Who got screwed over by Ext2 English? (1 Viewer)

Skryp

.The Master.
HSC
Yeah well like we can make all the judgements we want of the markers but I reckon the real degrading factor lies in the roots of the system which is the scaling structure. If this thing didn't exist, the whole thing would be a whole lot fairer. Go and type your marks into the S.A.M and swap your English subjects for maths and see what happens...... :) surprise, surprise. what a joke ay.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
What are you talking about? The scaling structure is what makes the system fair.

05er

HSC
kyu_chan said:
Oh my god!! Me soooo too!! >_<;;;

I got over 90's for my assessment marks and all... Internal mark was supposed to be 47/50... but got 40/50 (and I still don't understand why)... while teachers and mates really like my story and all, I only got 34/50 externally... I'm soooo frustrated!!!!

I need a recheck.
Maybe your work was just really angsty and shite.

I know my strung-together, 2-week rush job paid off. That 48/50 gave me a total of 49/50 for the course and a UAI of 99.8 for sure.

Skryp

.The Master.
HSC
_dhj_ said:
What are you talking about? The scaling structure is what makes the system fair.
^ Says "Ms. Maths Ext 2 & Ms. UAI 99" ....Oh k...you go and take Maths out of your UAI and exhange it for another subject...give yourself the same marks and tell me whether your UAI goes up or down?...

DoOOown. What makes you better just coz you do Maths and not Art? YOu have to study both and work your ass off in both....so why is one rewarded more than the other? Put some of those maths students in an art room and they would get Zero, much the same if you put the Art ones in the Maths room.

What does this tell you? That different people have different brains and should be marked on the work they do IN a subject...not pre-marked by some crappy scaling system just because their brain doesn't work in the same way as another.

HSC
I was really surprised by my ext2 result as well but in the opposite way. I didnt even do half the work the other girl in my class did but i ended up in the same band as her. Its true about ext2 being subjective. I got 41/50 which was much more than I expected... especially since my teacher did not estimate anywhere near that. I guess the subjective markers work in the other way as well... I feel like I fluked the subject.

On the other hand the opposite thing happened to me in drama which is my best subject but was the worst in the HSC. My group and individual were marked by three hsc drama teachers and all were convinced I was guaranteed a band 6 but this wasnt the case in the actual HSC. Once again its all about the subjective marking. Its just one more of the unfair things about the HSC that we cant help!

Kutar Maggi

They call me nigga man
HSC
i completed my MW from irtually start to finish in the last 4 weeks. The whole year i just worked on my journal and ideas and then under pressure i was able to produce something that got 49/50 externally (47/50 HSC mark). i gather from the others that got 45+ that they were in similar situations. trust me, writting transforms into ART AND GENIUS when the author is under pressure, good advice take it or leave it.

Cripple Crow

HSC
Hearing stories of people starting and finishing their major work in the last 4 weeks and getting great marks ( 40+) depresses me :( . I spent all year on mine and put in so much hard work and got a lousey 33.

CelticKelis

Okay I am a little pissed off cause I did slave away at my major work for an entire year and while my teachers thought it was the best thing since sliced bread I only got a 38/50...but you know what....I don't CARE anymore...why? Cause 2 weeks ago I went to Cambridge University and had an interview. Want to know what got me that interview? My major work. I got selected for an interview at Cambridge, frankly I don't give sh*& what the B.O.S markers think cause a Cambridge Professer thinks its wonderful....Its all subjective, but at least you can pick whose opinion you want to listen to!!!

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Skryp said:
^ Says "Ms. Maths Ext 2 & Ms. UAI 99" ....Oh k...you go and take Maths out of your UAI and exhange it for another subject...give yourself the same marks and tell me whether your UAI goes up or down?...

DoOOown. What makes you better just coz you do Maths and not Art? YOu have to study both and work your ass off in both....so why is one rewarded more than the other?
Well I can tell you that I definately put the most time effort into my most "difficult" (high scaling) subject - Maths ext2, and ended up actually getting the lowest aligned mark for MX2 out of all my subjects. Luckily, the scaling structure took into account its capable candidature and the gains they made on the ext1 and 2unit maths students.

Skryp said:
Put some of those maths students in an art room and they would get Zero, much the same if you put the Art ones in the Maths room.

