Who IS NOT memorising any essays for English? (1 Viewer)

fionarykim

HSC
i sorta like write 2-3 essays for each module, and them altogether would include my main and strongest arguments
and i just sorta memorise them all, and during the exam just pick out the sections of each essay which answer the Question the best LOL

if that makes sense? like technically im memorising word for word almost, but i like cut like paragraphs out of different essays to answer the question given :p

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
of the 10% of people who get B6 for english 90% memorise
Don't kid yourself and think you can write a better essay in the spot than people who memorise brilliant essays (the majority of which are written by tutors).

Those who memorise essays and don't even adapt them to the question................. well thats a whole new issue
Don't be jealous of me.

Btw a large majority of tutors cbs writing out essays. That is if you have a good tutor at least, who actually has a full understanding of english as a subject. Not just rand, who got a band 6 last year. Also if tutors are writing out essays, watch those kids fail when they get to university, where they will completely have a lack of writing skills.

i sorta like write 2-3 essays for each module, and them altogether would include my main and strongest arguments
and i just sorta memorise them all, and during the exam just pick out the sections of each essay which answer the Question the best LOL

if that makes sense? like technically im memorising word for word almost, but i like cut like paragraphs out of different essays to answer the question given :p
Dude. You're commiting 2-3 times to your memory as me. How do you do it?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
People saying I don't memorize, well first of all your fucked in the head and secondly how da fuck do you wirting a band 6 essay on the spot. Its all fucken bullshit when people say I don't memorize, the truth you do memorize if you get anything above 17+/20. Those who get less than 15/20 are the ones who don't memorize. I personally achived 104/105 in Trials and memorize all my essays. So fuck those who lie. Dam mother fuckers, go to hell.
+1. Although, no need to rage about it tho.

HSC
How is everyone preparing for the English Paper 1 and 2 for advanced. Would it be a good idea to just go in the exam with one ORT for Paper 1 belonging essay and One creative writing.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
+1. Although, no need to rage about it tho.
100% in last exam, just knew my texts really well. Memorizing is not necessary, just know your texts and answer the question. As long as you can structure an essay (which isn't hard to learn) high band six is fully attainable without just remembering an essay. If you put the amount of time into research into your text instead of mindlessly remembering something the essay you would end up writing would be far more complex and sophisticated in nature (in my experience at least).

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
nah not quite it was 99/105
but it probably wasn't marked hard enough
Also my biggest concern.

Prior to the trials I had never even considered memorising my essays, that was until I realised that every single person I know who achieved 95+ in Advanced memorised their essays. In the trials I memorised the extended responses for Paper 1. For the HSC I'll be memorising everything.

Makematics

HSC
100% in last exam, just knew my texts really well. Memorizing is not necessary, just know your texts and answer the question. As long as you can structure an essay (which isn't hard to learn) high band six is fully attainable without just remembering an essay. If you put the amount of time into research into your text instead of mindlessly remembering something the essay you would end up writing would be far more complex and sophisticated in nature (in my experience at least).
Lel not everyone has the ability to create and smash out a thesis in 40 mins

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I will never understand how people can write a great essay on the spot ... haha I definitely memorised :p :p
Amen brudda...

guys

this girl

trials 100/105

no memorisation

she's the next jk rowling
Yeah my girlfriend did the same... fricken 102/105 in her trials and her school is known for tough English marking. Fucking shat bricks, although I have to say, JK Rowling's writing is nothing special, but her creativity makes up for that.

True, but it's harder for most who can't write exceptionally on the spot. On the spot writing typically leads to extremes - either you do amazingly or you do poorly. I think you'll find far less people do average when they wing it instead of those who pre-prepared responses.

The problem I have with the latter part of your statement is that you're required to memorise that research and the text to actually be able to write something about it. Obviously you would have thought long and hard about it (which is where the complexity and sophistication in your essay comes into the picture), but just because people memorise a generic doesn't mean they didn't think long and hard about it when they wrote it either. In Years 7 - 11 I winged every single essay in English and didn't get anything less than 18/20. In Year 12, I simply put my thoughts to paper beforehand so I didn't have to wing it. That's the technique a person capitalising on memorising an essay is using, and it's a technique that doesn't fail the students who actually worked hard for it. Someone in one of the earlier posts in this thread said that they write out an essay 2-3 times and find different ideas come into it each time. That is something that happens for a lot of students who memorise - a generic is not all that inflexible. If it is, then it is not generic. Discouraging memorising generics is irresponsible as most people cannot write something of incredible quality on the spot. It's a genuine talent. The same way formulas in math aren't necessary as you can figure out what you need to do using pure logic, you wouldn't discourage not knowing them at all or having memorised them. Memorising leads to a greater understanding of the texts in most cases anyway, since you refine those ideas constantly, which is where complexity and sophistication also come. If you don't know your text well, then you're overly relying on that 1 essay which of course is risky in itself. But good students will know the text and have a prepared answer because they've already developed their argument and opinions on the text, and just want to refine them.

Also, it might interest you to know that all the teachers at my school that are HSC markers always mention that basically all of the essays they give anything 18+ in the externals are clearly memorised essays, just obviously adapted well. You'd be surprised what teachers can tell. I also have it on reliable sources that most state rankers (*cough*thestaterankersthemselves*cough) memorise their essays, and that includes 1st place getters in the past too. And the number of those who do memorise and state rank outnumber the ones who don't by a considerable margin.

Last edited:

fionarykim

HSC
Don't be jealous of me.

Btw a large majority of tutors cbs writing out essays. That is if you have a good tutor at least, who actually has a full understanding of english as a subject. Not just rand, who got a band 6 last year. Also if tutors are writing out essays, watch those kids fail when they get to university, where they will completely have a lack of writing skills.

Dude. You're commiting 2-3 times to your memory as me. How do you do it?
I agree with you, i dont think many tutors actually write out essays...

LOL idk... i just assume everyone does that? unless you're memorising one long generic essay which sorta makes up my 2-3 different essays?

i will have to admit though, the few times that ive been forced to write essays out of memory (happened twice in the trial i didnt even use the related i had prepared -sigh) i had done slightly better than when i actually wrote 90% of my memorised essay... idk if coincidence or LOL

Last edited:

loversinjapan

Swag Queen
HSC
i will have to admit though, the few times that ive been forced to write essays out of memory (happened twice in the trial i didnt even use the related i had prepared -sigh) i had done slightly better than when i actually wrote 90% of my memorised essay... idk if coincidence or LOL
This may be a testament to your ability to integrate the question/mould your memorised essay.

NWO

HSC
lol waht do u mean "memorise"? Im not gonna memorise intro, just quotes techniques analysis and couple of thesis. Who is going to integrate their essays?

NWO

HSC
integrate essays or block essays?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)