Which uni for finance degree ? (1 Viewer)

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
Who are you?

EDIT: Well, if you're doing IT, your job is probably in India. But yeah it is termed back office.
Nah i will work here in Aus as there is heaps of jobs for business analyst/ project management. If u check seek.com.au, IT jobs are the most avaliable.

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
I've never chosen a career based on how many jobs there are available. Surely you consider yourself good enough to get a job, even if there are few available. That would seem even better.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
I've never chosen a career based on how many jobs there are available. Surely you consider yourself good enough to get a job, even if there are few available. That would seem even better.
Well i just want to work in Australia, i dont like travelling across the world lol. I actually didnt know that there was heaps of jobs avaliable in the IT/telecom field until a few months ago, its quiet suprising.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Newbie said:
HEY
any of you "front office" people know anything about watches

im keen to make a purchase for xmas

anyone know anything about baume & mercier? any good? will i convince people im front office too?
imo go for Patek Phillipe or Piguet if you've rich. That's class. Besides, watches are very good investments. Automatic ones of course. None of this battery crap since they're crap. I was just listening on radio the other day about how much these self-winding watches go up in value after say 30-40 years. They're antiques. Imagine you became the next Donald Tsang too, that watch would be worth whoa.

Going down market, head for TAG. Personally I would just wear my ordinary seiko because it's all too expensive for me. I hear Baume is okay, along with Omega.

Avoid Rolex at all costs in HK.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
OMG IT and Telecommunication is only 8ks off engineering..............and we dont have harsh jobs and big responsibilities lol. Thanks for the info Musk, but i still believe like accounting and other commerce stuff will still get more average pay.

Last edited:

pete_mate

HSC
Omnidragon said:
lmao. Human Resources has a higher maximum than engineering? hahahahahahahhaa

rofl

but engineering has a higher average.

Engineering starting salaries are pretty high compared to business, but i imagine business overtakes in the long term signifcantly, whilst engo has a ceiling.

Is this correct?

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
pete_mate said:
but engineering has a higher average.

Engineering starting salaries are pretty high compared to business, but i imagine business overtakes in the long term signifcantly, whilst engo has a ceiling.

Is this correct?
ye thats what i was thinking, i doubt average accountants get is 75k

is a roflcopter
HSC
Omnidragon said:
imo go for Patek Phillipe or Piguet if you've rich. That's class. Besides, watches are very good investments. Automatic ones of course. None of this battery crap since they're crap. I was just listening on radio the other day about how much these self-winding watches go up in value after say 30-40 years. They're antiques. Imagine you became the next Donald Tsang too, that watch would be worth whoa.

Going down market, head for TAG. Personally I would just wear my ordinary seiko because it's all too expensive for me. I hear Baume is okay, along with Omega.

Avoid Rolex at all costs in HK.
if i ever win powerball this is what im looking for

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Hows a commerce (finance)/law degree from wollongong? Its my local uni and id love to stay at home, but still get a good degree. Reckon u could still get "front office" poitions- i know a few who have got great jobs out of it.

Conspirocy

HSC
to whoever was making the silly point about how a salary survey doesnt capture the overseas pay and job prospects

well thats a stupid argument. most survey's dont capture that effect.

accounting ---> jobs in london pay higher most people leave after 3 years; so i guess that's quicker than the 5 for engineers

Dubai ---> gee i wonder where half of macquarie bank's expansion plans are ----> they would never be sending people overseas

omg i mean they even advertsie for grad jobs in singapore, hong kong, south east asia, etc etc and u would definetly get paid more there than here

saying the survey doesnt capture the true mean salary for engineers only is just one sided ---> arent u meant to be an engineer??

danny_tq

HSC
imthunder said:
So does that mean there is no point in me going to maquarie for commerce? I don't think I can get a UAI of 95...
been a while since Ive been to this forum.....was just lookin at graduate salaries some how stumbled across this...on exchange in sweden atm...weird..

anyway
I did Commerce/Law at mq, when to a normal high school (not selective or private). IMO mq is slightly better recognised than UTS for business/finance, though its is minimal.

Going to mq, will not hinder your chances of getting a good position at all, people at unsw or usyd may have a slight advantage for most roles, but its minimal (e.g. at EY there were so many ppl from MQ and UTS). The only 'big' advantage that usyd/unsw Commerce students have is in high level front office roles e.g. investment banking, trading etc

About me; I held a part time accounting position in a small firm (these positions are actually kind of competitive) for nearly 2 years, I did my summer internship at Ernst & Young in Tax consulting....and now have a graduate position with ANZ Institutional as a Credit Analyst (front office). SO mq potential students dont worry, if I can manage to scrape a few decent offers, you can!, I don't have the best grades in the world either (high credit for commerce, low credit for law).

It is true, a large portion of people working in large firms e.g. pwc, ey, mq bank et etc are from Private schools or selective schools, but a sizeable portion went to a normal school like me!

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
What is a competitive remuneration package for a sales/trading (front office) grad position in an international investment bank (rates/FX desk)? More precisely, what should I be expecting in terms of base salary and the potential bonus ?

Any advice would be much appreciated (To give you some perspective on my own expectations, I've looked at middle office quant jobs. Their starting salaries start from 75k but no bonus)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)