which uni is more prestigious: MACQ OR UTS?????? (1 Viewer)

theloorloor

HSC
N/A
Which university is more prestigious Macq or UTS.

I dont want answers like "oh it doesnt matter" blablabla

avro

HSC
Would depend on the degree chosen. Probably relatively on par with each other in terms of prestige after USYD/UNSW.

M

MichelleV

Prestige of a university is not the only factor by which people are given jobs.

I would say that most people would consider UTS and Macq to be on par with one another regarding these degrees. If you wanted to be irrationally nitpicky, UTS purely because the ATAR requirement is higher..

converge

HSC
N/A
As avro said, it depends on the degree chosen. In terms of business/commerce degrees MACQ has a slight edge over UTS in terms of prestige. But if you are talking engineering, UTS would definitely outclass MQ. Can't really comment on science, arts and the like.

rayy_bann

HSC
Prestige of a university is not the only factor by which people are given jobs.

I would say that most people would consider UTS and Macq to be on par with one another regarding these degrees. If you wanted to be irrationally nitpicky, UTS purely because the ATAR requirement is higher..
The "higher ATAR" argument is invalid. ATAR requirements arise from demand/supply of the course, which may link to the location of the university.

UTS is in the city. Macquarie is in Ryde. Essentially, more people want to go to the city. But it doesn't in any way correlate directly to prestige. Take for example ANU. One of the most reputable, Australian universities! Many of its course offerings have ATAR requirements way below course cutoffs in cities such as Sydney and Melbourne. This is because its located in the ACT and not many people live/go/want to go there.

To measure prestige, one needs to take into account many factors such as university research/accomplishments, state of the university, teaching staff etc. However in saying that, whilst UTS is on par with Macq, many university ranking sites (honestly you only have to search the internet) accounting to such 'factors' say that Macq is generally more "high" in ranking than UTS.

e.g. http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings/

Last edited:

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Kaz what uni do u go to?
I'm doing a Business Diploma in TAFE didn't get the ATAR for uni, hope to transfer to B Comm somewhere.

I say they are not prestigous when because when someone says I do x course at Macquarie/UTS you don't go "omfg u r so smart" (Actuary at Macq may be an exception).

But prestige is pretty bs and I would be glad to get into B Comm anywhere.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm doing a Business Diploma in TAFE didn't get the ATAR for uni, hope to transfer to B Comm somewhere.

I say they are not prestigous when because when someone says I do x course at Macquarie/UTS you don't go "omfg u r so smart" (Actuary at Macq may be an exception).

But prestige is pretty bs and I would be glad to get into B Comm anywhere.
not sure if srs

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
UTS is a big boss in Nsw, but outside Australia or even outside Nsw people won't know much about it thats when you look at the rankings and hey Macq is ranked higher. For commerce, arts, science, psychology, medical (audio,chiropractic) I believe Macq. But courses like engineering Uts is more recommended and if you want to do accounting/IT then arguable Uts sounds more attractive with their work experience diploma of professional practice but you can also do the same at Macq with the city campus's work experience thingy.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Harvard.

Seriously what type of stupid thread is this? I've known many seniors who've gone to universities in obscure places who have done well earning salaries on par with those who graduated from the more 'prestigious' well known universities in Australia.

Attend Open Days, ask questions and read thoroughly into your course. If you don't like it there's always the option of a transfer. In the end it's the effort you put into your degree that counts.

is a roflcopter
HSC
I always used to rank them

1. UNSW
2. USYD
3. UTS
4. Macq

but not sure if thats changed in the last 5 years

davdav, you cant just cherry pick samples to prove a generalization. you answered it yourself, im sure the average harvard starting salary is higher than say UWS for example.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
I always used to rank them

1. UNSW
2. USYD
3. UTS
4. Macq

but not sure if thats changed in the last 5 years

davdav, you cant just cherry pick samples to prove a generalization. you answered it yourself, im sure the average harvard starting salary is higher than say UWS for example.
Cherry pick samples to prove a generalisation LMAO then am I to take a census of tertiary educated graduates in Australia then? A sample is more than representative of a trend which is that a mix of good grades, experience in the field and a solid resume/cv can guarantee most graduates a position in industry of choice. Are you really placing emphasis on university name over all this? Ridiculous.

Rankings are meaningless as they are done based on qualitative data prone to individual subjectivity. You can argue Harvard is the best university in the world but that would be meaningless to those attending MIT, Stanford, Oxford etc who'd think different.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As someone else mentioned in the thread, the question is how do you define 'prestige'. Realistically (on a global scale at least) neither are particularly prestigious.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)