White subjects for Yr 11 for good ATAR ? (1 Viewer)

loverice

HSC
Hi everyone,

My school is getting close to HSC Year 11 subject selections for next year (currently am in year 10), and i was wondering which are the best subjects to take to get the best ATAR in 2012 ?

I like math and am currently doing well in it. My school only offers Advanced English so thats easy. I would like to take one of economics or business as i love the commerce i'm currently doing. Other than those subjects there isn't really anything else i "prefer", so i should be able to do well in any subject compared to any other. Which subjects should i choose to get a descent ATAR ?

Is there any guide out there as to what sort of HSC marks i need to get in 2012 to get say 99+ ATAR ?

Thanks in advance!

Affinity

HSC
Ext 2 maths
Adv english
Economics
Business studies
+Hist

To get 99 you will need
You will neeed mid to high 90s across the board or similar

twistedrebel

HSC
nigga bro, white people cant get 70+ you ll have to do
TVET construction
general maths
std english
PDHPE
visual arts

then after HSC get a appertience ship

lil_pembo

HSC
Languages always give a huge boost.
Same with studies or religion 1 or 2 unit (which is more like a history)

loverice

HSC
Apologies i missed the title despite reading it twice - school library isn't the best place ! First time poster please be nice :)

And wow i didn't realize how active this place is, i was recommended here by a friend. Now i know where to go for my HSC questions.

Thanks heaps everyone. If i had to pick one of chemistry or physics, which one will give me an edge assuming i do equally well in rank and mark in my school ?

absorber

HSC
You are going to want to read this.

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2009_table_A3.pdf

This table tells you all you need to know about how stuff is scaled; which is what I assume you mean by 'edge'. According to that, chem is slightly better.
Scaling is stupid. It's in place BECAUSE some subjects are harder than others. hence getting 90 in chem might be equiv to getting 92 in modern, because modern is 'easier' (an example).
But if that's the case, if you could get 90 in chem you could get the equivalent in modern.

In other words, ignore scaling. Do the subjects which you are most talented in, and which you enjoy the most. Enjoyment is pretty important in getting a good ATAR

Popcorn311

HSC
haha 'white subjects' - i'm white and plan on doing Ext2 maths - am I screwed? lol

loverice

HSC
Thanks everyone ! Okay so currently lined up are,

-Advanced English
-Economics
-Business Studies
-Physics
-3U Math (going up to 4U later)

pretty much settled on all except business, which despite my liking i read it isn't too well scaled for the ATAR. I know i could do well, but i'd rather do well in a well scaled subject. Are there any other suggestions to language courses ?

twistedrebel

HSC
Thanks everyone ! Okay so currently lined up are,

-Advanced English
-Economics
-Business Studies
-Physics
-3U Math (going up to 4U later)

pretty much settled on all except business, which despite my liking i read it isn't too well scaled for the ATAR. I know i could do well, but i'd rather do well in a well scaled subject. Are there any other suggestions to language courses ?
if you change eng to std we have exact same subjects

20Ten

HSC
Play to your strengths and select subjects accordingly. Don't pick subjects rashly just because they 'are the best'.

kyokaku92

HSC
Hi everyone,

My school is getting close to HSC Year 11 subject selections for next year (currently am in year 10), and i was wondering which are the best subjects to take to get the best ATAR in 2012 ?

I like math and am currently doing well in it. My school only offers Advanced English so thats easy. I would like to take one of economics or business as i love the commerce i'm currently doing. Other than those subjects there isn't really anything else i "prefer", so i should be able to do well in any subject compared to any other. Which subjects should i choose to get a descent ATAR ?

Is there any guide out there as to what sort of HSC marks i need to get in 2012 to get say 99+ ATAR ?

Thanks in advance!
Ignore scaling, it's only there to "scare" people. Insecurity and fear of scaling is what causes people to do "high" scaling subjects and suffer the consequences for it...

I would recommend that you pick subjects you are good at and enjoy, you'll guarantee to do well and get a high ATAR ... :)

chw

HSC
N/A
check out HSC Scaling, How HSC Scaling works, Information on HSC Scaling - Dux College for a very detailed analysis of the NSW HSC scaling system.

Then read HSC Scaling and Choosing Subjects - Dux College for which subjects give you the most

Then once your eyeballs retract back into their sockets, look at HSC Scaling Statistics - Dux College

To quote:
Quick facts

• In the past 3 years ('08 '07 '06), Maths Extension 2 was the highest scaled 'mainstream' subject (we are aware that occassionally some language subjects like Classical Greek Extension scales even higher).
  • Mathematics Extension 1 scales MUCH better than English Extension 2.
  • Of the 3 sciences, Chemistry scales the highest, followed closely by Physics, then Biology.
  • Economics and English Advanced scale about the same as Physics and Chemistry.
  • Mathematics Extension 1 and 2's scaling increased in 2008!

Finally one more hint:
* Most universities will offer bonus marks (usually up to 5) if you do specific courses. For example, doing Math Extension 1, and getting band E4, will give you an extra +2 marks to your UAC HSC score! Engineering often give you +2 if you are female etc.
* Be aware that medicine has different criteria, and requires interviews and a seperate exam to enter now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)