who Actually likes english? (1 Viewer)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
I certainly would drop english if i had the opportunity,
i enjoy math so much more, its much more of a challenge.
english stinks but its there so we have to deal with it!
But why don't you like English?
Isn't it because of the difficulty of it? Or do you just find it boring?
I like maths because, yes, it's challenging, but also because I can do it.

chano800

HSC
Cannot agree more. That man's writing is plain bad. Boring. Mundane. His poetry is so blatant that even my dog can figure out what he's on about. It doesn't make you think.

Kind of like Stephenie Meyer, I reckon.
ye. freakin skrzynecki killed it
i hate poems and to make it worse, we get his crappy ones
when i was writing a essay on related texts and poems, i found that i had so much more to say and was enjoying writing the related text parts way more than the poems

jules.09

HSC
I have this love/hate relationship with English.

I like to think of the English course as.. 'Express-Philosophy'.

It's thought provoking, undoubtedly. However, there is this underlying.. monoculture. But in essence, you can challenge what the teacher says, so long as you can substantiate it.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
well said jules.
english is the only subject worth doing in high school

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
i'd so drop the current HSC English course if it were'nt compulsory, but i'd consider keeping it if the whole course is revised ie:
- take out the area of study and all other bullshit which is irrelevant eg. shakespeare
- focus on the fundamental English skills - reading, writing, proper grammar

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
Actually it's pretty good. Don't people like reading a wide variety of material these days?

jellybelly59

HSC
English has its ups and downs. I just get really ticked off when i work so hard on an assessment and it doesn't pay off. English is very subjective especially when it comes to creative writing, but the worst thing is the obscruity of the marking guidelines.

pinkyforce7

HSC
I generally like English, but now its starting to get on my nerves because my English teacher can't teach for shit. She expects that after we study our text a little (for instance we are covering Module B with prose fiction at the moment) we will be able to write an excellent in-class essay in about the space of 45 minutes without any previous practice or preparation.

We can't sort all our ideas about the text in 5 minutes and then write a perfectly constructed essay. We NEED practice first.

Anyone else have a shitty English teacher?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Well, teachers have different styles of teaching, I suppose.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
I enjoy quite enjoy English. Bio and PDHPE are far too content based. Maths gets too repeative and Chem stresses me.
I think it is interesting and it does help to be able to construct answers and have the ability to express youreslf well in other subjects.

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
I have this love/hate relationship with English.

I like to think of the English course as.. 'Express-Philosophy'.

It's thought provoking, undoubtedly. However, there is this underlying.. monoculture. But in essence, you can challenge what the teacher says, so long as you can substantiate it.
Extension, yes. Advanced, heck no. Advanced English is too prescribed to be individual, yet still has an undoubted element of subjectivity.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
English is probably the 2nd most boringest (if thats even a word) subject in the world after studies of religion 1u...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I generally like English, but now its starting to get on my nerves because my English teacher can't teach for shit. She expects that after we study our text a little (for instance we are covering Module B with prose fiction at the moment) we will be able to write an excellent in-class essay in about the space of 45 minutes without any previous practice or preparation.

We can't sort all our ideas about the text in 5 minutes and then write a perfectly constructed essay. We NEED practice first.

Anyone else have a shitty English teacher?
um, its called studying?

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
YESSSSSS@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i remember once when i made almost 9 drafts of this essay before handing it in. and i got 11/20. lol felt like crying in front of the teacher.
Ah, it's a harsh world.

Reading the marking guidelines really do help, as vague as they may seem. You should also pay close attention to what you're rewriting in drafts.

... Are you from JR, by the way?

HwaHwa

HSC
I would love to drop it..if it is not a compulsory subject..

novelle

HSC
cant say im exactly fond of it..
but thats only coz i suck lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)