Which Selective School? (1 Viewer)

Amogh

HSC
N/A
hello
i was planning on applying to caringbah, girraween, fort street and north sydney boys. (inorder of priority) for year 11.
Which other schools would you recommend i apply to?

Last edited:

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
What's your current school? Your results at your current school may just reflect the standard of your school, e.g. 90% at your school will differ to a 90% at say, a selective school in a subject like maths.

From memory, Sydney Boys High and James Ruse don't require tests to get in. They base your application on your report, but you must have either a strong academic background or in the case of High, a sporting talent or an all round ability.

K

khorne

I'm sorry, but if you can't scrape a distinction in the UNSW tests (most of which are dead easy), I wouldn't bet on getting in. However, don't let that discourage you, you can always try.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Go girra =P

Your chances really will depend on the rank of your current school. When I got into girra I was VERY fortunate because my old school was ranked in the 400's whereas we had people from school like cheltynwm girls get in as well. Getting in the 90's though you may think is great and all, they discriminate big time because of the school. Its not very fair but you can see why they do it.

Of the schools you mentioned, probably north syd would be the hardest to get into, followed by Caringbah, girra then Fort street but thats just based on school rankings.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Same predicament as me, I've selected Hurlstone and Fort Street and still indecisive about placing an application form for Sydney Tech because my parents aren't going to drive me that far to sit a test. Only option is public transport on a school day to Bexley and Petersham. I hope its worth it since my school is ranked in the 400s and as "clintmyster" exclaimed, the selective schools will discriminate - juxtaposing my report to a person's school which is ranked in the 200s. I'm definate that an "A" at my school is not similar to an "A" at a selective test because for one, the 5.3 Mathematics test at my school is dead easy, the teacher provides students in my class with a revision sheet (a mere mimicry of the real test however the numerals are altered, yes I know - WTF!) and the students in my class would just blatantly revise that sheet only, instead of studying the outcome. I'm pretty sure thats an infringement against the BoS rules. However me and a few people in the class detest this and refused to do the revision sheet. The students that used the revision as their guide acquire a percentile of 100 but when its comes to the AMC Test they struggle and the other people in the class prevail. Thats retribution right there.

Last edited:

jules.09

HSC
To tell you the truth, it doesn't really matter where you are at, so long as you are sure to achieve your personal best. In saying that, selective schools are much better in that the environment is invaluable and conducive to excelling in your studies.

But if you are to transfer, just remember, the hsc is about hard work, and selective schooling is competitive; make sure you don't drown because I know a fair few people who have found their transition devastating and difficult.

I'd vote for whatever school is closest to home. :p

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Same predicament as me, I've selected Hurlstone and Fort Street and still indecisive about placing an application form for Sydney Tech because my parents aren't going to drive me that far to sit a test. Only option is public transport on a school day to Bexley and Petersham. I hope its worth it since my school is ranked in the 400s and as "clintmyster" exclaimed, the selective schools will discriminate - juxtaposing my report to a person's school which is ranked in the 200s. I'm definate that an "A" at my school is not similar to an "A" at a selective test because for one, the 5.3 Mathematics test at my school is dead easy, the teacher provides students in my class with a revision sheet (a mere mimicry of the real test however the numerals are altered, yes I know - WTF!) and the students in my class would just blatantly revise that sheet only, instead of studying the outcome. I'm pretty sure thats an infringement against the BoS rules. However me and a few people in the class detest this and refused to do the revision sheet. The students that used the revision as their guide acquire a percentile of 100 but when its comes to the AMC Test they struggle and the other people in the class prevail. Thats retribution right there.
I'm just making a guess; if your school report is red hot, and you go to a lowly ranked school, or a not so academic one, I think the school will look at your marks/certificates that you attained in competitions, as they are more of a fairer indicator of how you achieve.. so they can kind of compare it with everyone else. So IMO, external exams (competitions, etc.) might play a deciding factor here... If its based on academic selection (not sport, music etc.)

Travel times, well if you do get to the stage where you are offered a place, I'd seriously consider whether or not using all this time to get to a selective school is worth it.. But I guess that's something to consider later this year.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm just making a guess; if your school report is red hot, and you go to a lowly ranked school, or a not so academic one, I think the school will look at your marks/certificates that you attained in competitions, as they are more of a fairer indicator of how you achieve.. so they can kind of compare it with everyone else. So IMO, external exams (competitions, etc.) might play a deciding factor here... If its based on academic selection (not sport, music etc.)

Travel times, well if you do get to the stage where you are offered a place, I'd seriously consider whether or not using all this time to get to a selective school is worth it.. But I guess that's something to consider later this year.
Hurlstone: I can take a T-Way bus from my house (approximately a minute awat) to Liverpool station (approximately 8 minute journey) then to Glenfield station (approximately 11 minute voyage). Twenty minutes all together, closest school to me. LOL @ Fort Street, would probably need to wake up at around 7.

h3ll h0und

HSC
im pretty sure u can get into girraween next year if u get a good HAST result...i came from the same school as you and got in :D im not so sure about the other schools though.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
im pretty sure u can get into girraween next year if u get a good HAST result...i came from the same school as you and got in :D im not so sure about the other schools though.
What is the HAST result?

riya03

HSC
AJ, just wondering what were your school reports like?

q3thefish

HSC
Try Hurlstone, we get to play with farm critters.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
Just stay with your local high school.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
James Ruse. Every other school isn't good enough. Trust me.

Last edited:

pman

Banned
HSC
if you like sport, caringbah is def the best selective, we are academic and good at sport, obviously the best school

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
just go wherever you live. where do you go now? selective schools aren't that much better than normal public schools, so i wouldn't bother if i were you. caringbah is pretty easy to get into. i got in in year eleven with decentish marks, but i also got straight in in year seven [obviously didn't go] and that helped a bit probably.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
if you like sport, caringbah is def the best selective, we are academic and good at sport, obviously the best school
yeah. we own all the other shire schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)