which uni's give exemptions with getting in Uni a with advanced diploma?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
hello people,

Im half way through my Advanced diploma of Business Management with a diploma of international business, in which i complete in january.. im doing it at martin college... i was wondering which uni's will give exemptions to a business degree?? im also interested in international studies at UNSW.... has any made it in uni with their advanced diploma, if so which uni and how much did you get exempted, also what was your GPA??

im currently on a credit average, and im looking at going to UNSW commerce or USYD commerce and im looking at doing International business at macquarie uni... any help would be much appreciated...

is it hard to get into these uni's with a advanced diploma? and also i have done my HSC last year and my UAI was real crap 42.00 ... so when i apply for uni , would i have to show what uai i got?? lol .... i have recently done voluteer work for event management and marketing, im also in my councils youth committee.. would this give me a higher chance in gettin me into the aboves uni's?? ...

ANY help would be sooo good. thanks, i have 2 weeks holidays and i got 2nd semester coming up.. i'd like to know if i should study harder n i gotta choose my preferences soon so i need advice any will help

X

xeuyrawp

little-rat-boi said:
hello people,

Im half way through my Advanced diploma of Business Management with a diploma of international business, in which i complete in january.. im doing it at martin college... i was wondering which uni's will give exemptions to a business degree?? im also interested in international studies at UNSW.... has any made it in uni with their advanced diploma, if so which uni and how much did you get exempted, also what was your GPA??

im currently on a credit average, and im looking at going to UNSW commerce or USYD commerce and im looking at doing International business at macquarie uni... any help would be much appreciated...

is it hard to get into these uni's with a advanced diploma? and also i have done my HSC last year and my UAI was real crap 42.00 ... so when i apply for uni , would i have to show what uai i got?? lol .... i have recently done voluteer work for event management and marketing, im also in my councils youth committee.. would this give me a higher chance in gettin me into the aboves uni's?? ...

ANY help would be sooo good. thanks, i have 2 weeks holidays and i got 2nd semester coming up.. i'd like to know if i should study harder n i gotta choose my preferences soon so i need advice any will help
Heya. You're gunna get people saying this, so I'll make it me.

With a UAI of 42, perhaps you should stay where you're doing well? Difficulty of any course is set at the level people can handle, and the popularity. Since your course would be popular for people with lesser academic ability, and it's less popular, you'll find the work is easier. My point is that a credit at Martin (although I'm saying this without knowing, but it's rational) would not be a credit at UNSW or Sydney- maybe you should stick with martin?

With a UAI of 42, I'm guessing either you had major problems (which I can sympathise with) or you're not the academic type. UNSW / Sydney Commerce degrees are VERY impressive on a resume. Not only because they're hard to get into, but hard to complete.

If you're passionate about something, there is nothign better than having a crack at it, so I'll move away from "why you may want to reconsider" towards "your chances".

Minai will be the best at answering this, but as an observation, standing in ANY tertiary degree gives you more of a chance at getting into uni. You have to remember that 1. Sydney and UNSW com are prestigious (and pretentious) and they may be harder to get in with. There's also the fact that you're not doing a Bachelor, but rather a Diploma. If I read correctly, you're doing two diplomas? Probably more good stuff for you.

I'll say it how it is. If I was getting a credit average in Bus at macquarie, I wouldn't be able to transfer into either sydney or NS. Since you're finishign your degrees, you may have more of a chance. After doing a Bachelor, they'll look at your grades in that, but I'm not sure about a diploma. We'll need to flag Minai in here.

Anyway, there's no harm in speaking to somebody at syd or NS, and I'd probably refrain as much as possible mentioning your UAI because it'll reduce any chances.

Your co-curricular activities mean nothing at UNSW (according to a transfer thread I read), and I doubt they would at Syd either. They would at Mac, because you can accompany your prospective entry with a letter saying why you want to do the degree.

At macquarie, I guarantee you they'd look at your achievements within your diplomas, but I think it's doubtful with the metro unis.

Good luck, and hopefully minai will come into here.

klh

HSC
UWS will alos allow diplomas as well as UTS readily....many other unis as well but you seem th etype to stick with the city unis?
so maybe consider them too...

X

xeuyrawp

klh said:
UWS will alos allow diplomas as well as UTS readily....many other unis as well but you seem th etype to stick with the city unis?
so maybe consider them too...
What's that mean? "will allow diplomas"- as in what? They will see you have a Diploma, and just let you in?

HSC
great help thanks..

yeah, i've been thinking, maybe im asking for abit too much with UNSW and USYD... MACQ is more a realistic uni i could make it in.. you think???

yeah with my low uai... 42.00 :'( i didnt try at all and regret it totally.. so yeah..

im doing two diploma's in one, one being Advanced diploma of Business Management and the other being a diploma on international business... credit average is what i have at the moment, i will do my best to get distinction average by the time i finish next year in january

i REALLY enjoy international business subjects.. thus making me more want to do an international business degree at macquarie or the others ;)..

i think with my preferences for 2006 1st semster i will just place UNSW first just incase then USYD and Macq being 3rd.. and so on.. i like UNSW and USYD as you said they do look so much better on resumes and i've heard both uni's offer a greater emphasis on international business subs.. macq's one of the only uni's close to my area that offer international bus as a degree alone... so yeah im moving more towards macq.. being 3rd on my list..

