Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
tacogym27101990 said:
are there subsets in belonging?
like imaginative, inner and physical journeys
couldn't really imagine what they'd be
No there are no subsets. It is a general concept of 'belonging' for the 2009-2012 students.

However, there are many associated terms such as identity, relationships, alienation et al that journeys did not have. If you recall, you would only have had to use synonyms ie physical travels, fantastical paths, philosophical introspection (phys, imag, inner j's) and the process in the form of catalyst/motivation, tangible/intangible obstacles and higher destination for journeys.

Many of the journey ideas can be appropriated into belonging (i will let the 09ers work that out - and if you are my student, hopefully you already know this) but belonging involves further, deeper ideas.

So far, belonging appears to be the aos most conducive to insightful ideas compared to its two predecessors (change, journeys).

5233andy said:
How could anyone not find elements of English, as a subject, intriguing?

Isn't it just interesting how language connects us all, we, supposedly the smartest species on earth, have the capacity to comprehend so many things, where a word can have so many different meanings.

Think about it, English is very much of a philosophical subject, dealing with the realms of the human psyche.
I'm not sure who you were speaking to or if it was just a general rant: in any case let me answer your rhetoric.

HSC english is not intriguing for the majority of students.

HSC language does not connect us all - in fact the present syllabus is so filled with very idiosyncratic jargon "audience, purpose and form", "language structures and meaning", "representation and meaning" et al that unless you have a teacher or tutor that continues to reinforce such concepts, even a naturally bright 'english' student will not be able to score in the top band.

HSC english can be philosophical though, but not everyone can see it / use it, so do be less severe on those who may be intrinsically repulsed by the study of literature (their personal sentiments) in the future.

This is not polemic, rather i hope you gain a more balanced understanding of the subject it appears you dote on (trust me, i have seen much less motivated / disillusioned students than BoS posters, before).

HSC
Agwees with Bobness. The course is not English but rather English literature. In the spirit of English, i would've articulate myself better but eh...

5233andy

HSC
But through literature, we enter the minds of the composer, we are forced to cultivate an opinion, our stance on the text's underpinnings. It is this aspect which allows for the projection of speech, defining who we, as individuals, are, and ultimately, emphasises growth within a fast decaying world.

Just on Bobness' comments, I have witnessed so many individuals attend eternal tuition for English. That is simply pathetic. Tutors feed them with their own opinions, their understanding of the text, rather than allow for the individual to find their inner-self, in relation to the text.

English does not involve a bunch of words, printed on a piece of recycled paper. English, or aspects that fall under the subject, are very much applicable to the modern society, a society that is changing every single second.

The best way to visit the psychological mindset of an individual would be to enter their world, their understanding of life - literature.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
5233andy said:
But through literature, we enter the minds of the composer, we are forced to cultivate an opinion, our stance on the text's underpinnings. It is this aspect which allows for the projection of speech, defining who we, as individuals, are, and ultimately, emphasises growth within a fast decaying world.

Just on Bobness' comments, I have witnessed so many individuals attend eternal tuition for English. That is simply pathetic. Tutors feed them with their own opinions, their understanding of the text, rather than allow for the individual to find their inner-self, in relation to the text.

English does not involve a bunch of words, printed on a piece of recycled paper. English, or aspects that fall under the subject, are very much applicable to the modern society, a society that is changing every single second.

The best way to visit the psychological mindset of an individual would be to enter their world, their understanding of life - literature.
Why is it pathetic? I would rather get a decent mark with a tutor than fail with my shitty opinions. The HSC is all about the marks. Who cares if you don't develop your philosophical or whatnot interpretation from English.

btw this thread is about belonging.

lovedilara

HSC
hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I’m pretty sure I’m going crazy... belonging is all I can think about and I subconsciously keep trying to relate everything to my prescribed text. Even things like street signs haha…
Not to mention lack of sleep due to intense stress and its been... what, 6 weeks?

Seriously can’t wait for the holidays!!

Kro4LyF

HSC
i know kn belonging

i got fkn hw on that bs for tomoraz lyk wtf am i menta do man!

i dunno fck belonging
shoulda done journey culda taxd ma sis shit

sannous1

HSC
Kro4LyF said:
i know kn belonging

i got fkn hw on that bs for tomoraz lyk wtf am i menta do man!

i dunno fck belonging
shoulda done journey culda taxd ma sis shit
loll funnii

monesh

HSC
i dont hate belonging....i just hate teh text we are doing, As you like it...stupidest Shakespeare play ever written....fuck orlando.....:|

lolrofllol

HSC
Rosalind is a cross-dressing whore.
English is too subjective.
Belonging is, as some would say, 'teh ghey'
Sexual innuendos may have been fun in year 9.

BEGIN
FOR(x; x = 100; x++)
HSC_English <> Philosophy
NEXT X
END

That's some fucked up pseudocode

Last edited:

X-terc

HSC
N/A
cerys said:
Ew. Belonging.

Those Emily Dickinson poems are traumatizing me atm.

:uhoh:
Aw come on they're better than peter skrzynecki's. lmao i am so sick of that guy.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
5233andy said:

While literature does indeed allow us to 'enter the minds of the composer' and '[forces us] to cultivate an opinion', you must realise that every individual has their own set of priorities and interests, of which English may not one of them. While you evidently appreciate the intricacies of literature, not everybody is going to have the same mindset or outlook on it as you do. The fact that students are forced to study English can, in itself, disconnect people from the subject. It is because of this that English has suddenly become a subject whereby the purpose is to gain the necessary marks for a good UAI, before being discarded and forgotten. That's not to say that those who view English this way are unable to express or shape themselves through their individual perspectives though, they simply find the course monotonous and boring. This is what I hate about Advanced English the most - far too often does the subject revolve around reiterating what the teacher said in class.

Oh, I agree with you on how tutoring for English is abit uhh... 'pathetic'. Maybe help with how you structure your essay or greater exposure to the concept being studied would be beneficial, but that's more like a workshop kind of thing, far far far different from some tutoring course run throughout the year.

Taylor Ward

HSC
Who hates belonging? ME!

I hate belonging.

Come to think of it... I just hate english, regardless of what concept we are forced to study. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)