Which subjects for HSC? (1 Viewer)

Horrific2310

HSC
Right now I do : 2unit maths, ext 1 english, modern history,chem, bio, visual arts and studies of religion 1.
Seeing as I have 14 units I want to drop something now.. I'm thinking to drop maths.
I want to do medicine but maths is my worst subject (stupid logic but I am very good at the sciences )
Should I drop maths now and do a bridging course for uni? :confused:

Also, for HSC which subject combo if maths is not included:
chem, ext 2 english, modern, history ext, sor 1, visual arts

or
chem, bio, modern, ext 2 english, visual arts, sor 1

Thankyou ! :)

enoilgam

HSC
Hang onto maths for as long as possible, in order to reduce the amount of catch up you need to do before uni. Then later down the track drop the subjects. With regards to the subject combo, which subject do you think you can excel at more; history extension or biology?

Horrific2310

HSC
Thankyou for your advice, enoligram :)
Umm well ext history is a lot of work and research and bio has a very long syllabus :L
The advantage with ext history is that the major work is done at your own leisure as opposed to under a stressful exam time-constraint situation and so I tend to do better in tasks of that description. However, I love the HSC biology course as it is focused on the human body, hence why I want to pursue medicine ....and apparently it is very helpful for med in uni .... So I'm a bit stuck there.
I want to both but I have found I don't manage spreading myself thin over a vast range of subjects well as I have discovered by taking 14 units for year 11 :L Otherwise I would just take both and have 13 units?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Your reason for dropping is "Oh no I have 14 units, better drop one"?

That's a very poor reason to drop a subject, to be blunt.

Horrific2310

HSC
Your reason for dropping is "Oh no I have 14 units, better drop one"?

That's a very poor reason to drop a subject, to be blunt.
No, my reason is I am and will never be good enough for a band 6 as I have'nt got that much time to dedicate to the subject. So, why continue?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh so the time reason. If you want to do medicine, and you don't like maths - I'm going to disagree with enoilgam.

You don't need maths for medicine, I don't think.

enoilgam

HSC
Oh so the time reason. If you want to do medicine, and you don't like maths - I'm going to disagree with enoilgam.

You don't need maths for medicine, I don't think.
I think some medicine courses have it as assumed knowledge but I might be wrong. If they dont, then disregard my previous advice and drop it.

Horrific2310

HSC
None of them have it as assumed knowledge but apparently you will need it for graduate studies and such :L
Chem is all the is stated as needed.
However, if I don't get into medicine as it is difficult to get in in the first place, I'll have to do a science degree first. That'll require maths...

enoilgam

HSC
None of them have it as assumed knowledge but apparently you will need it for graduate studies and such :L
Chem is all the is stated as needed.
However, if I don't get into medicine as it is difficult to get in in the first place, I'll have to do a science degree first. That'll require maths...
Good point. I would probably drop maths then. Also, maybe keep bio and pick up extension history. After you have done them for a term or so then drop - you will have a far better perspective then as opposed to deciding from right now.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't really need maths for medicine, but I think bio and chem are very beneficial.

Honestly, if you're good at the humanities and thinking of doing history extension over bio then maybe you wouldn't really like med since it is fundamentally biology.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, you can do any degree and then do med.

Just do arts and do humanities and take first year biology, chemistry and physics as electives, get a C average and you'll be set for postgrad med.

gahyunkk

HSC
i can't actually give u helpful advice cuz i'm in y10 at the moment can i ask you something about visual art?
Currently I have to select my y11 subjects.. so I'm considering between visual art and Design Technology(home economic)
I do love hand drawing rather than using software but i'm just worrying about visual art theory... and its essay..!!
Isn't hard to write an essay about random plate/topic on exam?
(even though they learn about general techniques but how can they write an ESSAY about the plate that they havn't seen before!)

sorry for not answering ur questions but i'm soooooo confusing about my subject selection....

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Right now I do : 2unit maths, ext 1 english, modern history,chem, bio, visual arts and studies of religion 1.
Seeing as I have 14 units I want to drop something now.. I'm thinking to drop maths.
I want to do medicine but maths is my worst subject (stupid logic but I am very good at the sciences )
Should I drop maths now and do a bridging course for uni? :confused:

Also, for HSC which subject combo if maths is not included:
chem, ext 2 english, modern, history ext, sor 1, visual arts

or
chem, bio, modern, ext 2 english, visual arts, sor 1

Thankyou ! :)
If I were you, I would do the subjects that I enjoy, are best at and will know that it will score me well in the HSC.

It seems you hate Maths and don't do it if you don't enjoy it (Many people do Maths solely because it scales quite high or whatever- but yeah you should think about this carefully), although you are more than capable of getting into Medicine with that subject combination.

I suggest you choose your HSC subjects wisely and choose the best you feel comfortable with, study hard also!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)