"They would at Mac, because you can accompany your prospective entry with a letter saying why you want to do the degree" can you ellaborate on this.. how would macq read my letter when i have to do a application through UAC?? where can i get more info on this... i really think macq's the uni for me..

Thanks for you help

X

xeuyrawp

little-rat-boi said:
yeah, i've been thinking, maybe im asking for abit too much with UNSW and USYD... MACQ is more a realistic uni i could make it in.. you think???

yeah with my low uai... 42.00 :'( i didnt try at all and regret it totally.. so yeah..

im doing two diploma's in one, one being Advanced diploma of Business Management and the other being a diploma on international business... credit average is what i have at the moment, i will do my best to get distinction average by the time i finish next year in january

i REALLY enjoy international business subjects.. thus making me more want to do an international business degree at macquarie or the others ;)..

i think with my preferences for 2006 1st semster i will just place UNSW first just incase then USYD and Macq being 3rd.. and so on.. i like UNSW and USYD as you said they do look so much better on resumes and i've heard both uni's offer a greater emphasis on international business subs.. macq's one of the only uni's close to my area that offer international bus as a degree alone... so yeah im moving more towards macq.. being 3rd on my list..

"They would at Mac, because you can accompany your prospective entry with a letter saying why you want to do the degree" can you ellaborate on this.. how would macq read my letter when i have to do a application through UAC?? where can i get more info on this... i really think macq's the uni for me..

Thanks for you help
You're welcome, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

If you applied at Macquarie, they would look at your credit average in the Diploma and your letter. I'd put a brief mention of why you didn't go into uni directly (say you had troubles and your UAI was hence low)

HSC
UWS is not a uni that i will be applying for.. my brother and sister have gone there and they have both told me that the other uni's in the city area are much more worth trying to get into..

ok.. thanks dudes

X

xeuyrawp

little-rat-boi said:
UWS is not a uni that i will be applying for.. my brother and sister have gone there and they have both told me that the other uni's in the city area are much more worth trying to get into..

ok.. thanks dudes
Yes but hunny, you got a UAI of 42. You can't really be picky.

klh

HSC
i did say UTS as an option to consider...not just UWS.
"will allow diplomas" as in will allow them as an entry requirement/criteria..
although its said UWS isnt an option for you, UWS's criteria is that your highest marks are the only ones taken into consideration e.g. if your diploma marks are much higher than your UAI or STAT or work experience, than only your diploma marks are taken into consideration.
UTS will look at your diploma marks as well as to staisfy the minimum entry criteria, according to the uac guide.

X

xeuyrawp

klh said:
i did say UTS as an option to consider...
UTS will look at your diploma marks as well as to staisfy the minimum entry criteria, according to the uac guide.
Excellent. Thanks for the info, repped:)

Good news for little-rat-boy then:)

klh

HSC
i apologise for any inconvenience...

edit: no offense but little-rat-boy, what did they say about UWS?
just interested...

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
UTS will give exemptions for an advanced diploma from TAFE, provided they are relevant. Usually, its a maximum of 24cp though (half a year).

As for allowing entry, well you're in the same boat as every other person applying to uni as a non-recent school leaver. They'll look at your marks as well as your personal statement that you write to them, so make sure you remember to submit a personal statement when you do your UAC application well.

HSC
thanks guys that is heaps of help...

a got a question again..

when doing my UAC application, it cant be online because i have to lodge a personal statement which means it has to be a posted application .. am i correct??? or is it actually going to the uni and applying there...

i'm think Macquarie is more a business orientated uni and is more internationally recognised than UTS as from what i can see from recent rankings ... Macquarie being 68 in the world and UTS being 114 or something close to that..

but ill be placing UTS in my preferences for sure..

thanks guys for the help any more is appreciated

X

xeuyrawp

little-rat-boi said:
thanks guys that is heaps of help...

a got a question again..

when doing my UAC application, it cant be online because i have to lodge a personal statement which means it has to be a posted application .. am i correct??? or is it actually going to the uni and applying there...

i'm think Macquarie is more a business orientated uni and is more internationally recognised than UTS as from what i can see from recent rankings ... Macquarie being 68 in the world and UTS being 114 or something close to that..

but ill be placing UTS in my preferences for sure..

thanks guys for the help any more is appreciated
I think you could apply online and post the statement. I dunno. I'd honestly ring up Macquarie before you posted that in. Talk to some academic advisor or something, then ask where to send the letter. They might note down that you're passionate.

With which uni is better, I'd check out which one you like more. Hav eyou been to both campuses?

HSC
yeah, macq is not as city like as UTS... and my college is in the city.. i'd rather macq as it is a little more different and bush like.. more of a peaceful looking uni...

UTS gets a plus for being close to the station lol macq will take me 40mins to drive and probly and hour by train then bus

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You apply online via UAC and post/give your personal statement directly to the uni.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, UNSW and USyd are pretty notorious with diploma's and anything in general thats lower than a bachelor degree - I wouldn't recommend trying to get in to those uni's with just diploma marks as generally, they wont consider them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)