which uni is 'best'? (1 Viewer)

yiwank

Chief Executive Member
HSC
According to the world university ranking's by Shanghai Jiao Tong University and published in the Times in 2006, the Australian National University is ranked the best in Australia, coming 54th in the world. Melbourne follows coming 78th and University of Sydney comes 102nd.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
yiwank said:
According to the world university ranking's by Shanghai Jiao Tong University and published in the Times in 2006, the Australian National University is ranked the best in Australia, coming 54th in the world. Melbourne follows coming 78th and University of Sydney comes 102nd.
Other rankings give entirely different lists. I don't really think you should pay them much attention.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Rankings are based on the level of research done

ANU wins because its existance is research
if that's the case, undergraduates don't get as much education benefits as their prestige imply they do. So I would think that realistically the ranking would only apply to postgraduates. They're the ones doing all the research.

phrred

HSC
shanghai jiao tong ranking sucks because its over biased for US unis even if theyre shit

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
All the rankings suck because prestige can't be measured by adding up some numbers.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
_dhj_ said:
All the rankings suck because prestige can't be measured by adding up some numbers.
It can, just need to define what prestige means.

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
It can, just need to define what prestige means.
I get the impression it means the selected few when you apply to unis definition. That's all.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
it can only be measured by asking hsc students
qft i guess :p

my uni is the best.. :) and to me thats all that matters :D

Evilo

HSC
ANU does well it those Time University Rankings - from memory it was the best in Australia.

I'm not saying that the rankings should be a reason to choose ANU. Choose a Uni that has a course suited for you - not the other way around.
Regards EvilO

Matt Samson

HSC
a-m-e-e-e said:
which uni has the highest reputation, in general? like, which ones are the really prestigious ones?
Why does it really matter?

Depends on the course you're planning to do.

While the University of Sydney might be good for Medicine, it is worse for Engineering compared to UNSW. While Charles Sturt University is excellent for Journalism, it is worse than Sydney University when it comes to straight Arts.

You really should be focusing on what university is best for what YOU want to do.

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A
Within NSW in terms of prestige (private unis such as Australian Catholic and Notre Dame excluded):

Tier 1: Sydney (slight edge in front of...), UNSW
Tier 2: UTS, MQ, Newcastle, UOW
Tier 3: UNE, CSU, SCU
Tier </3: UWS

UWS law. Better than Harvard and Oxbridge.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sinist4 said:
^ u cant really say that, because it depends on the course that one does.
ffs! what a circular argument. i haven't visited this thread since page one, but we are talking about PRESTIGE. Prestige isn't necessarily course-based.

You may be doing B Science at MAQ and it may be a far better course, but a person who does B Science at USYD, even if it a horrible horrible quality course there, will be going to a more prestigious university, and will thus have a more prestigious degree.

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A
sinist4 said:
^ u cant really say that, because it depends on the course that one does.
Says the person attending a 2nd tier uni.

And stas is right. Prestige is the general perception of the uni, which usyd has over proletariat institutions that name themselves after 'technology' but cannot get a powerpoint to work during the Bacc revue.

Misnomer, yes.

donnytuco

tuco
HSC
lovethehsc said:
Says the person attending a 2nd tier uni.

And stas is right. Prestige is the general perception of the uni, which usyd has over proletariat institutions that name themselves after 'technology' but cannot get a powerpoint to work during the Bacc revue.

Misnomer, yes.
got troll?

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
bsically i went to usyd to put B.Eng. (Syd.) in post-nomials next to my name (and only that or UNSW offered ChE and unsw is like 20 mins extra, gh3y)

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
magpam said:
AHAHAHAHA

I'd laugh so hard if the only uni you could make it to was UWS.
What's so funny about him realising what the better unis are? Do you go to UWS?

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
stazi said:
ffs! what a circular argument. i haven't visited this thread since page one, but we are talking about PRESTIGE. Prestige isn't necessarily course-based.

You may be doing B Science at MAQ and it may be a far better course, but a person who does B Science at USYD, even if it a horrible horrible quality course there, will be going to a more prestigious university, and will thus have a more prestigious degree.
so which has more prestiage in sydney..degree in actuarial studies in macq or in syd....? noobozorous rex...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)