Who got state ranks? (1 Viewer)

noctua

HSC
I presume that state rankers would be informed by bostes 1 week before the results come out. So who are those who managed to get state ranks, what is your rank and what subjects did you get it for?

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Oh right thanks for the clarification. But wonder if any first placers are on bos
I found from last year, there was a lurker on here who posted when they got the award and put a pic up.

Also there were quite a few state rankers. Once results are out the state rankers will post up here most likely.

mreditor16

HSC
State rankers find out on midday on Wednesday (i.e. the 17th), when they see their name online on BOSTES website.

From what I hear, people who get first in state are notified on Monday (i.e. the 15th) in order to attend a ceremony the next day.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
State rankers find out on midday on Wednesday (i.e. the 17th), when they see their name online on BOSTES website.

From what I hear, people who get first in state are notified on Monday (i.e. the 15th) in order to attend a ceremony the next day.
I find it quite ridiculous that you get invited the day before if you get first in state, not like a week before or something. Like a few of them would probably have plans lol to do something else other than attend the ceremony. But given the nature of how long it takes to mark and stuff I get why its left so last minute.

mreditor16

HSC
I find it quite ridiculous that you get invited the day before if you get first in state, not like a week before or something. Like a few of them would probably have plans lol to do something else other than attend the ceremony. But given the nature of how long it takes to mark and stuff I get why its left so last minute.
marking actually finished ages ago.

it's the determination of aligning and all the relevant processes which takes time. and also BOSTES need to send off all marks to UAC in enough advance for UAC to get all the scaling processes done and calculate ATARs. From what I hear, over the last 7 days, before release of results, its all admin stuff - inputting all final marks into the system etc. everything should be done by now, and our marks are resting in the system. also, right now, they would be in process of making all the merit lists in time for release next week.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
marking actually finished ages ago.

it's the determination of aligning and all the relevant processes which takes time. and also BOSTES need to send off all marks to UAC in enough advance for UAC to get all the scaling processes done and calculate ATARs. From what I hear, over the last 7 days, before release of results, its all admin stuff - inputting all final marks into the system etc. everything should be done by now, and our marks are resting in the system. also, right now, they would be in process of making all the merit lists in time for release next week.
Yeah.

That's why it takes so long. State ranks are determined by factors including your final HSC mark, which requires attention of moderation.

So I guess its once the moderating stage is complete, and a HSC mark is associated with a student number, then they can figure out who ranked in what (also depends with subjects like MX1/MX2 which depend on rankings from each other and the whatnot).

Would be much better though if they organise the ceremony offers earlier. Just saying.

mreditor16

HSC
Yeah.

That's why it takes so long. State ranks are determined by factors including your final HSC mark, which requires attention of moderation.

So I guess its once the moderating stage is complete, and a HSC mark is associated with a student number, then they can figure out who ranked in what (also depends with subjects like MX1/MX2 which depend on rankings from each other and the whatnot).

Would be much better though if they organise the ceremony offers earlier. Just saying.
hmm agreed. but I do get annoyed by the lack of clarity from BOSTES about how state ranks are calculated for subjects like 3u maths, because they say "In the case of extension courses, if two or more students receive equal marks then the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration."

But then how does 3U work?? Do they look at 4U marks? But what if some of the students have only done 3U? And isn't it unfair to look at a higher extension course (i.e. 4U) for determining state ranks for 3U? And then you get rumours of markers looking at individual papers and comparing the quality of working out to determine state ranks.

so idk, can anyone care to illuminate on this??????

angelano33

HSC
Humility through anonymity: first in a not so popular language
They contacted me a few days ago, at first I thought it was a prank since it wasn't through a bostes email or anything, just a phone call haha
Congrats!! Did you get any email confirmation?

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
hmm agreed. but I do get annoyed by the lack of clarity from BOSTES about how state ranks are calculated for subjects like 3u maths, because they say "In the case of extension courses, if two or more students receive equal marks then the marks awarded for other courses in the subject area are also taken into consideration."

But then how does 3U work?? Do they look at 4U marks? But what if some of the students have only done 3U? And isn't it unfair to look at a higher extension course (i.e. 4U) for determining state ranks for 3U? And then you get rumours of markers looking at individual papers and comparing the quality of working out to determine state ranks.

so idk, can anyone care to illuminate on this??????
According Mr 'virtualb15', it is harder for 4U students to get a state rank in 3U, because they look at the marks awarded in your other maths subject, regardless of whether it is 2U or 4U. And thus we see some 2U/3U students get state ranks due to their performance in 2U.

mreditor16

HSC
According Mr 'virtualb15', it is harder for 4U students to get a state rank in 3U, because they look at the marks awarded in your other maths subject, regardless of whether it is 2U or 4U. And thus we see some 2U/3U students get state ranks due to their performance in 2U.
oh really? :/

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I think they're usually told on the Friday before results. That way any rural students who top (though there aren't many) can make arrangements to get to the ceremony.

photastic

HSC
Nope, to state rank 3u, BOSTES according to their website compares results with 4u cos a lot tie 100, hence reasoning why all state ranks for 3U are also 4U students. Therefore it is impossible for 2U students to state rank 3U unless they do not tie with a 4U student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)