Which uni for finance degree ? (1 Viewer)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Anonymou5 said:
Ride you sound like that moron I was arguing with who jumps onto every high school related statement as if it's an insult without properly reading what has been said.

Seraphim had not said that selective high school = you're hired. Let me break down what he said for you.

- banks hire 'good' people

- those 'good' people tend to come from certain schools

Despite what your inferiority complex may lead you to think, there was no assertion that quality candidates only come from selective schools. But rather, that such candidates tend to come from those schools. There was nothing to suggest that you can't be a high quality candidate if you come from a public school.
^ This guy is right.

Ride, you so spilt your nerves. I think you need to seek counselling if it hurts that much.

Off-topic now, but your high school doesn't mean much because ultimately, people compete (relatively) equally on the battleground known as the HSC.

I don't know how they recruit for jobs in finance (with much more prejudice I assume...) but at least in accounting, your highschool is not one of the things HR look at.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
RideTheLightnin said:
It also means jack shit in university. Youre probably one of those people who prides themselves on going to a selective school, thinking its going to get you "street cred" in uni. Rid yourself of elitism you pompous prick, uni isnt about how big your (high school) academic dick is, cos no one gives a shit. Sure, theres lots of selective/private school people at uni, but it doesnt make a difference upon graduating....its what the individual puts in NOT what PREVIOUS institution that individual went to....if that person made it into the degree they have every right to be there.
Hey look at it this way.

I was speaking to a friend the other day who works at a respectable accounting firm that I'm sure all local accounting students (no faith in international students, really) have heard of.

Anyway, when he first started grad work, he went around asking people who joined in his year what school they went to and he finally realised something. Some 90% of the people went to the same schools: the boys' club private schools (think Sydney Grammar) and the selective public schools (think James Ruse or Melbourne High).

Maybe it's just because the elitist degrees at elitist universities are made up primarily of private school and selective public school students anyway. Look it doesn't matter. The point is going to a good high school obviously impacts on your career.

About time we faced reality, peoples. I completely agree with Seraphim and Anonymous. If you can't understand that, that's fine. Feel free to send your kids to some dodgy high school thinking they'll have equal opportunities to become a surgeon or dentist.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
hmmm...

I went top20 selective but my closest public school has failed to achieve a single band 6 in some years. There's obviously a trend there.

I put it down the environment. I don't think its the highschool itself but the influence that emanates from the people who go there...

It'd be much easier studying when every other schoolmate is also studying, and it's much harder to see yourself as a suit when everybody you know wears a fluro jacket to work. I think the word I'm looking for is entrenchment.

Then again I guess 'who will my kid be going to school with' would be one of the more influential choices in choosing a highschool for them.

xclo

HSC
Conspirocy said:
exactly ur going to lie so they think your smart go for a good school like Sydney Grammer.
boss: hi, i read ur resume and i'm really looking forward to employing you.

you:eek:h, no worries *smiles, shakes his hand, thinks i've nailed this interview*

boss: i heard you were from sydney grammar, is that weird, so was i. i still remember Mr. Amati and his good old jokes. who was ur favourite teacher?

you *shit!!*: um... Mr... Abagnale?

boss: Abagnale? er... we'll call you back

imthunder

HSC
So does that mean there is no point in me going to maquarie for commerce? I don't think I can get a UAI of 95...

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
To be honest, from what i personally think, i think what managers and HR looks for when they hire people in your team is your ability of getting along with the team. That is because a real effective team is a team that trusts in each other and gets along well with each other.

And what will be more better than getting people in the same school as you?, don't get me wrong, i went to a public school and i noticed at work too that people went to private and selective high schools too, but in the end its really how well you get along with your team that you're in. Because in the end, a degree is a degree, if so many people graduate, they'd want unique people.

I'm not sure if finance firms are like this, but my sister was from macquarie with pass/credit avg but still got into an IB firm. i'd say in the end is the timing on how lucky u can be :p

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
omg why is this website soo slow, must be all the HSC people flooding the website on -_-

Last edited:

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
lol business people, so stupid regardless which uni you went to
hahahah, tradesman are stupid even if they do a engineering degree LOL, thats why engineers are usually drunk low lifes

pete_mate

HSC
since when does the high school matter, it's never brought up in an interview.

however,

High school = what uni you get into,

unless of course you were the only kid who didn't turn up to class drunk and swear at your teacher, who managed to get 95 in your public school, but odds are against you.

Uni does matter as that hilarious UTS quote illustrates.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
bukwow said:
To be honest, from what i personally think, i think what managers and HR looks for when they hire people in your team is your ability of getting along with the team. That is because a real effective team is a team that trusts in each other and gets along well with each other.

And what will be more better than getting people in the same school as you?, don't get me wrong, i went to a public school and i noticed at work too that people went to private and selective high schools too, but in the end its really how well you get along with your team that you're in. Because in the end, a degree is a degree, if so many people graduate, they'd want unique people.

I'm not sure if finance firms are like this, but my sister was from macquarie with pass/credit avg but still got into an IB firm. i'd say in the end is the timing on how lucky u can be :p
Which department did she get into though? If its operations/tech, then its not surprising.

Rorix

HSC
Don't think Macq would give you a first round with pass/credit average. (for any front office position)

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
i dont know what front office is to, sounds crap though hhehehe

Rorix

HSC
Front office positions are people that make money for the bank (e.g. sales, trading, corporate finance). Back office is like HR, data entry, record keeping, the people that format the printing etc.

and FYI when you see "banking & financial services" on a salary survey thats not representative of what people in investment banking are getting paid. That's including people like the clerk that takes your money at the Commonwealth. Investment banking (corpfin) starts on 85k+ base with big bonuses.

Rorix

HSC
Hakz said:
so will i be back office

Who are you?

EDIT: Well, if you're doing IT, your job is probably in India. But yeah it is termed back office.

is a roflcopter
HSC
HEY
any of you "front office" people know anything about watches

im keen to make a purchase for xmas

anyone know anything about baume & mercier? any good? will i convince people im front office too?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)