Which Selective School? (1 Viewer)

Amogh

HSC
N/A
just go wherever you live. where do you go now? selective schools aren't that much better than normal public schools, so i wouldn't bother if i were you. caringbah is pretty easy to get into. i got in in year eleven with decentish marks, but i also got straight in in year seven [obviously didn't go] and that helped a bit probably.
I currently go to a randomo partially selective school-Alexandria Park Community School. It isnt even ranked in HSC list. lol. Though quite a few students made it to girra from my school, in year 11.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I'm sorry, but if you can't scrape a distinction in the UNSW tests (most of which are dead easy), I wouldn't bet on getting in. However, don't let that discourage you, you can always try.
I forgot to mention that i did get distinctions in the UNSW tests.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow at Caringbah High School, academics and sporting. Heres a theoretical question, concerning my friend, lets say academically at school he achieves a position in the top ten for all or most of your subjects (yes, he knows that the school he attends is a dependant factor) and he is a state basketballer. Will his chances of making it into a selective high school improve dramatically or just slightly (because usually selective schools are more focused on academic success) due to his sporting achievements?

Amogh

HSC
N/A
James Ruse. Every other school isn't good enough. Trust me.
I would gladly go to ruse if i could, but i doubt i have any reasonable scope of making it. Especially because they don't have any test for admission in year 11.

Last edited:

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Same predicament as me, I've selected Hurlstone and Fort Street and still indecisive about placing an application form for Sydney Tech because my parents aren't going to drive me that far to sit a test. Only option is public transport on a school day to Bexley and Petersham. I hope its worth it since my school is ranked in the 400s and as "clintmyster" exclaimed, the selective schools will discriminate - juxtaposing my report to a person's school which is ranked in the 200s. I'm definate that an "A" at my school is not similar to an "A" at a selective test because for one, the 5.3 Mathematics test at my school is dead easy, the teacher provides students in my class with a revision sheet (a mere mimicry of the real test however the numerals are altered, yes I know - WTF!) and the students in my class would just blatantly revise that sheet only, instead of studying the outcome. I'm pretty sure thats an infringement against the BoS rules. However me and a few people in the class detest this and refused to do the revision sheet. The students that used the revision as their guide acquire a percentile of 100 but when its comes to the AMC Test they struggle and the other people in the class prevail. Thats retribution right there.
Is Hurlstone any good? would they take many people in?
I think they only take a few students..
so ye pretty hard to get in
i'll see you at the fort street test then XDD
game on. lmao. :)

lol i'll have to go to any of the tests on my own. My parents are like you have to be independent and all..

and wtf? you should appeal to your principal about this test instance.

Last edited:

Amogh

HSC
N/A
Wow at Caringbah High School, academics and sporting. Heres a theoretical question, concerning my friend, lets say academically at school he achieves a position in the top ten for all or most of your subjects (yes, he knows that the school he attends is a dependant factor) and he is a state basketballer. Will his chances of making it into a selective high school improve dramatically or just slightly (because usually selective schools are more focused on academic success) due to his sporting achievements?
I suppose so. state basketballer and top ten is quite a good balance.

Last edited:

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
if you like sport, caringbah is def the best selective, we are academic and good at sport, obviously the best school
lol, here goes the argument again about which public school is best at sports :D

Apply for Sydney Boys and IMO he'll have a good chance - they look for basketballers ( they play GPS basketball) and having a decent academic report would definitely help.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
not really. potentially at caringbah because you need to give in your report and what you've been involved in in high school, but it shouldn't affect it.

our school isn't that good at sport btw, it's just that we're better than everyone else in the shire except endeavour.

don't bother trying out for caringbah Amogh unless you're desperate. travelling that far will just put strain on you, and you can use the time for self teaching which will ensure you get a better mark.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
I would gladly go to ruse if i could, but i doubt i have any reasonable scope of making it. Especially coz they dont have any test for admission in year 11.
That's where excellent reports come in.. Plus academic competitions. They try to take some of the best students from the lower ranked schools who apply.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
lol, here goes the argument again about which public school is best at sports :D

Apply for Sydney Boys and IMO he'll have a good chance - they look for basketballers ( they play GPS basketball) and having a decent academic report would definitely help.
lol. sydney boys will do anything to actually beat another gps school at something apart from academics. the sad thing is that the only time cranbrook actually wins anything is when they play trials against sydney boys.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
lol. sydney boys will do anything to actually beat another gps school at something apart from academics. the sad thing is that the only time cranbrook actually wins anything is when they play trials against sydney boys.
Most of these abbreviations I don't understand, lol. Whats GPS? Global Positioning System? O_O

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Is Hurlstone any good? like would they take many people in?
coz I think they only take a few students..
so ye pretty hard to get in
i'll see you at the fort street test then XDD
game on. lmao. :)

lol i'll have to go to any of the tests on my own. My parents are like you have to be independent and all..

and wtf? you should appeal to your principal about this test shit
I take up you challenge for Fort Street. :)

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Most of these abbreviations I don't understand, lol. Whats GPS? Global Positioning System? O_O
lol GPS, stands for greater public schools. It's a sporting competition between private schools such as Grammar, Kings, Ignatius and the only public school, Sydney Boys.

TBH, Sydney Boys are don't do well in some sports (like rugby lol), but are decent in some sports.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
So which one wuold you recommend i apply to...
nbhs OR sefton OR hurlstone

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Try out for Hurlstone and I challenge you, again. Strives me to work harder, any competition is good competition. :)

q3thefish

HSC
This is the appropriate response.
Why waste time traveling to your selective school or meeting the school's obligations which are tougher and at times unnecessary compared to your nearest high school?
Because being elitist is awesome.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
This is the appropriate response.
Why waste time traveling to your selective school or meeting the school's obligations which are tougher and at times unnecessary compared to your nearest high school?
Its just the challenge and the environment that make it worthwhile
why just stay in a public school where your not even close to your actual potential.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
not really. potentially at caringbah because you need to give in your report and what you've been involved in in high school, but it shouldn't affect it.

our school isn't that good at sport btw, it's just that we're better than everyone else in the shire except endeavour.

don't bother trying out for caringbah Amogh unless you're desperate. travelling that far will just put strain on you, and you can use the time for self teaching which will ensure you get a better mark.
I really need someone to push me. I can self study for jack. so ye..
guess i am desperate for caringbah
o and ftw, the principal said last year that i'll definitely get admission in year 11 XDD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)