shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
wow.. 450.
I've got a 300 word cover letter and im applying for ofice roles. =p

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
Ok since bos is being a massive pain and I can't upload my application letter, I'll post it. Also had name, number etc on it. Handed it in alongside the letter of recommendation I got from my boss. Oh and MSW says the wordcount is 181 or so.

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is _______ and I am interested in finding part time/casual work. I am 18 and have completed my HSC at ________________.

I am currently working at ________, where I have worked for 3 years. My roles include selling product to customers, producing _______ products, cleaning the store, working as a team to fulfil tasks and assuming a leadership position in the absence of a boss or higher qualified employee. I am looking for work elsewhere as I am no longer guaranteed enough work to save money for later on. (Do not put anything negative here e.g. I don’t get along with my boss)

As I will be enrolling with ______________ in March this year, I am not sure of my timetable during the semester at the moment and hence my availability. However, I am willing to work up to 4 days per week till then. During Uni, I am still willing to work approximately 10 hours per week. (This has now changed as I have my timetable)

Yours Sincerely,

(signature here)

____(name here)______________

SpoonSamba

HSC
I JUST GOT A JOB! IM SOOOOO HAPPY! YAYYYYYYYYY

MONTHS AND MONTHS OF FRUITLESS SEARCHING

*jumps in glee*

SpoonSamba

HSC
Ward Clerk at a private hospital ...where my mum happens to work

Im really lucky it pays really well, I had mum who found out about the job in the first place and so they knew I didnt have much experience so I didn't have to lie about it, and I made a good impression at the interview and one good referee, and also i could do the days they were desperate for staff for.

Dont give up everyone! I applied at about 70 different stores and was rejected by all of them. And most of them were much shitter jobs than the one I just scored, so just be persistent! (And also beg everyone you know to try n find you a job)

KarmaKitten

HSC
SpoonSamba, your experience is very similar to mine. I got my admin officer/telephonist position at my hospital through my mum as well. She found out about it and told me to apply, I didn't think I'd get cause I had no hospital experience. But because they were so understaffed and I was willing to work some odd shifts, I got it.

So try and go outside the retail/restaurant areas and you might find something quite suitable.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Ward Clerk at a private hospital ...where my mum happens to work

Im really lucky it pays really well, I had mum who found out about the job in the first place and so they knew I didnt have much experience so I didn't have to lie about it, and I made a good impression at the interview and one good referee, and also i could do the days they were desperate for staff for.

Dont give up everyone! I applied at about 70 different stores and was rejected by all of them. And most of them were much shitter jobs than the one I just scored, so just be persistent! (And also beg everyone you know to try n find you a job)
lmao wow

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Resume should never ever be endless bunch of pages. Most employers/HR Managers will not bother going through all that stuff.

Briefly: You need a STUNNER cover letter and then a maximum of two pages for your resume. Your resume should outline your work/education/skill experience. But devote your attention to writing a good cover letter.

While in your cover letter you should sell yourself adequately, trying to keep in mind the position you are going for. Honestly, when I was working in HR, we'd immediately cut out 50%-60% of applications because of poorly written or inadequate cover letters. Just because YOU don't think the job is much, doesn't mean the employer wants some half assed attempt of a resume. Don't give out the exact same cover letter for every position you apply for.

Other than that, apply apply apply.
I'm pretty much in the same boat, except I have a year of office experience and its still tough... I worked in Human Resources and I know from experience that a lot of the time when you hand in your resume, it just goes on a pile and never gets looked at. You need to apply when they've actually advertised a job. A lot of people want online applications these days.. so maybe try going to the websites of the places your interested in working and see if they have any positions vacant. Plus try seek and mycareer.
How did you guys find working in HR?

Lydia_88

HSC
Ok since bos is being a massive pain and I can't upload my application letter, I'll post it. Also had name, number etc on it. Handed it in alongside the letter of recommendation I got from my boss. Oh and MSW says the wordcount is 181 or so.

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is _______ and I am interested in finding part time/casual work. I am 18 and have completed my HSC at ________________.

I am currently working at ________, where I have worked for 3 years. My roles include selling product to customers, producing _______ products, cleaning the store, working as a team to fulfil tasks and assuming a leadership position in the absence of a boss or higher qualified employee. I am looking for work elsewhere as I am no longer guaranteed enough work to save money for later on. (Do not put anything negative here e.g. I don’t get along with my boss)

As I will be enrolling with ______________ in March this year, I am not sure of my timetable during the semester at the moment and hence my availability. However, I am willing to work up to 4 days per week till then. During Uni, I am still willing to work approximately 10 hours per week. (This has now changed as I have my timetable)

Yours Sincerely,

(signature here)

cool :)..maybe i should use this if i wanna look for a second job :)

audioxdoll

HSC
Well i just got a job at gloria jeans. My friend works there and told me they were desperate for people...
I think the best thing for everyone to do who is having trouble is ask EVERY SINGLE PERSON YOU KNOW if their work is hiring or if they know of anywhere.
If you can get a job through a friend it might be alot easier and alot less rejection. Good luck!

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Had a job interview for SDS this morning. lol. Don't even know whether I want the job. The staff all look like such dropkicks.

FutureSight01

IS NOT ASIAN!
HSC
Well i just got a job at gloria jeans. My friend works there and told me they were desperate for people...
I think the best thing for everyone to do who is having trouble is ask EVERY SINGLE PERSON YOU KNOW if their work is hiring or if they know of anywhere.
If you can get a job through a friend it might be alot easier and alot less rejection. Good luck!
Which area was this in? Also do you need a barista course to work there?

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Had a job interview for SDS this morning. lol. Don't even know whether I want the job. The staff all look like such dropkicks.
aaaaaahahaha i can't imagine you working there.
but good luck i guess.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC

To Whom It May Concern:

Yours Sincerely,

(signature here)

Some tips:
If you can, find out the name of the person you are addressing the cover letter to and write "Dear (Name)"

Cover letter shouldn't just be regurgitating the resume - it should address the finer details of the job you're applying for and why u should be considered. Remember - if you have a crap cover letter - they won't bother reading your resume.

I am looking for work elsewhere as I am no longer guaranteed enough work to save money for later on. (Do not put anything negative here e.g. I don’t get along with my boss)
That has negative implications - that you'ren ot a hard worker or whatever. it's better to say that you want to obtain a greater number of skills and yeah.

Other stuff that is kinda wrong with it, but yeah. If you wnat me to send you my cover letter- just PM me. I don't want it on the internet so that firms think i copied it off the net. ==

Darkenedjib

HSC
After 3 months 10 applications and 4 interviews I have found work, it's the most satisfying feeling in the world :). All those nights of fixing up my CV and digging into the depths of Seek and Linkme paid off. Those people who are still searching - don't give up, there are always new opportunities!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)