Who else can't find work? (1 Viewer)

Nashie

Ace up my sleeve
HSC
did a huge resume drop for bar work today and no apparent interest (filled out some apps but i think that is standard at those places)

It sucks having no bar experience (only RSA) and they seem to ignore my other experience (in retail) that got my myer job in like 15 seconds flat

why can't maccas open a bar section cause then they need people over 18

HSC
Is there anyone willing to submit a link to their resume (change the names for security sake of course) so that we can see how a successful one looks like? So far I've been told a lot of conflicting messages....like a resume should be a brief, 1 page stunner to a resume ought to be endless pages of brags.

Thanks in advance! :)

flaminwaffle

HSC
Well... I got a job! Video Ezy :D
congrats mate. how'd you end up getting it?

i'm in a similar position to you. applied online and i handed out 10 resumes at my local shopping centre today. glad to know there's still some hope out there.

KarmaKitten

HSC
Is there anyone willing to submit a link to their resume (change the names for security sake of course) so that we can see how a successful one looks like? So far I've been told a lot of conflicting messages....like a resume should be a brief, 1 page stunner to a resume ought to be endless pages of brags.

Thanks in advance! :)
Resume should never ever be endless bunch of pages. Most employers/HR Managers will not bother going through all that stuff.

Briefly: You need a STUNNER cover letter and then a maximum of two pages for your resume. Your resume should outline your work/education/skill experience. But devote your attention to writing a good cover letter.

While in your cover letter you should sell yourself adequately, trying to keep in mind the position you are going for. Honestly, when I was working in HR, we'd immediately cut out 50%-60% of applications because of poorly written or inadequate cover letters. Just because YOU don't think the job is much, doesn't mean the employer wants some half assed attempt of a resume. Don't give out the exact same cover letter for every position you apply for.

Other than that, apply apply apply.

JB10

HSC
congrats mate. how'd you end up getting it?

i'm in a similar position to you. applied online and i handed out 10 resumes at my local shopping centre today. glad to know there's still some hope out there.
Thanks. I put my resume in about 2 weeks ago. One of my mates works there and I asked him to put in a word for me, which he did.. It just so happened that they were looking for someone to run the store because the 2 'managers' are starting Uni this year. 80% luck just like finding any job I think :)

HSC
I'm pretty much in the same boat, except I have a year of office experience and its still tough... I worked in Human Resources and I know from experience that a lot of the time when you hand in your resume, it just goes on a pile and never gets looked at. You need to apply when they've actually advertised a job. A lot of people want online applications these days.. so maybe try going to the websites of the places your interested in working and see if they have any positions vacant. Plus try seek and mycareer.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I'm pretty much in the same boat, except I have a year of office experience and its still tough... I worked in Human Resources and I know from experience that a lot of the time when you hand in your resume, it just goes on a pile and never gets looked at. You need to apply when they've actually advertised a job. A lot of people want online applications these days.. so maybe try going to the websites of the places your interested in working and see if they have any positions vacant. Plus try seek and mycareer.

i guess all you gotta do is apply everywhere and hope for the best ^__^
also it'd be good to increase your skills by doing courses like RSA/RCG and getting a first aid certificate.

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
I have no idea how... buy my resume (I think) looks good. I haven't had any experience before though - so what do I write in my cover letter? :(
What do you think the job requires? Customer service, ability to deal with frustated people, teamwork, a positive outlook etc. Show that you recognise that these are the requirements and outline how it is you have them. Be positive about the position.

When I applied to work at a burger shop I said I had been there frequently and wanted to join their team because they seemed energetic and fun, and I thought I'd be a great fit.

Stuff like that.

madsam

God among men
HSC
Ha, chumps

I've had a woolies job for the past 2 years
Getting sick of it, and i emailed about 15 places on about monday, already 2 callbacks. Mwahaha!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
For a fairly basic retail/sales assistant type job think more around 250

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
Do they care about your extra-cirricular activities - e.g. Duke of Ed, sport, volunteer work which shows that you have leadership skills + can work in a team? Should that even go in cover letter or only in resume?

(I'm trying to draw as less attention to the fact that I haven't had a job before)

Haha, only half to cut down :eek:
I think they'd be interested in that. If you're quite young, they might not necessarily have expected you to work before - in any case, the sort of job you're after is quite basic. Things like volunteer work and Duke of Ed are perfect to make up for it, so I'd say put it in both your cover letter (regarding how it relates to the skills you can bring to the job) and details of dates, accomplishments etc in your CV.

I'd write about half a page (properly formatted, not just written straight) for a job like that. Whatever word count that is, I don't know.

HSC
N/A
oh god.

i just applied for sizzlers and lonestar.

*collapses onto floor*

both my sisters used to work there and from a young age i was put off working there because of every rant that they did. so i avoided them. and now i just applied to work there. oh man.

to me this is so weird. the reason why i never applied for fast food (kfc/maccas) was because my sisters used to work at hungry jacks and mum has always told me "nah u wouldnt want a job in fast food, oh the grease and the smell is foul!" i think i was brainwashed as i grew up.

hmmph. well im desperate so might as well settle for sizzlers or lonestar....

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
oh god.

i just applied for sizzlers and lonestar.

*collapses onto floor*

both my sisters used to work there and from a young age i was put off working there because of every rant that they did. so i avoided them. and now i just applied to work there. oh man.

to me this is so weird. the reason why i never applied for fast food (kfc/maccas) was because my sisters used to work at hungry jacks and mum has always told me "nah u wouldnt want a job in fast food, oh the grease and the smell is foul!" i think i was brainwashed as i grew up.

hmmph. well im desperate so might as well settle for sizzlers or lonestar....
Aww man! Well at least it's a job. Good on you for applying :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)