best?

Applied Finance/Law @ MQ
Commerce(Finance)/Science(Statistics) @ MQ
Economics(Economics)(Finance) @ USYD

I'm more interested in sales, trading, equities research etc. than I am in m&a- I don't like the sound of spending some of the best years of my life stuck in an office 100hrs a week :p
if you wanna do trading get into maths, stats, econometrics, finance.
it isnt essential to have a degree to be a trader. spoke to a guy who runs a prop shop (i know its not an investment bank) and he said some of his traders dont have degrees
also start up a trading account and trade, a lot of the people who go for trading jobs have proven successful trading abilities which is a huge advantage... read up on it too before you lose all your money

is a roflcopter
HSC
She got offered because she was in the play or she got offered because she looked good in a pencil skirt?
i think they go hand-in-hand.
she told me she got offers from 6 other banks.

mehhh

HSC
if you wanna do trading get into maths, stats, econometrics, finance.
it isnt essential to have a degree to be a trader. spoke to a guy who runs a prop shop (i know its not an investment bank) and he said some of his traders dont have degrees
also start up a trading account and trade, a lot of the people who go for trading jobs have proven successful trading abilities which is a huge advantage... read up on it too before you lose all your money
I'm not too snobby or anything, I know my chances of working in an investment bank or even a prop shop are slim but it would be shame not to try. That's something I've been meaning to get around to doing, but I don't have the money to do it, brokerage fees and all...I traded for a few nights on a NYSE simulator, but haven't found a decent one for the ASX. Would employers take a good record on a trading simulator/the ASX game seriously or not?

Also, it turns out USYD won't do credit transfers for most subjects, so I'm staying at MQ now, which is cool with me because I really like it there. Leaning towards Com(Finance)/Science(Stats) now, or possibly even Applied Finance/Economics.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I'm not too snobby or anything, I know my chances of working in an investment bank or even a prop shop are slim but it would be shame not to try. That's something I've been meaning to get around to doing, but I don't have the money to do it, brokerage fees and all...I traded for a few nights on a NYSE simulator, but haven't found a decent one for the ASX. Would employers take a good record on a trading simulator/the ASX game seriously or not?

Also, it turns out USYD won't do credit transfers for most subjects, so I'm staying at MQ now, which is cool with me because I really like it there. Leaning towards Com(Finance)/Science(Stats) now, or possibly even Applied Finance/Economics.
http://www.stockwatch.com.au/

Also, FX if you're interested http://www.investopedia.com/fxtrader/secure/home.aspx#axzz2I2sWEs00

Lavanderpie

Banned
HSC

I surely hope you are joking.

Would a gaming company care about a persons high score on Pacman? Of course not.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i dont think you need to trade for real but you need to speak eloquently about what you look for in a stock and what you think the share price drivers are and your thoughts on the future.
So having a good record on ASX game is good but you need to be able to explain how you did it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)