What does this tell you? That different people have different brains and should be marked on the work they do IN a subject...not pre-marked by some crappy scaling system just because their brain doesn't work in the same way as another.
Not an expert on the scaling system but I assure you that the "maths students" will tend to do better in an art room than the "art students" put in a maths room. This is because maths tends to attract more capable all-round candidates than art and so it is more competitive. A friend of mine did art and still got a uai above 99, so it's still possible to do well doing the "less difficult" subjects.

timmay05

HSC
I got 45/50 for the external assessment part of it. And I was rather happy because my piece has such a NARROW target audience, however I know that with the right marker it could have been 48-49, ah well, don't care, most fun I ever had in a subject was with my baby (I called my MW that because the journal I submitted weighed a bit more than a newborn baby)

clairebear

"oh go back to supre"
HSC
Cripple Crow said:
Hearing stories of people starting and finishing their major work in the last 4 weeks and getting great marks ( 40+) depresses me :( . I spent all year on mine and put in so much hard work and got a lousey 33.
i duno if this may ease your pain a tad, but i worked all year on mine and got 49... so at least u can take comfort in the fact that i wasnt a "yer, like i just worked under pressure and i am therefore a genius because i did my major work in like, an hour", but a busy beaver like yourself.

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
Skryp said:
HSC+Subjectiveness = LAME!

I wonder if HSC Markers are like..."nah, this kids mathematic equation doesn't look as nice as that other one...I'll mark him down..."

Like what the fucckk? The system is an absolute piece. It seriously rewards no creativity what so ever...we're all being bred to know money and make money...study maths, business and science and you'll scale well! ;) but not Art or English...they don't matter to this state! :( ...I did my HSC last year and did well so no I am not bitching about my results this year, I just understand how retarded the whole thing is...

I know anyone who has poured their heart into works of art that have been slashed down due to a piss weak scaling system, are sitting their pretty pissed off and dumb founded right now. The whole HSC will change soon enough and you will all be victims of a shitty old curriculum..

Haha I could go on about this but seriously...people have to realise what's going on. Fuucckk the HSC...The thing is ridonculous, scaling system is just out of control stupid. What makes a kid smarter if he's good at maths and you're good at Art? Straight ig'nant maann. Hope you guys still did well though.

Peace.
I hear ya, mate.
*sigh* HSC....

MYy EE2 mark was also crap. I put so much effort into it, worked so hard on it. I understand about the subjectivity point. But it's still heartbreaking to see the mark you get for your hard work.

lilkatie

Yeah I was bummed out by my EE2 mark too
I got 41for ext and i forget what internal but i ended up getting 44..and that was only cos I came 2nd and the girl that came first went really well
So then it made me realise that its easier to get a good UAI if you go to really smart schools as opposed to my school where evryone is stupid =(...cos if i came first in EE2 internally i prob would have got 41

HSC
I got burnt by the internal mark!
I did NOT get below 90% for ONE of my assessments, and ranked 5/7 by probably less than 5% seperating 1st and last place.
I ended up with an internal mark of 38!!! My external mark was 46!!!
The system sucks! Pull the cogs out of it i say! :(

EmMindelan

done, and happy
HSC
I was lucky with EE2; I was ranked first internally amongst a really good cohort at Abbotsleigh, and my MW included things I was reasonably sure the markers would like [anti-war views, postmodernism and the like]...and I'd like to think it was written reasonably well :) [I hope]. So I ended up with an internal mark of 49 and an external mark of 49 as well....which I was really happy about obviously!

However, one of my friends, who I assume was ranked about the middle of a 15-person candidature from my school in Ext 2, received an internal mark of 47, and an external mark of 29. Understandably, she's not happy with her mark. And this was for a MW that we expected would be reasonably popular with the markers - a critical response [of which there were not many in the state this year] on the ways in which romantic comedies have been shaped by and reflect social values over time. It was a good piece of work that should have gotten 35 at the absolute lowest, we thought....but that's subjectivity for you, I guess.

I was pretty sure they didn't remark Ext 2 MWs [and that the BOS policy was to only do clerical rechecks] but others have told me differently. And also, can schools request remarks???

Cripple Crow

HSC
clairebear said:
i duno if this may ease your pain a tad, but i worked all year on mine and got 49... so at least u can take comfort in the fact that i wasnt a "yer, like i just worked under pressure and i am therefore a genius because i did my major work in like, an hour", but a busy beaver like yourself.

Oh well it is nice to finally here of someone being rewarded well for their hard work. Congratulations for your mark, and hopefully there are more people who worked hard all year and went well.
Hehe, I'm a beaver :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)